Main Menu

Former Cadet Returns as SM

Started by MC653, November 25, 2016, 10:42:02 PM

MC653

I am looking for guidance and advice regarding some issues. I'm a former Cadet that was absent for more than ten years. Am I still allowed to wear the qualification badges that I previously earned? This would include ground team basic, solo flight, etc? Also, I have acquired some training since then. ICS 400, FEMA instructor, EMI courses, should I hand in copies of this training? Is it worth the effort to copy it all to handle in to squadron commander?

Eclipse

Quote from: MC653 on November 25, 2016, 10:42:02 PM
Am I still allowed to wear the qualification badges that I previously earned?

Yes, those are permanent.  If your previous membership pre-dates eServices then you
should get them re-recorded in Ops Quals.

Quote from: MC653 on November 25, 2016, 10:42:02 PM
Also, I have acquired some training since then. ICS 400, FEMA instructor, EMI courses, should I hand in copies of this training? Is it worth the effort to copy it all to handle in to squadron commander?

If yo have 400, then presumably you also have 300 - both of those are applicable and will be needed at some point if you're in
ES at the BD or higher level. The others, probably not.

What was your cadet grade when you left?

"That Others May Zoom"

MC653

Spaceman3750

If you can teach 300 and 400 then your FEMA instructor skills could be in high demand.

MC653

Why is that? Do you not have 300 and 400 offered by your state EM organization?

Eclipse

Quote from: MC653 on November 26, 2016, 03:39:45 AM
Why is that? Do you not have 300 and 400 offered by your state EM organization?

Yes, and funded by grants, but not many CAP people can take time off during the week to attended the classes which
is when they are generally offered, especially 400.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: MC653 on November 26, 2016, 01:26:41 AM
Cadet First Lieutenant

At that level, in addition to ES badges you may have earned, you are eligible for immediate promotion to 2d Lt (after L1 & CPPT,
and may wear your Mitchell award along with any commendations, unit citations, service ribbons, encampment
and NCSA ribbons, finds, ASAR or DR and possibly CAC and recruiter (would have to look those up).

"That Others May Zoom"

MC653

After your last post, I did some reading on requirements to teach NIMS/ICS. I'm going to have to get some documents to prove I did exercises and other things at State EM. It's a shame that our people can't get these courses without such difficulty.Thanks for the help.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: MC653 on November 26, 2016, 04:17:43 AM
After your last post, I did some reading on requirements to teach NIMS/ICS. I'm going to have to get some documents to prove I did exercises and other things at State EM. It's a shame that our people can't get these courses without such difficulty.Thanks for the help.

A lot of county or state level volunteers have the same issue with class availability. If you can teach them, open them to all, great way to connect with other agencies and make them aware of CAP.

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on November 26, 2016, 03:53:24 AM
Quote from: MC653 on November 26, 2016, 01:26:41 AM
Cadet First Lieutenant

At that level, in addition to ES badges you may have earned, you are eligible for immediate promotion to 2d Lt (after L1 & CPPT,
and may wear your Mitchell award along with any commendations, unit citations, service ribbons, encampment
and NCSA ribbons, finds, ASAR or DR and possibly CAC and recruiter (would have to look those up).

Under a 2 year break in membership is how it's worded in the regulation.  CAC is certainly a senior ribbon now.  Remember that the criteria for Senior Recruiter is different, so not every recipient of Cadet Recruiter can transfer over to Senior Recruiter.  I have lots of them.  You can have some of mine. 

Eclipse

Under a 2-year break is the waiver on Level 1, but the other stuff doesn't have a timetable I can see.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: CAPR 35-53-6. Former CAP Cadets. Upon reaching age 21, former CAP cadets who reached certain levels of achievement in the CAP cadet program are eligible for appointment to the officer grades outlined in figure 4. (See figure 8 for grades authorized former cadets under age 21). NOTE: These members are exempt from the foundations portion of Level I of the Professional Development Program provided they have less than a 2-year membership break prior to assuming active member status. The CPPT and OPSEC portions must be completed prior to any promotion action.

Cadet AwardGrade Authorized
Mitchell Second Lieutenant
Earhart First Lieutenant
Spaatz Captain
Figure 4. Officer Grades Authorized for Former CAP Cadets Age 21 and Older.

3-7. Former Members. A former member may be reinstated to the same grade held prior to voluntary membership termination, provided he or she qualifies for that grade under current criteria (including applicable professional development criteria). A recommendation for such reinstatement is neither automatic nor mandatory. If approved, the appointment will not be retroactive and the date of grade will be the date validated by National Headquarters upon reinstatement.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

MC653

It seems like quite a bit has changed. Perhaps I'm looking through the lens of a Senior Member now. The uniform issue seems to be a big issue. Gone are the smurfs and now blue bdus. As a law enforcement professional I'm not sure about wearing the same color and style of bdus that I wore for various duties. Considering we have been targeted by people with a political agenda. Seems like a safety thing to me. But I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse you guys have covered at length

Eclipse

Of all the issues the multi-form has, this hasn't been one of them.

"That Others May Zoom"

stillamarine

I'm a cop and work in the "3rd dangerous city" (by the FBI per capita I guess lol). I wear the blue bdus. Not once have I thought about being mistaken as a cop in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

HandsomeWalt_USMC

Another cop here. Blue BDUs are our class C/inclement weather uniform. Without the shoulder patches, badge and gun belt, I don't think the danger is there with the BBDUs. Security guards wearing police type uniforms manage to get around safely enough.
I actually just ordered a BBDU blouse and cover along with CAP insignia for it with the express intent of keeping it in the car for those days I get off a detail or OT shift at 1800 and have to be at CAP at 1900. Drop my duty belt and vest in the trunk, secure my heater in the box, put on the CAP blouse and I'm good to go. I already keep a set of work BDUs in the car for contingency anyway. The convenience far outweight the danger in my opinion.

Edited to fix typos.
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"