Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 26, 2017, 10:39:00 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Tools of the trade  |  Topic: It's time for me to buy a new set of boots.
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: It's time for me to buy a new set of boots.  (Read 1355 times)
Mordecai
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

Unit: SI

« on: June 21, 2016, 10:25:07 PM »

The problem is, I can't seem to find a pair of black all leather combat boots!

My reqs I think are simple enough:
1. All leather
2. Height: 8"
3. Plain toe

But it seems I can only pick 2.

This is the closest thing I could find. It has 2 and 3, but not 1.

Can someone help me out here? Or should I just cave and deal with the nylon fabric uppers?
audiododd
Recruit

Unit: PCR-CA-096

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 10:35:34 PM »

http://tacticalgear.com/mcrae-10-all-leather-combat-panama-black?gclid=CjwKEAjwy6O7BRDzm-Tdub6ZiSASJADPNzYrOH5pryoleqN2mHXPMFPPM8GH80ZDqZm11mFJpm7x5BoC2ffw_wcB#/2597/653,439,5131/1?dl=b

These are the 10", but it seems that all-leather "combat boots" are getting harder to find. Most services have moved to a suede boot and the leftovers have a lot of nylon. I absolutely LOVED my old black jungle boots and had them resolved for years until the AF moved away from the black boots.

Do these need to be aircrew (i.e. Flight-rated) boots? Cause that's a whole 'nother story.

The ones you linked are minimalist boots, so they'll take a while to get used to. I wouldn't buy them and then go on a 5-hour UDF mission :-)
Storm Chaser

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 10:38:16 PM »

I can't help you with the all-leather boots (I'm sure they're out there, but I haven't seen any in years). That said, I strongly recommend the Rocky S2V boots. I have a pair in sage green and just got a new pair in black, and absolutely love them. While they're a little bit on the pricier side, these are by far the most comfortable boots I've ever had.
Mordecai

Unit: SI

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 10:58:51 PM »

Do these need to be aircrew (i.e. Flight-rated) boots? Cause that's a whole 'nother story.

What is the difference? Searching for flight boots pointed me at the Belleville 800ST, which looks at first glance like it fits the bill...
audiododd
Recruit

Unit: PCR-CA-096

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 11:52:20 PM »

I don't know about WA, but the CAWG supplement to 39-1 USED to only allow all leather or approved flight boots (I can't find it anymore -- I've heard it's down for revision).  Flight approved boots have no nylon (they use some other kind of synthetic fabric) to melt into your feet in the event of a crash.  It's getting hard to find a list of black USAF approved flight boots anymore since they have moved to the Sage Green and Desert Tan flight boots, but I have an old USAF policy letter that defines the black boots that are "safe to fly"  and the 700, 770, & 790 are approved.  There are probably some others for other services as well.  I just bought the 700s for aircrew duties because the all leather make my feet sweat horribly (especially in the CA Central Valley :-)

Dodd
vento

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 01:46:42 AM »

I don't know about WA, but the CAWG supplement to 39-1 USED to only allow all leather or approved flight boots (I can't find it anymore -- I've heard it's down for revision).  Flight approved boots have no nylon (they use some other kind of synthetic fabric) to melt into your feet in the event of a crash.  It's getting hard to find a list of black USAF approved flight boots anymore since they have moved to the Sage Green and Desert Tan flight boots, but I have an old USAF policy letter that defines the black boots that are "safe to fly"  and the 700, 770, & 790 are approved.  There are probably some others for other services as well.  I just bought the 700s for aircrew duties because the all leather make my feet sweat horribly (especially in the CA Central Valley :-)

Dodd

Keyword: "USED TO"
DakRadz

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 09:45:14 AM »

Belleville. I only stopped wearing mine 5 years later because it turns out that's not my boot size.....

Beware their search feature, it's as bad as CT! (or was last I looked)
Ozzy
Seasoned Member

Unit: NY

NY-288 Squadron Website
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 03:38:57 PM »

As stated above, it's hard to find all of your points... I prefer my Nike boots. Ultra comfortable and you can do a 12-mile ruck in them the day you get them and you won't have to worry about blisters. http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/sfb-field-8-mens-boot/pid-10028427/pgid-10267225?cp=usns_kw_pla%21g%21t%21nobr%21&k_clickid=d6283044-c19e-47ed-8986-94dcbab39e61
Ozyilmaz, TSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
SGT, ARNG (Out!)

NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, (17)
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
LATORRECA
Forum Regular

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 04:16:48 PM »

Check the Corcoran Boots. They are great boots and they offer free shipping. http://uspatriottactical.com/corcoran/?&category-id=185&filter=Sub-Category_fq:%22Jump%20and%20Paratrooper%20Boots%22&filter=Shipping_fq:%22True%22&rows=20&start=0
HGjunkie

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 09:50:35 PM »

Cocoran Marauders: Comfortable, lightweight, don't last terribly long.

Belleville Khybers: Comfortable, lightweight, heavy duty.

Modern USAF Flight Boots have nylon in them, I don't think all-leather is the best way to go about anything.
retired
C1C USAFA
Panzerbjorn
Seasoned Member

Unit: MER-NC-048

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 07:46:40 AM »

Give these a try.  I bought a pair of them for my son based on research and a lot of recommendations from others, and he says they're the most comfortable pair of boots he's ever worn.  Says they feel like he's wearing running shoes.  So, I bought a low cut pair of Haix over Father's Day weekend for flying duties.  Yup, Haix are definitely comfortable.  Just make sure you order a half size bigger than your normal SHOE (not boot) size.

http://www.tacticalbootstore.com/haix-300103-black-eagle-tactical-high-boots-p-3998.html
USACAP
Forum Regular

Unit: MV0181

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 02:48:37 PM »

I work with Coasties every day.
Most of them are wearing all-leather boots.
Navy wears black leather too...
What's for sale @ the Naval Clothing Sales??
I'd start there...
Or here:
https://www.bellevilleboot.com/shop/index.php?&c=1&l=product_list&color=12&gender=17&climate=3&features=5&width=&size=&sortby=&shn=8&c=1&l=product_list&color=12&gender=17&climate=3&features=5&width=&size=&sortby=&shn=21
Jester
Forum Regular

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 03:03:36 PM »

The navy issue boot is available through MCS and it's less than $80. Polishable, steel toe, oil resistant sole.
SarDragon
Global Moderator

Unit: NAVAIRPAC

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 03:40:49 PM »

The navy issue boot is available through MCS and it's less than $80. Polishable, steel toe, oil resistant sole.

And can be uncomfortable, if they are still like what's sitting in my closet from a while back. It depends on your chosen foot-boot interface. I double sock, and have gel insoles. Try them on before you buy if at all possible.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret
Pages: [1] Print 
CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Tools of the trade  |  Topic: It's time for me to buy a new set of boots.