Promotion to 1st LT due to being a Medic

Started by chaser430, August 23, 2016, 04:31:43 PM

JeffDG

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on August 24, 2016, 01:19:40 AM
No one has said that NHQ is the "final promoting authority."

However people are quoting from 35-5 that NHQ has to "validate the promotion."

There is a difference.

Who prints ID cards? NHQ, not the Promoting Authority.

Who shows grades online? NHQ.
Regardless.

If the Wing Commander signs a 2A as the final promoting authority promoting someone to the Grade of Major, and NHQ doesn't bother posting that promotion, is the member entitled to wear the grade and sign correspondence with said grade?  My answer is an unequivocal "Yes"

JeffDG

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 23, 2016, 11:46:30 PM
CAPR 35-5' Chapter 1 paragraph 8b.

Has the license been renewed? Why did it take your Chain of Command a year before following up with National?  Shoul have been chased after 30-60 days. Once you resubmit the Wing Commander can ask for an adjusted DOR based on National losing the paperwork.
Multiple followups every 15-30 days for over a year.

National has said they will not back-date the date of rank to when the original paperwork was submitted.

Luis R. Ramos

You keep saying a "2a was submitted." You know that the 2a is the wrong form for promotions, right? The correct form is a CAPF 2. If you sent a CAPF 2a, that may have been the cause of the problem.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JeffDG on August 24, 2016, 02:43:02 AM

Has the license been renewed? Why did it take your Chain of Command a year before following up with National?  Shoul have been chased after 30-60 days. Once you resubmit the Wing Commander can ask for an adjusted DOR based on National losing the paperwork.
Multiple followups every 15-30 days for over a year.

National has said they will not back-date the date of rank to when the original paperwork was submitted.

I've been waiting to use this one...

jeders

Quote from: JeffDG on August 23, 2016, 10:32:14 PM
Quote from: jeders on August 23, 2016, 09:08:36 PM
Disagree as you might, the regs say otherwise. Promotions must be validated by NHQ in order to be effective.
Can you cite authority for that?

Yes I can.

Almost, as this is not a duty promotion.

Quote from: CAPR 35-5 1-8c(2)National Headquarters will validate the CAPF 2 and the promotion will appear in the member's electronic personnel record. E-mail confirmation of the promotion action will be sent to the all commanders in the approval chain. The promotion will be effective on the date the promotion request is validated by National Headquarters.
Emphasis mine

This is from the procedure for any promotion that is submitted by hard copy Form 2; whether it is a mission-skills, special/professional appointment, or duty performance submitted outside of eServices. Until National hits the button to validate the promotion, it id not effect and the member is not of that rank. This is also essentially how the eServices promotion work except that the promotions are validated by the system at each step and are automatically entered into the members record when the final approval is received.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JC004

What is this button to validate?  Last promotions I saw (duty performance), they were there right away after the commander approved them.  This USED to be NHQ stamping the corporate seal on the CAPF 2, and of course they sent out membership cards.  I don't think any of them get the corporate seal stamp anymore, except perhaps the special promotions that go up as paper.

jeders

Quote from: JC004 on August 24, 2016, 09:01:25 PM
What is this button to validate?  Last promotions I saw (duty performance), they were there right away after the commander approved them.  This USED to be NHQ stamping the corporate seal on the CAPF 2, and of course they sent out membership cards.  I don't think any of them get the corporate seal stamp anymore, except perhaps the special promotions that go up as paper.

Which is what we're talking about. On a special promotion, until national validates the paperwork and clicks whatever magic button it is that they click to make the promotion appear in the database.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

chaser430

After speaking to my Commander we both decided that it would take anywhere from 6 months to a year for Wing and National to approve my 1st LT so, we decided I would just take the 2LT time in grade promotion and become the Primary Medical Officer for our Squadron. So I am perfectly happy with that :) I didn't know how long it would take to do the 1st LT- so I am good. I am a 2LT Medical Officer and thats just fine with me.

chaser430

Your right Jeders:
The Commander can approve it not problem in Eservices, BUT it has to go thru final approval through Wing and then National with the Form 200a paperwork and as alot of your have eluded to it takes forever.
So it kind of seems pointless to offer a possible promotion if it takes as long as the standard promotion.

Eclipse

Quote from: chaser430 on September 06, 2016, 12:05:42 AM
After speaking to my Commander we both decided that it would take anywhere from 6 months to a year for Wing and National to approve my 1st LT so, we decided I would just take the 2LT time in grade promotion and become the Primary Medical Officer for our Squadron. So I am perfectly happy with that :) I didn't know how long it would take to do the 1st LT- so I am good. I am a 2LT Medical Officer and thats just fine with me.

As a paramedic / EMT you would qualify to be an "HSO" (Health Services Officer).

"1-8. Qualifications of Health Service Personnel. Any health professional or technician may
qualify for a health service appointment in CAP, provided that proof of current unrestricted
licensure, registration, or certification, where such is required by law or regulation, is furnished.
Only physicians will have the title of "medical officer." Only nurse categories will have the title
"nurse officer." All others will be known as "health service officers." The health disciplines of
members that may serve as a unit's Health Service program officer can be found on the
CAP Health Service website at: http://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/health-service/.
If a unit has more than one health professional assigned, the most senior in terms of level of
education and training should be the designated health service program officer and any others as
his/her assistants. CAP members who are retired health professionals, but still wish to serve as
health service officers, may do so, provided they retain current state licensure. Many states have
categories of licenses at a lower cost, which allow trained individuals to perform professional
duties as a volunteer (uncompensated)."

See here for the list of disciplines eligible to serve as HSOs:
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAPHealthServiceDisciplines_8BA051F_B688722FF1EF0.pdf

"That Others May Zoom"

chaser430

Hi Eclipse, yes my Commander did make me the Medical officer so I am very excited at the opportunity.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: chaser430 on September 06, 2016, 12:42:03 AM
Hi Eclipse, yes my Commander did make me the Medical officer so I am very excited at the opportunity.

Unless you're a physician, you're not a medical officer.

chaser430

arajca

chaser430

My apologies to all involved for misnaming the position.  Either Medical Officer OR Health services officer it's still the same insignia on the bdu. Only the nurse designation has an N on top of it.

Eclipse

Quote from: chaser430 on September 06, 2016, 12:52:16 AMEither Medical Officer OR Health services officer it's still the same insignia on the bdu.

"Health Services Officer" is a staff position, it does not have an insignia.

"That Others May Zoom"

chaser430

Eclipse:
Yes there is:

Is there a patch or emblem for a medical officer or nurse and if so how is it worn?

Yes, medical officer and nurse insignia may be worn by certain medical professionals. See CAPR 160-1 Attachment 1 for listing of specific disciplines. Only physician categories will have the title of "medical officer"  and wear the medical officer insignia. Only nurse categories will have the title "nurse officer" and wear the nurse insignia. All others will be known as "health service officers."

Vanguard Item 0749D MEDICAL OFFICER-CLOTH
Medical Officer Insignia. Embroidered in white on ultramarine blue background. For wear on BDUs and CAP Field uniform.

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1663/~/specialty-insignia-for-health-service-officers

Eclipse

What is your specific medical certification and degree?

You have indicated here you are a "medic", in normal parlance, that is an EMT or Paramedic.
Neither of those can wear the Medical or Nurse Officer's badge.

You must be a Physician to be appointed a Medical Officer, and a Nurse to be appointed a Nurse Officer
(and wear one or the other badges, respectively).

As an EMT / Paramedic, you may qualify for the staff appointment of "Health Services Officer", which
have neither an operational badge, nor a specialty track badge.

As an EMT Paramedic, you may qualify to were the EMT badge, however that is separate from
any staff appointment as an HSO.

Quote from: chaser430 on September 06, 2016, 12:05:42 AM
See here for the list of disciplines eligible to serve as HSOs:
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAPHealthServiceDisciplines_8BA051F_B688722FF1EF0.pdf

"That Others May Zoom"

chaser430

I was a corpsman in the Navy.  I have my BLS and I have a bachelor's degree in the medical field and I am one of the qualified professions under the capr-160 -1 regulations.

Eclipse

Quote from: chaser430 on September 06, 2016, 01:22:09 AM
I was a corpsman in the Navy.  I have my BLS and I have a bachelor's degree in the medical field and I am one of the qualified professions under the capr-160 -1 regulations.

So in regards to wearing the EMT badge, per 39-1:
"10.4.7. Emergency Medical Technician Badges. Worn by current or previously certified Emergency
Medical Technicians. The basic badge is for EMT-Basic, the badge with the star is for EMT-Intermediate
and the badge with the star and the wreath is for EMT-Paramedic. "

Presumably with your BLS you are or were certified as an EMR or EMT in Pennsylvania.  If you're an
EMT, it could be argued you'd qualify for the star on the CAP EMT badge.  If you were never actually certified
as one of the above (or something equivalent in another state), or your only experience is military, you
would not qualify for the EMT badge.

If your Navy badge is approved for wear on the USAF uniform, it may be allowed on the CAP USAF-style combinations.
Check 39-1 or consult national headquarters for that.

While you may have a bachelor's degree, your discipline is considered by CAP as "technician".  You qualify under 160-1 to
be appointed as an HSO, however as you are neither a physician, nor a nurse, you do not qualify for either of those badges.

There is no badge or patch for "HSO".

"That Others May Zoom"