General Knowledge Questions for Activity?

Started by kcebnaes, November 04, 2016, 05:04:46 PM

kcebnaes

Hi everyone!

We've come up with a fun activity to use to help people retain some general CAP knowledge. However, we need more questions! So, what do YOU think should be general knowledge for all members? So far we have things like: Who all is in our chain of command, how to salute, ranks/grades and their differences, etc.

Many thanks!
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Thingsā„¢

THRAWN

Identify the badge (GT, CP, command, etc), identify the ribbon (self explanatory), CAP history dates (1DEC41 and its meaning), famous/infamous CAP members (Farr, Oswald, Jaeger to name a few...), names and types of publications, locations of USAF bases with CAP related units/activities (Maxwell, Tyndall)....that's it off the top of my head for now...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

TheSkyHornet

In addition to the above, I like quizzing, rewarding, and making it challenging but fun.

Two teams: Pick someone to go up to the board. In 30 seconds, right list the chain of command including grade, name, and title from your unit to the top. Whoever lists the most correctly gets a prize of some kind. Make a small tournament out of it.

We may have a competition to go up to the board and in 15 seconds draw what an insignia looks like. "Alright, you have 15 seconds to draw a Major using the correct colors. Go."

We do push-up competitions sometimes. We had 5 cadets and 3 seniors volunteer, and we picked non-related cadets and seniors to count for them. The winner got a die-cast B-1B model. The losers got candy for participating.

For a Safety topic, our Safety Officer and First Sergeant came up with an idea to run teams where we had to pick out different safety signs we would see around our base (airport) and draw them. Then, explain what they mean and how it applies. Team with the most wins. You can modify that from a Safety lesson to a CAP Knowledge lesson.

There are all sorts of things you can do to spice up a boring meeting. Whatever you do, don't lecture people to death.

rmutchler

One thing I did to promote AE/Safety was do to an accident case study or take one of my flights and turn it into an interactive "What would you do"

Another one I did that was a bit evil was an attention to detail exercise, complete with the https://hbim.wordpress.com/2010/08/23/can-you-follow-directions-3-minute-test/ or http://www.habitsforwellbeing.com/3-minute-test-how-well-do-you-receive-written-communication/ >:D >:D  I even did a 3 question quiz with some riddles and put a picture of a Lt Col on the screen and asked "How many ribbons does the Major have"  Made for a fun activity.

Spam

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 04, 2016, 08:31:23 PM

We do push-up competitions sometimes. We had 5 cadets and 3 seniors volunteer, and we picked non-related cadets and seniors to count for them. The winner got a die-cast B-1B model. The losers got candy for participating.

That is most excellent - the less fit get candy!

That's a fit companion to the model CAP diet, where you bring jelly doughnuts to the other members to make yourself look thinner by comparison! (Actually, I saw a cadet bring boxes of powdered donut holes to a Cadet Comp as presents for the other teams, which is pretty devious sabotage in my book... white sugar all over their blues before the inspection event, and bloated bellies on the mile run event).

Cheers,
Spam

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Spam on November 05, 2016, 03:19:46 AM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 04, 2016, 08:31:23 PM

That is most excellent - the less fit get candy!

That's a fit companion to the model CAP diet, where you bring jelly doughnuts to the other members to make yourself look thinner by comparison! (Actually, I saw a cadet bring boxes of powdered donut holes to a Cadet Comp as presents for the other teams, which is pretty devious sabotage in my book... white sugar all over their blues before the inspection event, and bloated bellies on the mile run event).

Cheers,
Spam

That was the joke in it. I actually completely forgot I had candy from a trip I just flew in on earlier that day, and I arrived with my airport purchases to the meeting. Someone muttered something about wishing they got something out of participating, so the candy became the "prize" for our "little go-getters," which included the Commander and Chaplain, both pretty hefty guys. So it was actually pretty funny in the end.

It's stuff like that though that not only keeps things interesting, but also brings that social aspect in, especially after a dull day. One thing I try to emphasize to my cadets, as well as seniors, is that you never know what you're going to miss by skipping a meeting, so show up and see what surprise we might have this time (we don't do it every week, maybe once a month if that).

CAPDCCMOM

My Cadets love CAP Jeopardy.  I have several categories including 39-1, AE, Safety,  Learn to Lead, and their favorite Senior Fun facts. We use Monopoly money. The winner of Final  Jeopardy  gets a prize and bragging rights. I have used it as a fun way to help Cadets study for the Curry Exam. They also get to learn about the Senior Members and see we are  human as well. 

ColonelJack

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on November 08, 2016, 02:50:48 AM
My Cadets love CAP Jeopardy.  I have several categories including 39-1, AE, Safety,  Learn to Lead, and their favorite Senior Fun facts. We use Monopoly money. The winner of Final  Jeopardy  gets a prize and bragging rights. I have used it as a fun way to help Cadets study for the Curry Exam. They also get to learn about the Senior Members and see we are  human as well.

Do you use the "Classroom Jeopardy" game?  It has buzzers, automatic scoring, daily doubles, everything!  I used it in my history and science classes to review for tests; kids loved it!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Cliff_Chambliss

during our safety briefings  I would sometimes ask random questions relating to the topic.  People who answered correctly would get a small roll of "Life Saver" candy.  Those who answered wrong would get a "Captain Krunch" bar.  Small rolls and bars are easy to find around Halloween but a bit more difficult in June Junly
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.