minimums & maximums

Started by umpirecali, September 13, 2016, 05:53:45 PM

umpirecali

This question came about after looking at the CAPF54 and saw the question, "Does this activity depend on good weather? If so, please identify your minimum weather conditions"

I was thinking about this in light of ORM and really just about every activity is governed by a set a min/max.  Even indoor activities might be cancelled due snow, high winds, etc.   Are there supporting documents or best practices that governs how hot is too hot, how cold is too cold, wind, snow and other factors.  I suspect this more subjective than I'd hope and even regional.  Perhaps the Wisconsin wing holds training in a lot more snow than we do in VA because they are equipped, dressed for, and used to those conditions.  Perhaps the Florida or Arizona wing operates in hotter temperatures than us.  With that said, I am wondering if there is a baseline to start from.   The particular activity I am planning isn't really that pertinent because I am thinking about all our activities in this discussion, although this particular activity will depends on rain a bit more, because it will involve steeper terrain and the possibility of slips, trips and falls.   ???  Quantifying rain, seems even more daunting than defining hot/cold and humidity.
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

etodd

Location, location, location ....

Its was sunny here an hour ago. Heavy rain passed over and lasted maybe 5 minutes. Now 15 minutes later its all drying up and you could continue any outdoor activity you momentarily paused.

It all just depends ....
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

lordmonar

One of the whole points about ORM as it is supposed to be done, is that there are no supporting documents.

Each case is unique.   What one location can handle for weather is different then another location.   One activity/mission/objective is more or less critical than another.   One set of individuals is more or less equipped/trained/supervised then another.

The F54 asks the question to remind you about what you are doing and for you to consider it.  We should not be locking ourselves into some "supporting documents" on if we should or should not be doing something.   

We should always be thinking about it and planning about it.....but we should not be letting someone at Wing/Region/National HQ making those decisions for us.

YMMV.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP