Vanguard Now Says End Of December

Started by ProdigalJim, December 17, 2016, 10:28:07 PM

ProdigalJim

I sent an email to the folks at Vanguard to find out the latest on getting the appropriate insignia for Sage Fleece jackets, and got the following reply earlier this week:

"We are hoping to receive the fleece insignia before the end of the month.   They will be posted on our website and advertised on our social media sites as soon as they are available.

As a distributer, we are left at the mercy of our manufacturers.  When it comes to developing new items, there is constant back and forth between us, the manufacturer and CAP NHQ to ensure that a quality product is being made according to uniform regulations and at a fair price for everyone.  Any previous dates we may have had for this product's arrival were, at the time, the most updated information we had to share with our customers, directly from our manufacturer.  We apologize for the delay and assure that we are looking forward to receiving this insignia as much as our customers."

So there you have it, straight from our exclusive no-one-else-can-play source of insignia.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/XP
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Storm Chaser

Officer grade insignias are not unique to CAP. You may be able to get these from another vendor. You just need to make sure the colors match.

Abby.L

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 17, 2016, 10:54:43 PM
Officer grade insignias are not unique to CAP. You may be able to get these from another vendor. You just need to make sure the colors match.

I just took one of my 1stLt insignias to an alteration place and had them sew it into a 2x2 square with velcro. Worked just fine, albeit was annoying having to go through a whole different process just to get the insignia made. Any competent tailor should be able to make a 2x2 square with what's given.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

PHall

Quote from: Levi Lockling on December 18, 2016, 02:56:38 AM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 17, 2016, 10:54:43 PM

I just took one of my 1stLt insignias to an alteration place and had them sew it into a 2x2 square with velcro. Worked just fine, albeit was annoying having to go through a whole different process just to get the insignia made. Any competent tailor should be able to make a 2x2 square with what's given.

I'm more "thrifty" then you. I just took a grade insignia and folded it and sewed it into a 2" x 2" square and glued it to a 2" x 2" velcro hooks square using contact cement. Trust me, the contact cement is not going to let go anytime soon!

NIN

Quote from: PHall on December 18, 2016, 03:00:46 AM
I'm more "thrifty" then you. I just took a grade insignia and folded it and sewed it into a 2" x 2" square and glued it to a 2" x 2" velcro hooks square using contact cement. Trust me, the contact cement is not going to let go anytime soon!

2x2 square, sewn down on 2x2 velcro.

Contact cement. Amateur.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: NIN on December 18, 2016, 02:09:12 PM

Contact cement. Amateur.

I don't have a sewing machine like you do.

NIN

Quote from: PHall on December 18, 2016, 03:51:41 PM
I don't have a sewing machine like you do.

Geez, Phil, you're killing me.

This was my first one. Subsequent ones have been better.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Luis R. Ramos

Maybe we will ask Nin to sew insignias for other members, the members to pay for shipping and handling?

>:D

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on December 18, 2016, 02:09:12 PM

Seriously - took about 5 minutes.  Granted, some cadets have an issue but considering the small number in BDUs who are NCOs, overall this is a non-problem.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 18, 2016, 04:48:02 PM
Maybe we will ask Nin to sew insignias for other members, the members to pay for shipping and handling?

>:D

If I had a source of fabric, I'd be killing it for cadets right now. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

Since we know they come from a third party, it's just a matter of spending the time to find a
supplier.

It took me a bit, but I eventually found ultramarine blue - I'll see if that company sells the dark navy.

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/copy-of-civil-air-patrol-gortex-jacket-tab-non-commissioned-officers

Has anyone tried this? Relatively reasonable price give our circumstances.
Obviously a cadet only fix, but if it is tall enough we could do officers too.

1st Lt Raduenz

Jester

I have one of those but the fleece tab shouldn't have the CAP on it right?  I don't need embroidered officer rank, just the right blank tab to put a metal SSgt pin on.

