Syracuse Reaper Drone Chasing Mission

Started by etodd, July 29, 2016, 02:21:10 PM

etodd

I'll be there in a few weeks chasing the Reapers. Anyone who has flown this want to share any advice and info?

Seems to be fairly straight forward and simple. Hand fly the plane following the drone, once its in or near the Restricted area and breaks off, then simply return to the airport. Helping the drone pilot watch for traffic, clouds, etc. Eyeballs on the drone at all times.

Is the AF not allowing any photography? I haven't seen any of the crews sharing anything at all.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Luis R. Ramos

If they are not sharing anything, did you think about Op Sec?

That is, not sharing anything about the operation on a public forum for security reasons?

It may be just a posibility...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on July 29, 2016, 02:25:23 PM
If they are not sharing anything, did you think about Op Sec?

That is, not sharing anything about the operation on a public forum for security reasons?

It may be just a posibility...

And for that matter not discussing publicly when and where operations will be occurring or who will be there "in a few weeks"?

This kind of stuff isn't a game, nor a hamburger run.

"That Others May Zoom"

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

DakRadz

Yeah, I'm not a pilot, but the fact that I think Eclipse was nice to you, and that this is way more information than I've ever seen when looking actively (I like aviation and drones), you shouldn't share anything about this program. Next time try contacting the activity POC or something. You know, privately.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

dwb

Pictures of chase missions have been shared on social media.

etodd - you've got the gist of it. You are the human eyes for the Reaper.

Others - calm down about OPSEC. The existence of the mission is not sensitive. He's not asking for specific date/times, routes, names of personnel, etc.

Pace

It's an active mission and OPSEC would seem to apply. If something is shared somewhere else that is between that person and the IC/PIO. Let's take this one to PM please. And have fun! Sounds like a cool sortie!
Lt Col, CAP