Max gross weight ops

Started by Live2Learn, September 09, 2016, 05:42:40 PM

Live2Learn

http://www.avweb.com/news/features/Max-Gross-Weight-Ops-226918-1.html  This article by Mike Hart was originally published a couple of years ago in Aviation Safety Magazine.  It's a very good discussion of GTOW issues as they affect operations in high DA, short strip conditions.  We might also consider his very good advice for low altitude ops (like in a search where there's a LOT more altitude ABOVE and BELOW!).

When I read this I was reminded of the previous aircraft assigned to my Squadron.  The 1985 Cessna 182 was in great mechanical condition, but the paint was non-standard and in poor condition.  Wing and National agreed to have it painted.  When it returned from the paint shop it was beautiful!  "Of course it was stripped so the paint should weigh the same..."  Reweighing was not authorized.  Oops.  After the paint job the aircraft sometimes flew 100 lbs over gross - but it was fine on paper with the latest (pre-paint job W&B).  several years after the paint job it did get reweighed when it went to a new maintenance depot.  No, it wasn't stripped.  After the paint job some of the more experienced pilots noticed the plane seemed 'doggy', but it was old...  It didn't have wheel pants... etc. etc. etc.  And besides, at the time Wing and National wouldn't authorize reweighing.  The point of this monologue is that W&B matters.  A fresh W&B is more than just a 'good idea' after a paint job or a major mod.  It should be required.