Main Menu

Friends of CAP?

Started by disamuel, November 18, 2016, 02:14:16 AM

Ozzy

The difference is that Friends of CAP are not members at all. They can't wear the uniform, can't ride in our vehicles, can't participate in any program (Other then those open to the public), and don't get a membership card or CAP ID. They do get some discounts but that is about it.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on November 18, 2016, 02:35:56 AM
Another "Good Idea".

Gotta find that "Good Idea Fairy" and get them to stop! >:D

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Quote from: PHall on November 18, 2016, 04:45:00 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 18, 2016, 02:35:56 AM
Another "Good Idea".

Gotta find that "Good Idea Fairy" and get them to stop! >:D

You know that the Good Idea Fairy Spray is that last item on the FNG search list, right?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

Not to mention, it is a funding source that puts zero strain on those of us at any level, other than the foundations department.  Whats the issue?  It solves headaches such as the empty shirt syndrome for those that want to be affiliated, but know they can't spend any time in the organization, won't even make half-hearted attempts and fail to follow through like a lot of members.  As they aren't Patron Members, they don't show up and skew our numbers.

I've seen worse ideas come out, by far.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 19, 2016, 01:01:46 AM
Not to mention, it is a funding source that puts zero strain on those of us at any level, other than the foundations department.

In addition to putting "zero strain" it also results in "zero money" for the local unit, which is where $35 could make an
actual difference.

The magazine is already "free", and the other "benefits"?  Other than CCB, which could be of value, but is borderline unethical
to use in a case like this, the other "benefits" are pretty useless.

Now, if this had a box at the end that designated the Unit or Wing which would receive the full donation, you'd have my attention.

I agree there are worse "ideas", but where are the "better" ones?  And for that matter what's this money needed for?

[/whine]

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2016, 01:53:09 AM
Not to mention, it is a funding source that puts zero strain on those of us at any level, other than the foundations department.

In addition to putting "zero strain" it also results in "zero money" for the local unit, which is where $35 could make an
actual difference.

I agree there are worse "ideas", but where are the "better" ones?  And for that matter what's this money needed for?

Unless local unit charges dues, the local unit never sees any of your dues anyways.

Aren't you always complaining that NHQ should be inspecting things or do more that invariably requires funds to do so?  Here's more funding. . . .
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 19, 2016, 02:00:55 AM
Unless local unit charges dues, the local unit never sees any of your dues anyways.

There is money that goes direct to my , at least.  Why would the average commander,
or even member, encourage someone to join this way when they could just donate locally and have real impact?

Aren't you always complaining that NHQ should be inspecting things or do more that invariably requires funds to do so? 

No, I'm literally not - the kind of oversite NHQ needs to be doing requires statistics and internet access not travel dollars.
But numbers make people sad, and command tours make people happy, so there you go.

Here's more funding. . .

Again, for what?

Granted, as you say, it's zero strain, and my whiner is up on high tonight, so whatever, but with all that needs to be
done across the board, even just correcting and fixing plans and programs, all we ever see published
are WWII articles and "good ideas".

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Ok, you got me on whining about command tours, others do.  Got it.

Would you say that National Operations are adequately funded?  If so, why?  I can think of other ways that we can legitimately use more funding.  If not, why are you complaining about another revenue source?  Do you think that the whole of CAP has enough funds?  Again, same questions.

Would the average member suggest this, I doubt it, but I don't think that is necessarily the point.  I think that they mean to go after those points of contact that don't require member contact, ie social media, magazine advertising, etc.  Just my total WAG.

I just do not see what it can hurt, and I can see what it can gain us.  Me thinks you need a new set of perspective glasses.

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 19, 2016, 02:30:47 AM
I just do not see what it can hurt, and I can see what it can gain us.  Me thinks you need a new set of perspective glasses.

Probably - the ones I have are all fogged up from running in place for a decade.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2016, 01:53:09 AM

actual difference.

The magazine is already "free", and the other "benefits"?  Other than CCB, which could be of value, but is borderline unethical
to use in a case like this, the other "benefits" are pretty useless.

Now, if this had a box at the end that designated the Unit or Wing which would receive the full donation, you'd have my attention.

[/whine]

There is ZERO nationally mandated trickle down of National dues to the local units. The lowest level your dues check gets to is the wing. If your wing happens to do that, good on them, because the other four wings I've belonged to have never been that generous.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RRLE

The USCGAux did something like this ten years ago. The results have been negligible. They probably spent more money promoting the program then they ever earned from it.

DJ Light Chop

Are they getting rid of national patron memberships?  I notice the "how to join" section of the cap website doesn't have patron mentioned anymore, it has just got that friend of cap thing.  I can use google archeology to find patron stuff, however.

http://gocivilairpatrol.com/how_to_join/

Eclipse

It's still here: http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/cap_home/patrons/index.cfm

Our Russian friend posted a slide from a recent conference that indicated "new" terminology
for member categories, however that was in the early part of the year with nothing else mentioned.

The problem with Patrons isn't the newbs, it's the existing ones who have been told Patron membership
"freezes" grade and PD until such time as they want to become active again.

"That Others May Zoom"

DJ Light Chop

I originally joined as a patron because I worked in the evenings when all the squadrons in my area met.  About 9 months later my schedule changed and I was able to become a regular member.  I was quite surprised that my promotion to lieutenant happened within about a month, they counted the patron time which surprised me.

Ned

In my discussions with the staff, the Friends program has two major benefits.

First, increasing public awareness about the organization and the amazing things our volunteers do to assist their communities and states.  Second, establish a "connection" between the Friends and CAP so that later-- perhaps when life circumstances change -- we can convert friends to regular members.  In the meantime, Friends will receive regular doses of information about CAP.  There is some serious marketing and development theory going on here in terms of establishing and perhaps eventually exploiting the relationship.  The Friends will have a (relatively minor) "investment" in us, and that, surprisingly often accordingly to the experts in the field, leads to long term changes in attitude and behavior.

The money collected will be directed toward cadet programs and AE/STEM.  Definitely a "Win-win."

Ned Lee
National Cadet Program Manager

Alaric

Quote from: Ned on November 21, 2016, 05:58:25 PM

The money collected will be directed toward cadet programs and AE/STEM.  Definitely a "Win-win."

Ned Lee

That's a bit of bait and switch if its only being used for cadet programs and AE/STEM

From the website

...Becoming a Friend of CAP supports the organization's commitment and service to its communities through aerospace education, cadet programs and emergency services.

Can't we be truthful when soliciting for money, what happened to integrity?  Most people I know who want to join but don't have the time are interested in the ES/DR mission

RogueLeader

Quote from: Alaric on November 21, 2016, 09:05:08 PM
Quote from: Ned on November 21, 2016, 05:58:25 PM

Ned Lee

That's a bit of bait and switch if its only being used for cadet programs and AE/STEM

From the website

...Becoming a Friend of CAP supports the organization's commitment and service to its communities through aerospace education, cadet programs and emergency services.

Can't we be truthful when soliciting for money, what happened to integrity?  Most people I know who want to join but don't have the time are interested in the ES/DR mission

From the email sent out today:
QuoteProceeds earned from Friends of CAP will be used to help support cadet programs and AE/STEM. For more information, please check out frequently asked questions or email giving@capnhq.gov.

While it is not unheard of the left hand not know the right, I might suggest you ask for clarification before you start calling people out for all that nonsense you just did.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340