Small Unit Help

Started by kcebnaes, October 16, 2016, 07:33:09 PM

kcebnaes

We have a very small unit with only one Cadet(a c/Airman Basic.) What are some fun activities that can be done so the cadet learns, but also doesn't lose interest? As of late, our meetings have been too much like a lecture, and not enough hands on. Ideally, I'd like these activities to possibly be used with the Senior Members as well, but that's not as necessary.

So, what are your suggestions?
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

Holding Pattern

I would almost completely dump lecture learning until you have more than one cadet. Go heavy on AE. Build rockets with a cadet, small glider planes, etc.

I'd also consider operating the SMs more as cadets, having them in formations, color guards, etc. with a place for the cadet so that he doesn't end up as a cadet NCO with limited knowledge of how to march, customs and courtesies, etc. when he interacts with other squadrons.

RazorbackPride

Why isn't it a better idea to combine with another charter?

Holding Pattern

Quote from: RazorbackPride on October 16, 2016, 08:55:24 PM
Why isn't it a better idea to combine with another charter?

In the case of one squadron I know of in my area, geography is an issue.

Eclipse

Concentrate on what he needs to progress - don't waste precious CAP contact hours on trying to "retention" him to death.

Seniors can only do so much, he needs peers, get more cadets.

"That Others May Zoom"

almostspaatz

This unit is a bit of a drive from nearby units, and it is brand new so they are just getting started.

Take baby steps:
1) get your cadet up to Curry (teach incrementally, just basic stuff for now)
2) Develop a recruiting plan to get more cadets
C/Maj Steve Garrett

coudano

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on October 16, 2016, 07:44:09 PM
I would almost completely dump lecture learning until you have more than one cadet.

Just completely dump lecture learning period.

Seriously.

Cadets sit in school all day long.  Guess what they don't want to do on Tuesday night after sitting in school all day Tuesday and the evening before they are about to go sit in school all day Wednesday...   I'll give you a hint, it rhymes with conjecture.

A phase 1 cadet needs to be focused on assimilating the cadet oath.
-Regular Attendance (making attendance not painful is a good first step in getting them to come regularly)
-Participate Actively (got to have some unit activities in order to do this, eh?)(check with neighbor units and group/wing calendar)
-Obey my officers   (particularly receiving and executing directions both in task accomplishment as well as a member of a drill element)
-Wear my uniform properly  (do a hands on 'class' how to prep the uniform, literally bring in an ironing board...  or a sewing kit, or a shoe shine kit... and walk through it... make sure the cadet gets inspected)
-Advance ed&trng rapidly   (focus on the requirements for advancement, leadership chapter 1, aerospace (AEX) and character development

The first step to building the squadron's cadet program is to PUT ON A VALID PROGRAM.
First you build it...  THEN they will come.

No use in going out and trying to recruit 6 cadets if you don't have anything in place for them when they join.
Also hard to sell a non-existent program to prospective members.

Eclipse

^ +1

I was speaking to a new CC at the wing conference over the weekend and I told her...

"You know what the #1 most critical thing you have to do to retain members"?

"Things"

As in DO THINGS.

And those "things" should be tied to attaining a goal, something they can't do at home,
or at least more compelling then their Tivo queue.

"Drill" is not one of those "things" - they need, it's important, it should not be the focus
of most meetings, especially for newbs, and never used as a substitute for failure to plan.

I can't tell you how any "X-members" cite "failure to do anything" or "all we ever did was drill".

"That Others May Zoom"

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Eclipse on October 17, 2016, 04:25:38 AM
^ +1

I was speaking to a new CC at the wing conference over the weekend and I told her...

"You know what the #1 most critical thing you have to do to retain members"?

"Things"

As in DO THINGS.

And those "things" should be tied to attaining a goal, something they can't do at home,
or at least more compelling then their Tivo queue.

"Drill" is not one of those "things" - they need, it's important, it should not be the focus
of most meetings, especially for newbs, and never used as a substitute for failure to plan.

I can't tell you how any "X-members" cite "failure to do anything" or "all we ever did was drill".

