Main Menu

CAPR 190-1 November 2016

Started by Eclipse, November 16, 2016, 11:18:20 PM

Eclipse

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R190_001_70FAF7B447A02.pdf

SUMMARY OF CHANGES.
• Removes requirement for units below wing to submit a Crisis Communication Plan.
• Requires Public Affairs Officers (PAO) at region, wing and group levels to provide training for subordinate unit PAOs.
• Corrects all references to "Public Relations" to "Public Affairs".
• Specifies planning cycle as the first quarter of each calendar year.
• Requires familiarity with Branding Master Plan and use of the Brand Resource Guide; emphasizes website unity, CAP specified in metadata and photo captions and a unified presence in use of social media.
• Specifies Public Affairs (PA) content on websites be no older than three months.
• Denotes requirements for National Public Information Officer Team.
• Specifies cadets may enter Balsem Awards competition.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Again, I'm glad for the established compliance elements, and most importantly on how to clear any discrepancies that are found.  I also appreciate it clearly defines which are SUI elements and CI Elements.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

I'm surprised that they didn't change the numbering to reflect to publications revamp.. New PA series is 150 instead of the 190 series.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2016, 11:18:20 PM

• Specifies Public Affairs (PA) content on websites be no older than three months.

Would someone please define "PA Content" for me? If my Squadron host some kind of event and we post photos and text about it for publicity and recruitment on our website, surely we can leave that online for more than 3 months. Potential recruits should be able to 'scroll back' so to speak and see all our activities over the last year or more.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

SarDragon

Quote from: etodd on November 17, 2016, 02:06:16 AM

Would someone please define "PA Content" for me? If my Squadron host some kind of event and we post photos and text about it for publicity and recruitment on our website, surely we can leave that online for more than 3 months. Potential recruits should be able to 'scroll back' so to speak and see all our activities over the last year or more.

Sure, drop onto a "history" page. Make sure the first things people see are in that three month window.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

etodd

Quote from: SarDragon on November 17, 2016, 02:23:37 AM
Quote from: etodd on November 17, 2016, 02:06:16 AM

Sure, drop onto a "history" page. Make sure the first things people see are in that three month window.

Makes sense to me, but the guidelines seemed rather specific.

Eclipse

If your unit hasn't done something in three months worth mentioning, it's a problem.

If the main news page(s) have content on them that is more then 3 months old, it's a problem.

Rinse, repeat.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on November 17, 2016, 03:20:59 AM

If the main news page(s) have content on them that is more then 3 months old, it's a problem.

Agree. But the guidelines didn't say "main page".  Some of our "very strict by the guidelines type of folks" could interpret it as no PA news over 3 months on any part of the website.

Another one of those guidelines to be interpreted at the local level ... or are we allowed?  >:D

Who writes these guidelines?

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on November 17, 2016, 03:52:48 AM
Who writes these guidelines?

NHQ via the regulations or a related pamphlet.   If it's not in the reg or pamphlet then it's local interpretation or wing directive.

Page 7:

"The PAO will have authority over the PA content of all web pages visible to the public and will
keep the website accurate and current with assistance from other members as necessary.
Information posted, unless timeless in content, will not be older than three months."

"That Others May Zoom"

stillamarine

Also notice the removed that PAOs at all levels are "authorized and encouraged to contact higher headquarters" Now just Wing and Region.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on November 17, 2016, 12:36:43 PM

Information posted, unless timeless in content, will not be older than three months."[/i]

Ah. Thanks. Yes, I missed that little phrase that makes a huge difference. Marketing materials that show activities that might interest potential recruits can be timeless indeed.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 16, 2016, 11:28:38 PM
Again, I'm glad for the established compliance elements, and most importantly on how to clear any discrepancies that are found.  I also appreciate it clearly defines which are SUI elements and CI Elements.
You may want to take peak at https://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/inspector_general/inspection-knowledge-base/, it has instructions on how to clear every discrepancy.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811