RT-600 Capabilities

Started by blackrain, July 16, 2016, 12:45:55 AM

blackrain

Took my Form 91 the other day and it got me thinking.....Based on a cursory search it looks like 2011 was the last time there was much discussion on the DF capabilities and equipment on our aircraft on CAP Talk. That said I know my wing has all RT-600 units that receive the standard emergency frequencies as well as all of the 406 Cospas-Sarsat frequencies which go a long way toward taking the search out of search and rescue. There is also a page on the unit that allows programming of various practice frequencies in some small chunks of the spectrum but these don't cover a lot of the spectrum. I have also recently found out that RhoTheta now offers wideband units that can now cover 118-470 MHz. Units made since 2013 can have their frequencies opened up by a software upgrade. Before that time it would require a hardware upgrade. My question is would it be worthwhile to add wideband units/capability so we could have DF capability on say FRS channel 1 (462.5625 MHz) or 2M Amateur (146.520 MHz) Simplex or other popularly available/"emergency" frequencies depending on the service/band...etc.. The idea being able to locate those in distress by some means likely to be available to them. Yes, I understand there would be a financial cost for the added capability and that could be a deal breaker. Just looking for opinions/discussion.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy