Why is this plane gray?

Started by Eclipse, August 11, 2016, 10:08:40 PM

Eclipse

http://www.paysonroundup.com/news/2016/aug/10/civil-air-patrol-seeks-help-lifesaving-volunteers/

It's a 2011 182T that appears to have been delivered direct from Cessna, so one would assume it shipped in
standard livery from the factory.

If it's getting repainted, why is the N-Number on the plane as it sits in primer?
Is it an old photo the website used?

Maybe someone in AZWG knows?

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

DakRadz

Quote from: Payson Round Up
The volunteers will help crew the group's new airplane, a turbocharged veteran of the Afghanistan War, where the plane was used to train pilots.

In all seriousness, this may be part of the reason. Article states it was used to train pilots, and also that it is being modified for a window to assist AP/MS use. I imagine some of that magnitude of work would scuff the paint job, but that isn't within my realm of expertise at all.

arajca

This is likely one of the aircraft saved from being scrapped in Afghanistan. CAP is getting several. There was money to bring them to the US and remove the Afgan markings, but not to completely repaint them. From what I've heard, as money becomes available, they'll be repainted in the standard CAP livery.

NIN

Quote from: arajca on August 11, 2016, 10:48:57 PM
This is likely one of the aircraft saved from being scrapped in Afghanistan. CAP is getting several. There was money to bring them to the US and remove the Afgan markings, but not to completely repaint them. From what I've heard, as money becomes available, they'll be repainted in the standard CAP livery.

^^ This.

we got 6 planes, I believe, for nothing. So it probably was "Take 'em now, once we re-cert them for the US, or it'll cost $X,XXX of unprogrammed money to paint 6 planes. Your choice."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

sardak

We just received one just like that except for the N-number, the gray color is for the reasons noted. It has the Technisonic radio and RhoTheta DF installed but doesn't yet have the CAP specific placards on the panel, such as "not for hire" and "don't kiss the pilot during snap rolls."

Mike

sardak

nomiddlemas

I personally think they look a lot cooler just grayed out.  Just me. 

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: nomiddlemas on August 12, 2016, 02:36:03 AM
I personally think they look a lot cooler just grayed out.  Just me.
Gray airplanes.... gray..er... missions.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

dbaran

We're trying to match the airplanes and the uniforms.  You have to wear the white shirt with the gray epaulets to be able to fly in one of these.

Luis R. Ramos

And the ABU!

Don't forget the ABU and grey plane combines better than the BDU and grey...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Operators don't wear uniforms - beards, plate carrier, and shemagh (with tab underneath) only!

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Who is saying the grey planes will be for secret ops only?

Orientation Flights, grey planes; SAR, grey planes... all these missions with grey planes, and crews in W/G or ABUs...

FASHION STATEMENT!

>:D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Spam

Again, as I'd mentioned in another thread, as a Georgia Boy, gray uniforms and gray airplanes look just about right to me.

CSAF, arise!

*Waiting for someone to bring up Project Yehudi and Compass Ghost.  Come on, AEOs, why are combat aircraft gray, research this, its a great topic!!!

V/R
Spam

Flying Pig

One of the avionics shops where I am is refurbing them as they come back.  Being full of sand is one of the issues.  yes, these are coming back from Afghanistan.

TarRiverRat

Quote from: Spam on August 14, 2016, 09:53:43 PM
Again, as I'd mentioned in another thread, as a Georgia Boy, gray uniforms and gray airplanes look just about right to me.

CSAF, arise!

I am from NC and have been a War Against Northern Aggression reenactor for 31 years.  So I love the gray paint scheme.  Can I wear the C.S. Civil Air Patrol tapes on my new gray BDUs now?
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

nomiddlemas

I would agree.  Gray plane with cameras all over it looks pretty cool.