Main Menu

CLC

Started by Jill, July 09, 2016, 08:14:06 PM

Jill

I am planning on completing the CLC in the near future.  Can anyone give me an idea of how much time is generally needed to complete this course.

Thank You.

Eclipse

2 days, generally one weekend.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jill

Thonawit

The online version is 8 weeks and take a couple of hours per week to complete
Regularly contradicts, contradicted CAP Regulations...

UWONGO2

My wing hosts a combined SLS/CLC that completes both in one weekend. It starts on a Friday evening and wraps up Sunday afternoon, allowing participants to complete both courses. I'm not sure what changes they made to fit both into one weekend, but I've been told NHQ signed off on it.

DakRadz

May I ask what wing? If need be, send me a PM!

Never mind, see below. Dave ruined me with blunt truth. :'(
But really, he's probably right...

SarDragon

Quote from: UWONGO2 on July 16, 2016, 12:09:38 AM
My wing hosts a combined SLS/CLC that completes both in one weekend. It starts on a Friday evening and wraps up Sunday afternoon, allowing participants to complete both courses. I'm not sure what changes they made to fit both into one weekend, but I've been told NHQ signed off on it.
If they are letting people complete both courses in one weekend, they aren't doing it right. Each course has about 12 hours of contact time, and trying to cram all that into two and a half days is unfair to the students and instructors. I took the two courses in consecutive weekends, and found that process lacking, too. There's too much info to assimilate, and not enough time between courses to get any practical use of what's been learned. Taking these courses shouldn't be just a matter of checking two boxes. Having that attitude is a waste of everyone's time.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

EMT-83

What is it with folks constantly trying to re-invent the wheel?

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on July 16, 2016, 03:39:12 AM
Quote from: UWONGO2 on July 16, 2016, 12:09:38 AM
If they are letting people complete both courses in one weekend, they aren't doing it right. Each course has about 12 hours of contact time, and trying to cram all that into two and a half days is unfair to the students and instructors. I took the two courses in consecutive weekends, and found that process lacking, too. There's too much info to assimilate, and not enough time between courses to get any practical use of what's been learned. Taking these courses shouldn't be just a matter of checking two boxes. Having that attitude is a waste of everyone's time.

+1 - not to mention there's no time to let the lessons "bake-in" it's just somebody's "Good Idea", and they clearly don't understand the program or
the developmental intentions behind it.

Properly done, SLS should give a member new or better perspective and a stronger toolbox and CAP network.  That perspective should then
be baked for a year or two so that when they get to CLC, they bring new questions and experience to the table.

Also, from a programmatic perspective, you don't have a job or grade that fits CLC, either, if you're doing it at SLS-level.

Cramming like this just checks a box to the detriment of the member and the program, not to mention the credibility of CAP-PD.

Cramming just checks a box to the

"That Others May Zoom"

County

Quote from: Thonawit on July 15, 2016, 02:02:10 PM

Where might one find this online course?
TSgt

MSG Mac

Quote from: County on August 10, 2016, 04:49:08 PM

In E-services under online courses.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: County on August 10, 2016, 04:49:08 PM

https://www.capmembers.com/cap_university/cap_elearning/cap-online-learning/

Requires Wing CC approval, and comprehensive dental.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ozzy

I guess the question is, how long does/should it take to get approved? Would waiting over a month warrant sending an email to find out what's going on?
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

SarDragon

Why do you need to take the course online? Doing it that way loses much of the benefit of the course.

I just finished teaching SLS this afternoon, and will be doing a CLC next month, so there's some street cred here.

One of our lunchtime discussion topics was the networking and personal interaction going on in the class. Much of the class was people who had been members less than three years, and who hadn't had much interaction outside their own units. They really appreciated the opportunity ask questions and get outside opinions.

Very little of this is available online.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

+1

With regards to your question, which approval is a month old pending?  NHQ or your wing?

They only run online CLC every so often, is there a cohort you're expecting to be a part of?

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Just directed a TLC using the new materials this Saturday. Doing stuff face to face really makes a difference.

Ozzy

Quote from: SarDragon on August 15, 2016, 03:56:16 AM
Why do you need to take the course online? Doing it that way loses much of the benefit of the course.

I just finished teaching SLS this afternoon, and will be doing a CLC next month, so there's some street cred here.

