Spring loaded... and successful! Emergency landing

Started by Live2Learn, July 20, 2016, 10:13:38 PM

Live2Learn

Some studies say that it takes 12.5 seconds to recognize something is wrong, accept it as an emergency, respond with control inputs, and get aircraft response.   This pilot took about 2 seconds...  MAX!

The video below is as good as it gets.   :clap: :clap:

The pilot was ready, spring loaded, and had a well articulated plan:  He did a GREAT pre-takeoff emergency brief, then responded to the emergency with near IMMEDIATE recognition and correct response.  His actions were textbook perfect as he used constant verbalization of critical airspeed, demonstrated strong situational awareness, and took decisive action appropriate to the emergency... 

The outcome: No injuries...
Icing on the cake:  The aircraft is re-useable and on the runway ready for the next launch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKpZ5QW8NIHEubmKCOQk60uHxkyI5nydNgZhFJBmXJZxwDtJNdj097DaMXLaHXWjE3zbCRE3&time_continue=167&v=d0SC87Z38QE

Enjoy!

Eclipse

Scary!

If you remove the "s" in "https" Youtube videos will embed.

! No longer available

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Live2Learn on July 20, 2016, 10:13:38 PM
Some studies say that it takes 12.5 seconds to recognize something is wrong, accept it as an emergency, respond with control inputs, and get aircraft response.   This pilot took about 2 seconds...  MAX!

The video below is as good as it gets.   :clap: :clap:

The pilot was ready, spring loaded, and had a well articulated plan:  He did a GREAT pre-takeoff emergency brief, then responded to the emergency with near IMMEDIATE recognition and correct response.  His actions were textbook perfect as he used constant verbalization of critical airspeed, demonstrated strong situational awareness, and took decisive action appropriate to the emergency... 

The outcome: No injuries...
Icing on the cake:  The aircraft is re-useable and on the runway ready for the next launch.
<snip>

EXCELLENT find. That had my heart racing and I wasn't even there, yet watching him verbalize his "checklist" (mental as it may be) forced me to relax and realize he had it pretty much right in the bag the whole time as soon as he bunted the nose.

About 9 months ago, I finally had a "recognize and react" emergency in a similar vein. 

In my other aviation job, I don't have 12.5 seconds to react to a problem, either. I have anywhere between 3 to 5 seconds to recognize a malfunction and apply the appropriate emergency procedures. Which is why we drill, drill and drill again every day, multiple times a day.

While certainly not exactly like a launch failure at 250 ft, if I pick the wrong course of action or fail to act appropriately, I've got between 16.5 and 60 seconds to contemplate my life choice and get my affairs in order. :)

Even then, primacy-recency is a big deal: I was trained one way to execute emergency procedures in 1994, and reinforced those up to around 2007 when I got an instructional rating.  Since then, along with my fellow instructors, I teach a different way to execute EPs to my students (the "preferred modern method") and switched my EPs to match.

When the requirement to execute was upon me, the training kicked in and 20+ year old muscle memory did too: I executed "the old way."  Good thing its just "the old way" and not the "proven bad you're certainly going to die doing it that way" way.

I got to walk away from that one with nothing but a good story and some funny video.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.