I suppose I could easily pull that embroidery off then slap the cloth on some Velcro.

Eclipse

Quote from: Jester on December 18, 2016, 10:11:14 PM
I have one of those but the fleece tab shouldn't have the CAP on it right?  I don't need embroidered officer rank, just the right blank tab to put a metal SSgt pin on.

I suppose I could easily pull that embroidery off then slap the cloth on some Velcro.

Correct.

If you tried to remove that embroidery there will still be a shadow of the material being all poked out.

"That Others May Zoom"

ProdigalJim

Quote from: DakRadz on December 18, 2016, 08:21:45 PM
https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/copy-of-civil-air-patrol-gortex-jacket-tab-non-commissioned-officers

Has anyone tried this? Relatively reasonable price give our circumstances.
Obviously a cadet only fix, but if it is tall enough we could do officers too.

1st Lt Raduenz

Unfortunately it's the wrong size. And the "CAP" has to go.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/XP
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Sapper168

I picked up some material and am making a bunch of blanks for myself and to put in the squadron supply box for cadets.  I would be happy to kick one or two your way.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Jester

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on December 19, 2016, 12:49:42 AM

I picked up some material and am making a bunch of blanks for myself and to put in the squadron supply box for cadets.  I would be happy to kick one or two your way.

Totally legitski. I'll PM you in a bit.

biomed441

Looks like vanguard is making good on this. Fleece insignia are now available to order, they just haven't uploaded images yet. I also failed to notice one for Majors.... But it may be there now...

TheSkyHornet

I took my sew-on to the tailor a couple of weeks ago and had her make me a 2x2 velcro (sorry, hook and loop) for the fleece. Looks amazing; professional. Turns out, she makes patches for police departments. Little did I know...

Unfortunately, it costs me more ordering the velcro and the patch, plus shipping, and then having the tailor piece it together. Ugh.

RogueLeader

Quote from: biomed441 on December 30, 2016, 11:06:05 PM
Looks like vanguard is making good on this. Fleece insignia are now available to order, they just haven't uploaded images yet. I also failed to notice one for Majors.... But it may be there now...

Not yet.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

supertigerCH

Major or 2nd Lieutenant. 

Looks like (for some reason) they haven't been able to produce the ranks that use gold (yellow) thread... instead of silver (white).  Changing the thread in the machines... I suppose is a complicated process.

Luis R. Ramos

I am a Major. Don't know how they are getting away with this but I got mine like three weeks ago...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

RazorbackPride

No FO grade either. Looks like FO's should be getting BBDU's at this time to avoid being stuck with out of reg ABU's and therefore no field uniform. My money is on Vanguard treating it like the flight suit insignia and deciding there's not enough demand to make a profit.

Too bad those who know better won't let us wear polos on GT.

Ed Bos

Quote from: RazorbackPride on January 03, 2017, 10:20:08 PM
No FO grade either. Looks like FO's should be getting BBDU's at this time to avoid being stuck with out of reg ABU's and therefore no field uniform. My money is on Vanguard treating it like the flight suit insignia and deciding there's not enough demand to make a profit.

Too bad those who know better won't let us wear polos on GT.

You can wear a polo on GT.

/BAM ... Can of worms, OPENED!  ;D

CAPM 39-1 Table 1-1, it's not prohibited.

Things to remember: 1) Just because you can, doesn't mean you should; 2) the ABU, BDU, & corporate equivalent are designed for working in the field, the cotton polo is designed for an afternoon playing tennis; 3) if you're the GTL/GOBD and you authorize a team to conduct operations in the polo, you had better be certain that nothing bad will happen where you'd have to justify sending a team out without long sleeves, durable cloth, etc...

Since their safety is your primary concern and if someone decides you're at fault and didn't adequately address the team's needs then your deviation from the norm will reflect poorly on your judgement.

If you want to 'press to test,' I say try it out with a pair of black combat boots, grey tactical pants, and a rigger's belt.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001