One of our lunchtime discussion topics was the networking and personal interaction going on in the class. Much of the class was people who had been members less than three years, and who hadn't had much interaction outside their own units. They really appreciated the opportunity ask questions and get outside opinions.

Simply, I am looking to continue my PD. The online course would allow me to do so easily and on my own time until wing decides to put out that they are doing a class. Does there really need to be another reason?
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Ozzy on August 24, 2016, 07:15:09 PM

Quote from: SarDragon on August 15, 2016, 03:56:16 AM

Simply, I am looking to continue my PD. The online course would allow me to do so easily and on my own time until wing decides to put out that they are doing a class. Does there really need to be another reason?

The slides and course materials are all online. Go ahead and read them ,but typically the online courses are reserved for extreme cases.

FyreDragn

I'm on the road quite a bit with work and have missed all of the local CLC courses because of this.  I would love to be able to take the CLC online and have submitted the application to take it online, but haven't heard a response in almost 2 months now.  I'm now a Deputy Commander and this course would really be helpful.

Should I email wing to find out my options?
Deputy Commander
Information Technology Officer - Master
Professional Development Officer - Technician
Middle GA Senior Squadron

kwe1009

Quote from: FyreDragn on September 06, 2016, 08:43:15 PM
I'm on the road quite a bit with work and have missed all of the local CLC courses because of this.  I would love to be able to take the CLC online and have submitted the application to take it online, but haven't heard a response in almost 2 months now.  I'm now a Deputy Commander and this course would really be helpful.

Do you know if your request even made it to Wing?  The application goes through the chain of command so your squadron and Group (if you have one) must approve before it goes to Wing.

JeffDG

99% of the time the answer to this question is "No"

You have a squadron and a chain of command for a reason.

EMT-83

Quote from: JeffDG on September 06, 2016, 11:34:25 PM

In theory, this answer is correct. In practice, I received a lot of inquiries directly from members while on Wing staff. The black hole between the squadron and Wing is enormous - sometimes by accident, other times not.

JeffDG

Quote from: EMT-83 on September 07, 2016, 01:12:27 AM

In theory, this answer is correct. In practice, I received a lot of inquiries directly from members while on Wing staff. The black hole between the squadron and Wing is enormous - sometimes by accident, other times not.
I know.  And wing staff being "helpful" simply perpetuates it...

These inquiries need to go through the chain-of-command for the simple reason that the rest of the CoC needs to know what is happening in their units.  A call to a "helpful" Wing Staffer bypasses that entirely.

EMT-83

Quote from: JeffDG on September 07, 2016, 01:22:39 AM
Quote from: EMT-83 on September 07, 2016, 01:12:27 AM

I know.  And wing staff being "helpful" simply perpetuates it...

These inquiries need to go through the chain-of-command for the simple reason that the rest of the CoC needs to know what is happening in their units.  A call to a "helpful" Wing Staffer bypasses that entirely.

When the squadron commander's desk is the black hole and no one else knows what's going on, a "helpful" staffer can be essential to the guy trying to get past first base. Is it the way it should be? No. Is it the way it is? Yes.

GaryVC

I have recently rejoined CAP. I think that the CoC thing is badly overdone in CAP. When I was in a MAJCOM Hq in the Air Force I never hesitated to reach out (usually by telephone as it was long before email) to anyone that I thought could help me with a issue. I wasn't calling colonels but their subordinates. The problems I have seen so far in CAP seem to be exactly like this one: lack of information about training. However, if you are communicating by email I suggest you CC your commander. If that is uncomfortable you probably shouldn't send the message until you are.

SarDragon

I don't know if you were O or E, but being at a MAJCOM has a different dynamic than a a regular rubber-meets-the-road unit. WIWOAD, I had occasion to call the Pentagon on a personal matter, and my immediate supervisor was in the loop on it ahead of time.

CoC certainly matters in CAP. It allows those who need to know what's going on to do that.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

GaryVC

Quote from: SarDragon on September 07, 2016, 05:57:18 PM
I don't know if you were O or E, but being at a MAJCOM has a different dynamic than a a regular rubber-meets-the-road unit. WIWOAD, I had occasion to call the Pentagon on a personal matter, and my immediate supervisor was in the loop on it ahead of time.

CoC certainly matters in CAP. It allows those who need to know what's going on to do that.

While I agree to a certain extent, I was balled out when I tried to find out when the next SLS was. No one in the squadron knew (and still don't, we have been told vaguely "in the fall"). I don't know why anyone would get this excited about someone trying to find out about training. This is not a subject that ever came up in the Air Force and it really isn't CoC related other than it would be nice for everyone concerned to know.

Eclipse

Quote from: GaryVC on September 07, 2016, 03:21:25 PM
I have recently rejoined CAP. I think that the CoC thing is badly overdone in CAP. When I was in a MAJCOM Hq in the Air Force I never hesitated to reach out (usually by telephone as it was long before email) to anyone that I thought could help me with a issue. I wasn't calling colonels but their subordinates.

Comparing the organizational cultures fails due to the lack of baseline training.  In the military, everyone (for the most part) has attended the same BMT, A-schools, academy, or saluting school,
so there is an expectation of a basic understanding of protocol and how the chain should work.  Some services or sections may be more or less lax then others, but
it's turned back to "10" with a look or a comment.  Not so in CAP.

CAP doesn't have anything near to that - pilots walk in the door as Captains and never complete Level 1, yet they start flying with their friend on
wing staff and just ignore their CC (BTDT). In that case they don't even recognize a chain exists. Then CAP sets up all sorts of circular reporting relationships
because everyone is triple-billeted at 4 echelons ("Wait, are you my CC for this, or am I yours?"), and in the mix the grade means nothing in regards to
expectation of knowledge or authority.

But the biggest issue with jumping the chain in CAP is that everyone feels "empowered".  Between NPD-inducing social media, diminished attention span, and
general outrage culture, many believe all opinions are equal and there should be no hierarchy.  Mind you, they have no interest in doing the 6-8+ months
of prep work to actually execute a respective activity, they "just want to be heard".   

In that paradigm, if the chain wasn't hammered constantly, the wing staff would never get anything done because they'd just have the
same circular conversations over and over.

Another issue is higher HQ staff making "decisions" and directing action outside their non-existent authority. Again, due largely to lack of
consistent training and poor leadership, many Group, wing and region staffers believe their are the defacto commander of their department for
their echelon, when in fact, they have zero authority (absent specific and published delegation). 

The CAP chain is actually quite short, 6 people at most, usually 5, and in some wings 4, people are the only ones who
can actually direct action and make policy decisions and interpretations. Everyone else is acting under staff delegation and can't do anything
outside the regs or make a policy decision in gray areas without their CC's approval.

So to bring this back around to real-world examples, I've had more then a few issues where as a CC, I am working with my either
subordinate CC's or higher HQ to come to a policy decision on "x".  It's gray, it's a PITA, and we need an eagle to eventually make a descision
so we can stop asking the question(s).

Meanwhile, well-intentioned member calls 2 clicks over his unit of assignment and asks a staffer "what's the deal?" The staffer
gives him his opinion, the well-intentioned member takes it as gospel, and never says anything to his CC, just implements.  The staffer
speaking out of turn wants things "a certain way", so he perpetuates his opinion, and never says anything either.  Manwhile the CC"s
working the problem have to keep re-correcting people on the "right" way to do things.

Huge time suck and unnecessary.

And with all that said...

Quote from: GaryVC on September 07, 2016, 07:55:39 PM
While I agree to a certain extent, I was balled out when I tried to find out when the next SLS was. No one in the squadron knew (and still don't, we have been told vaguely "in the fall"). I don't know why anyone would get this excited about someone trying to find out about training.

In a lot of cases this happens because the staffer responsible for the "thing" blew it off or was "going to get around to it soon" and
felt called out, so it's easy to hammer the chain instead of eating it. 

Lack of information is a huge problem in CAP, they can't even decide what the publication medium is, and are
under the humorous misconception that TwitSpace is the place to publish news and important information,
despite having a disparagingly anemic actual social presence, not to mention no actual strategy whatsoever,
so even when things are published, you have to work far too hard to find them.

"That Others May Zoom"

GaryVC

I think the main publication method for getting out the word on training and many other activities should be the wing calendar. If it was up to date (a year out is best) many of the kind of questions I have (when is TLC, SLS, CLC, RSC, etc?) would never arise.