What are the best veterans charities?

Started by foo, November 11, 2016, 09:34:02 PM

foo

What are your opinions on the best non-profit organizations supporting military veterans and their families?

DJ Light Chop

I know both the VFW and the American Legion do quite a bit.  Both nationally as lobbyists, as well as on the local level.  I know the AL group in my area is out there mowing grass and shovelling snow in front of the elderly vets houses in my town.

RogueLeader

In my opinion, its the USO.  Hands down.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

raivo

CharityNavigator rates charities based on things like transparency, efficiency, and (lack of) administrative overhead. Here's their top-ranked military/veteran aid charities: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=531

Consider the Air Force Aid Society, in my opinion. They provide grants to help with emergency financial situations (auto repair, airfare to family funerals, etc.) and educational expenses for USAF members and their dependents. (Full disclosure: I was an AFAF campaign lead for my squadron once upon a time.)

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

FW

Quote from: JoshN on November 11, 2016, 10:11:22 PM
I know both the VFW and the American Legion do quite a bit.  Both nationally as lobbyists, as well as on the local level.  I know the AL group in my area is out there mowing grass and shovelling snow in front of the elderly vets houses in my town.

These are the two "premier" organizations fighting for the rights of all veterans.  There are other groups, like the AUSA, AFA, etc; which are more targeted, but also very worthy of support. 

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: raivo on November 13, 2016, 08:01:23 AM
CharityNavigator rates charities based on things like transparency, efficiency, and (lack of) administrative overhead. Here's their top-ranked military/veteran aid charities: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=531

I'm disappointed. Yet again, the Former CAP Warrant Officers Poor Children's Beer Fund failed to make the list. (I give generously at all of the meetings).

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

DJ Light Chop

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on November 13, 2016, 07:01:17 PM

I'm disappointed. Yet again, the Former CAP Warrant Officers Poor Children's Beer Fund failed to make the list. (I give generously at all of the meetings).

Are you a turtle?

SarDragon

Quote from: JoshN on November 14, 2016, 05:00:57 AM

Are you a turtle?

YBYSAIA.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: JoshN on November 14, 2016, 05:00:57 AM

Are you a turtle?

YBYSAIA.

(Also a "Red Baron," in case anyone here remembers that).

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

lordmonar

The "Give Pat a Dollar" charity....I can guarantee you that 100% of your donations will go to veterans and their families.  :)  :angel:
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

sardak

Live2Learn

Quote from: FW on November 13, 2016, 01:44:37 PM
Quote from: JoshN on November 11, 2016, 10:11:22 PM

These are the two "premier" organizations fighting for the rights of all veterans.  There are other groups, like the AUSA, AFA, etc; which are more targeted, but also very worthy of support.

+1

Also, I've friends in the Marine Corps assoc who volunteer a lot of time and speak highly of the work their compatriots do. 

DJ Light Chop

My day job has quite a few Marines working there.  They berate all the other Officers who were members of the other branches as losers/cowards/fools/etc.  Then one day a guy made fun of the Coast Guard (this guy had never been in the military).  The Marines jumped on him and promptly made him feel like a fool for even opening his mouth. 

PHall

Quote from: JoshN on November 15, 2016, 03:47:18 AM
My day job has quite a few Marines working there.  They berate all the other Officers who were members of the other branches as losers/cowards/fools/etc.  Then one day a guy made fun of the Coast Guard (this guy had never been in the military).  The Marines jumped on him and promptly made him feel like a fool for even opening his mouth.

Yeah, that's the way it is. Each branch will make fun of the other branches but let somebody who has never served try it and it's doom on them.
We're all family. It may be a dysfunctional family but it's still a family!

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on November 15, 2016, 04:05:12 AM
Quote from: JoshN on November 15, 2016, 03:47:18 AM

Yeah, that's the way it is. Each branch will make fun of the other branches but let somebody who has never served try it and it's doom on them.
We're all family. It may be a dysfunctional family but it's still a family!

Amen, Brutha!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Ozzy

Foo, it depends on what type of support you are looking for. I typically support Team Red, White, Blue (RWB) as they are more of a community/social group for service members, families, and friends of service members. While they do have different programs to support vets, they tend to focus on getting vets together to exercise and do events to keep a high level of comradery.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

RMW14

I have given donations to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation ( http://specialops.org ) and the Gary Sinise Foundation ( https://www.garysinisefoundation.org ) in addition to the VFW and USO. My wife and I support our local VFW since she is a member.
Ryan Weir Capt
Emergency Services Officer Jesse Jones Composite Squadron 304
Expert Ranger #274
NASAR SARTECH 1 Lead Evaluator/ WEMT
CD PAWG Central
AOBD,GBD,GTL, GTM1, UDF, MO, MS, MRO, AP