Main Menu

To re-new or not

Started by CAPDCCMOM, November 30, 2016, 05:02:58 PM

Simplex

This was the post I was looking for. Struggling with the same issues. I can see 20 years just over the horizon and would really like to get that certificate even if I have to call like Robert did. I don't like to 'quit'. Posts like this have helped me over the years as has the whole of CAP Talk. Thank you all for you insightful comments and suggestions.

I'll probably renew, just not yet.

Happy New Year everyone!

docrameous

I joined CAP to have fun and serve my country.  When I renew, I have have to weigh up the challenges against whether I am still having fun and  I able to serve my country for another year.  So far, the answer has been yes.

Eclipse

The only real retention program CAP has is "Sunk Cost".

Hi Nin!

"That Others May Zoom"

LATORRECA

Staying or not is a issue with yours personal growth and satisfaction you can get out of it.  For some reason. I always find a reason to continue. I do find the people and sense of devotion of others very respectable plus I do cherished my time as cadet many moons away and I want my cadets to have the same opportunities I did. For that reason I stay. Screw the people whom stayed around because is a flying club. Stay do good and carry on.

Top Latorre

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

SarDragon

Removed two duplicate posts.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

McDaddy2003

I was a former cadet and became an inactive Senior at the squadron while I was active duty Air Force. Being Security Forces, I never really had an opportunity to transfer to Ramstein Composite or Eglin Composite (Kunsan obviously didn't have a unit LOL). Whenever I was in town on military leave I attended my meetings, and participated in weekend activities as this "guy often referred to but never seen".

I separated from Active Duty in Jan 2010 and became a full member, but April 2010 saw me become an Active Guard Reservist in my Reserve unit (ABGD Instructor for Security Forces Pre-deployment). As training requirements shifted to more focus of night operations by July 2011, plus recently becoming married, I dropped my membership. With new reductions of the total force, my full-time commitment came to an end in September 2015, and I reverted to a Traditional Reserve status and gained employment with a defense contractor (Stark Industries as a hint).

Now my life has more free time to dedicate to CAP and an interested step-son old enough to join, I rejoined my CAP unit and am still waiting on my membership to process through.

Why did you join? Have the reasons why you joined changed? At the very least, I'd argue renewing membership one more year and "ghost", keep contact with the unit. Maybe things can change. I wanted out as a cadet in 2001, but 9/11 motivated me to stay in. I really regret dropping my membership in 2011.

Starbux

I can definitely relate to what the OP is referring to.  I have been on the business end of this in my past CAP life in the 90's and early 2000's.  I would throw out the hip pocket stat that 80% of the organization are genuine volunteers wanting to contribute for the right reasons.  Then there are the 20% who's sole motivation is to inflate their ego with awards, power and positions.  These are the people who flaunt there rank let you know that you are a Lt and they are a Capt.  Some of these people are not just toxic leaders, I have run across some real nasty human beings in the past.  These minority will wreck the organization.  I have seen so many good people ran out because of them.  They play games like trying to get others actioned on for minor nebulous causes.  Like SM X hosts Y activiity it turns out there is a gray area whether Y Activity was allowed.  SM "Pig" gets wind of the activity finds some nebulous rule that may or may not have been broken.  Instead of SM Pig being reasonable, he starts the phone chain and gets a complaint filed and an investigation going.  Usually the people he called don't have the full context what really happened, so they knee jerk and start throwing their input in.  Then before you know it SM X has a lynch mob brewing.  Usually the issue is resolved once it hits wing, but not after the rumor train has started and not after a bunch of people write staff memos recommending 2B action or suspension. 

So then SM X can either say yeah I will continue to support the organization or they opt to leave.  Unfortunately 90% of the time they will leave. 

Now that I rejoined, I don't plan on trying to be the becon of change.  I accept that this organization is what it is.  I don't have time in my life to get into a spat with someone over their little domain.  I support the mission do what I can to contribute.  I don't expect to be bothered by someone who may have an insecurity complex and CAP is their only achievement in life.

MSG Mac

I was in your shoes last year, let two renewal notices go by and was talking to a former National Commander about not renewing. He told me that after almost 50 years of CAP service that I had much to pass on to the younger generation. It's not the local people, but the Wing and Region Commanders that I have lost faith in. Wing Commander lies and prevaricated, Region Commander looks like a blivic in uniform and wears a National Guard medal around his neck. When reminded that it was a violation of CAPR 39-3, he replied " The National Commander hasn't said anything about it" Hopefully when MG Vasquez steps down in August, the new CAP/CC will replace him.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Luis R. Ramos

What the heck is a "Blivic?"

PM sent.

[Edited to add]

Never mind, I found the meaning.

:-[
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

James Shaw

Well I decided to renew again for year #17. My son is looking at the pros and cons of CAP and NJROTC. In the past he has leaned towards NJROTC more so because I use to be in the Navy. He has been telling his mother and I that he may want to go into the Air Force instead of the Navy because he wants to work as a Biomedical Equipment Technician and the USAF has a great program. Initially I wanted him to keep with the family tradition of serving in the Navy as most of my family has done, but that has been my desire and not his. He wants to look at the programs for both services and really understand what they have and what future prospects look like with both services.

He is a smarter young man at 17 than I was and is approaching it better than I did. I chose the Navy for tradition and he is looking at it more objectively.

Whatever his decision is he will not make it lightly and understand more than I did at that age simply because he is not trying to get away from the house he wants a career. I've always known he was a smart and capable kid, but he surprised us with his plans and rationale. Whatever service if any he chooses will be right for him and his future.

The Squadron he is in has more SM's now than anytime in the past that I can remember and I feel like an out of place Dinosaur at times. They are a great group of folks that are very dedicated to the cadets and the missions.

For me Safety is my thing,  Emergency Services is growing on me more and more, and Professional Development is where I may be more active help.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current