+1 for coudano and +1 for Eclipse.  Every cadet I've ever had leave ahead of (say) age 18 has always, at some point, brought up the lack of activity.  Can't stress that enough.  The bane of my life as CDC was activity leaders, cadets or Seniors, who were ill-prepared or didn't show at zero notice.  Drop the lecture mode and get the cadet hands-on.

THRAWN

Quote from: kcebnaes on October 16, 2016, 07:33:09 PM
We have a very small unit with only one Cadet(a c/Airman Basic.) What are some fun activities that can be done so the cadet learns, but also doesn't lose interest? As of late, our meetings have been too much like a lecture, and not enough hands on. Ideally, I'd like these activities to possibly be used with the Senior Members as well, but that's not as necessary.

So, what are your suggestions?

Am I misreading this or does this unit only have one (1) cadet in total? If so, why are they still operating with less than the minimum required membership?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

kcebnaes

All: Thank you all for the advice. We are currently working on them as I type this.

Thrawn: We aren't operating with less than minimum required membership. We are a Flight with 9 on our Charter. It's not a lot, but it's what we have, and it meets the minimum requirement for a Flight.
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Various Other Things™

THRAWN

Quote from: kcebnaes on October 17, 2016, 01:32:17 PM
All: Thank you all for the advice. We are currently working on them as I type this.

Thrawn: We aren't operating with less than minimum required membership. We are a Flight with 9 on our Charter. It's not a lot, but it's what we have, and it meets the minimum requirement for a Flight.

8 SM and 1 cadet? Sounds like you have your work cut out for you!
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

kcebnaes

Yes sir! On the bright side, all 8 seniors are willing to make this all work! We are starting a small recruitment effort this week too!
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Various Other Things™

THRAWN

Quote from: kcebnaes on October 17, 2016, 02:02:19 PM
Yes sir! On the bright side, all 8 seniors are willing to make this all work! We are starting a small recruitment effort this week too!

Good deal. Sounds like you have a good group of SMs and that's a great start. Targeted recruiting is really the way to go. Do you have another unit in the area? See if they can provide some senior cadets to get the new guys up to speed. Have a JROTC unit in the schools? See if you can target some of them.

To respond to your question, it looks like there is lots of good advice already out there. Get some hands on stuff going. AE-wise, rockets and UAS. If the cadet is old enough, prep them for the UAS test and get them a license. ES-wise, do some field work: orienteering, DF, knots, shelters, etc. CP-wise, this is going to be the cadet that is light years ahead of his peers. Helping to form a unit before you have your Curry? Lots of pride of ownership...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

I would strongly recommend you try to borrow a couple of Phase 3 or IV cadets from another unit ADY
to get things moving, and as mentioned, recruit, recruit, recruit.

8 involved and invested seniors is more then many units ever have, but that cadet needs peers and mentors fast. 
Seniors can help, but that's not how the program is supposed to work. Having your cadet participate with other units
would help as well.

Even some NCOs would be a big help.

"That Others May Zoom"

kcebnaes

Thrawn: Unfortunately for us, the nearest unit is about an hour away. So consistent help isn't really an option. There may be JROTC unit near, I'll have to double check.

Eclipse: I'll try to do that, my main problem is that we're the only CAP unit within about an hour. Finding a willing cadet to ADY will be a challenge. However, I do think it would be a very plausible scenario!
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Various Other Things™

Toad1168

Set up a Facebook page for your unit.  There are guidelines on CAPMembers on what you need to put into it.  You can then pay a nominal fee to "promote" your page in your area.  It's pretty cheap marketing to get the ball rolling.
Toad

Eclipse

+1 This and some well-targeted adsense buys.

I know several units that have had success with things like this.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

You've solved half your problem already, with 8 senior members willing to work CP...

Getting a half dozen to a dozen cadets to join CAP is relatively easy...

Getting more than 2 or 3 senior members who will work CP is...   hard.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: kcebnaes on October 17, 2016, 02:02:19 PM
Like it!  You might also try any local colleges...we have a small college, now university, in the town near to us and we got a **very** qualified cadet officer who was looking for some way of staying 'CAP Current' whilst away from home.  Couldn't make every week but she added a lot of value - got several cadets through GTM-1, mentored our (very) new cadet officer...good job all round.  Just a thought.