Recommendations for first time encampment cadre?

Started by diegoochoaaa, September 12, 2016, 11:02:20 PM

diegoochoaaa

Hello, I'm currently looking into applying for a winter encampment staff position but I have no clue for what I should do.
I've asked fellow cadets and they've all said either safety or admin. 
Please leave below and position for when you first staffed because I'd like to see what everyone did!

Thanks and have a good evening!  ;D

Toad1168

Flight sergeant @ MOWG encampment.  Trainee the year before.  The encampment really puts into practical play all that you are learning in the leadership labs.
Toad

Eclipse

Quote from: iiCookiezi on September 12, 2016, 11:02:20 PM
Hello, I'm currently looking into applying for a winter encampment staff position but I have no clue for what I should do.

What others have done isn't going to mean much to you as their experience and tenure in the program is likely to be different.

First question is, what is your grade, and how many encampments have you participated in before considering a staff application?

"That Others May Zoom"

PReeves

Hello,

I recommend that you take a look at what you feel you are capable of. If you feel like you would do a good job working directly with cadets, then maybe apply for a flight staff position. If you feel that you would like to stay 'behind the scenes', or not work directly with the students (except for maybe giving a class or two...) then maybe you should apply for a PAO or other support staff position. Overall, it depends on who you are and what you feel that you are capable of handling. Hearing what other people staffed as should not really have to affect what you do because if you apply and later on get over stressed or are unknowing of what the position entails, it won't help. I say just go with what you feel that you can do, and it should be fine.

Thanks,
Lt. Blues

Airplane girl

Quote from: Lt. Blues on September 13, 2016, 03:30:53 PM
I say just go with what you feel that you can do, and it should be fine.
I don't really agree with this. My first staff position was Standards and Evaluations NCO. During staff selection, I said that I didn't want to be on SET, because I didn't think that I could. But it ended up being one of the best experiences that I've had in CAP. I learned so much that week.

My advice is to apply for whatever seems the most fun or interesting to you, and then see what you are selected for. A lot of times people don't even get the staff position that they apply for. That year, there were some people who put SET as their first choice who ended up as flight sergeants, and I put flight sergeant as my first choice and ended up on SET.

AirAux

My son said the best position he ever had was as a mess hall officer.  He really, really liked that job...  Which means it was mucho easy and the munchies were available.

diegoochoaaa

Quote from: Eclipse on September 13, 2016, 01:43:18 AM
Quote from: iiCookiezi on September 12, 2016, 11:02:20 PM

What others have done isn't going to mean much to you as their experience and tenure in the program is likely to be different.

First question is, what is your grade, and how many encampments have you participated in before considering a staff application?

Well I will be a staff sergeant by the time encampment comes around, and i've only completed basic. 

Eclipse

Quote from: iiCookiezi on September 14, 2016, 11:33:05 PM
Well I will be a staff sergeant by the time encampment comes around

I would suggest Flight Sergeant would be where you should apply.

The line staff roles are limited at encampments, and being the proper grade for them is as much a matter of timing as
ability.  You can always go back as support staff like Admin, logistics, PAO, or whatever that particular wing offers,
including as an adult, but you may only get one pass at Flight Sergeant, Flight Commander, etc.

That's where the real work is done and where cadets should be aiming.

"That Others May Zoom"