Squadron Officer School MSOS003_22A: Section 1: SOS Distance Learning presents t

Started by vento, November 24, 2016, 06:22:28 AM

vento

Just saw this notice about changes in SOS.

Squadron Officer School MSOS003_22A: Section 1: SOS Distance Learning presents the new eSchool of Graduate PME

Air University will be officially launching its new "eSchool of Graduate PME," early next year. The eSchool brings distance learning education programs from Squadron Officer College (SOC), Air Command and Staff College (ASCS), and Air War College (AWC) together under one entity. As part of this initiative, SOS Distance Learning Course 22 is being phased out over the next year in favor of this improved PME experience for the CGO-level. The new eSchool of Graduate PME is providing exciting new educational experiences by offering more learning options and a richer experience to enhance students' leadership and professional growth. Current SOS students will have the opportunity to complete their current studies before Course 22 closes. More information will be provided in the coming weeks, so please hold all non-emergency questions until that time. For urgent questions, however, please contact Student Services through the "Help Ticket" option through the SOS website.

Mathews

I got this email as well. I'm in SOS now, about to take the second course exam.  As it stands, SOS is basically an independent study course, but it is my understanding the ACSC and AWC are modeled on traditional online graduate courses, with interaction with faculty and other students, written assignments, discussion fora, etc.   Perhaps they are incorporating these elements into SOS as well. 

It would be an improvement.  The current model for SOS is to read the material and then take a test. 

THRAWN

I agree it would be an improvement. SOS hasn't had a change to the method of instruction, if it could be called that, in the 15 years since I've graduated. When I did ACSC, it was an independent study effort as well. I'm glad to see that they're moving to a more interactive approach.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

raivo

Quote from: Mathews on November 28, 2016, 10:40:15 PM
I got this email as well. I'm in SOS now, about to take the second course exam.  As it stands, SOS is basically an independent study course, but it is my understanding the ACSC and AWC are modeled on traditional online graduate courses, with interaction with faculty and other students, written assignments, discussion fora, etc.   Perhaps they are incorporating these elements into SOS as well. 

It would be an improvement.  The current model for SOS is to read the material and then take a test.

The in-residence course phased out tests awhile ago, and is nowadays mostly based off of the things you mentioned. It sounds like they're finally changing the distance learning course to more closely mirror the in-residence course (as much as they can.)

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."