Main Menu

New DP- Databasing CAPF45?

Started by SC-CAP-Mom, October 07, 2016, 04:27:51 PM

SC-CAP-Mom

Has anyone successfully done this? While I am becoming fairly well versed in eservices, I find it very frustrating to run bunches of reports just to find the info that I need for promotions/awards weeks.

Suggestions would be appreciated.
SM & mom of Cadet
Positions--DP and HSO

Eclipse

SIMS is probably the nearest thing to that.

http://www.njwg.cap.gov/sims

You are not the only one frustrated with eServices' lack of a proper public API or even user-friendly UX.

"That Others May Zoom"

SC-CAP-Mom

SM & mom of Cadet
Positions--DP and HSO

SC-CAP-Mom

Unfortunately for me SIMS isn't going to work. I use a mac and access has never been developed for a mac.
SM & mom of Cadet
Positions--DP and HSO

CAP_truth

I download CAPWatch convert the files to excel and extract the information I need.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

coudano

We maintain trackers in the form of google drive spreadsheets
it's still manual, which is less than desirable,
but it allows multiple simultaneous access and is viewable to everyone in the squadron all the time

overall, it works.

SC-CAP-Mom

Are there any current users of Filemaker out there? I have seen some old posts.
SM & mom of Cadet
Positions--DP and HSO

Eclipse

A couple of options - your unit should have one or several issued notebooks with Access on it(them).

You could also run Windows in a VM.

The path you are thinking about walking down has swallowed many a brave knight...

"That Others May Zoom"

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I had one running in Access (so no help to the OP) before SIMS got into that area. Translating CAP regs into functional code is not a hobbyists endeavor. (I do this stuff for a living).

I don't remember if SIMS has caught up to the dual tacks on promotion eligibility. 

jhighman

Quote from: Phil Hirons, Jr. on October 09, 2016, 04:35:18 PM

I don't remember if SIMS has caught up to the dual tacks on promotion eligibility.

I am certainly no programmer, but I created a Excel file using manually extrapolated CAPWATCH membership information and devised a formula to calculate date of eligibility for promotion based on the date of the last rank.  It isn't perfect because it cannot  tell if someone's last promotion before aug 2018 was done under the grandfathered clause for one-time waiver, but so far that hasn't proven an issue)

Phil Hirons, Jr.

That's what I meant by the dual track.

The I think the really useful info from a good system is who is missing what for the next promotion / level. That can be tough from the way the CAPWATCH data is delivered