Cadets Over 18 - O'Flights Type 99

Started by Buckle Up Buckaroo, June 13, 2016, 02:07:49 AM

Buckle Up Buckaroo

Hey team, so as a new o-flight pilot in CAP, I'm trying to get used to the flight regulations CAP mandates and I had a question from a cadet in my squadron that I didn't know the answer to. Basically, I'm planning on giving a 15-year-old cadet his last powered O'flight next week (syllabus 10), and another cadet who is over the age of 18 wanted to see if regulations allowed for her to ride in the backseat (I believe this is called a "type 99 flight"?). Is this possible even though she's over 18? Thanks in advance! :)

Eclipse

No.

CAPP 52-7, Page 2.
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P052_007_9F576CAE3B358.pdf

"The program is limited to current CAP cadets under 18 years of age."

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

So take her on a flight other than a paid O-Ride.  As long as you follow the rule of three, in most instances of proficiency flying 'any' CAP member can ride along back seat. There are a couple of Profiles that I don't think allow ride-alongs, but most do. Senior Pilot and Senior Observer up front. If weight and balance allow, you could take one or two Cadets or even SMs in the back.

(Someone may come along and challenge me on this) ... but if we are not allowing kids age 18-21 to fly at all .. I'd like to know the reasons for keeping them down. And again, I'm not talking about O-Rides.

And what of member paid flights? If I'm paying for the plane and take along another Senior member front seat, why can't a Cadet ride back.

(Seems we have had this discussion before, with answers varied among Wings and Squadrons.)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on June 13, 2016, 02:43:46 AM... but if we are not allowing kids age 18-21 to fly at all .. I'd like to know the reasons for keeping them down. And again, I'm not talking about O-Rides.

They are not "kids", they are "cadets", and upon turning 18 they are subject to the same flight rules and regs as senior members (with the caveats regarding CPT), which means they
are past "orientation" and can qualify to be aircrew along with seniors.

An 18 year old cadet should be flying right-seat as an Observer, or in the least as a Scanner, which is far more valuable in several vectors then just being ballast in the back seat.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: etodd on June 13, 2016, 02:43:46 AM
So take her on a flight other than a paid O-Ride.  As long as you follow the rule of three, in most instances of proficiency flying 'any' CAP member can ride along back seat. There are a couple of Profiles that I don't think allow ride-alongs, but most do. Senior Pilot and Senior Observer up front. If weight and balance allow, you could take one or two Cadets or even SMs in the back.

(Someone may come along and challenge me on this) ... but if we are not allowing kids age 18-21 to fly at all .. I'd like to know the reasons for keeping them down. And again, I'm not talking about O-Rides.

And what of member paid flights? If I'm paying for the plane and take along another Senior member front seat, why can't a Cadet ride back.

(Seems we have had this discussion before, with answers varied among Wings and Squadrons.)
Get them started on the Scanner qualification, thence on to Observer.

ProdigalJim

^^^^^^

What JeffDG said. Extract maximum value from the sortie and get this cadet started on Scanner (or AP). Good for the program, increases the value of the flight and helps add to our proficient aircrew numbers.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

JeffDG

Quote from: ProdigalJim on June 13, 2016, 08:45:39 PM
^^^^^^

What JeffDG said. Extract maximum value from the sortie and get this cadet started on Scanner (or AP). Good for the program, increases the value of the flight and helps add to our proficient aircrew numbers.
A12 is a great bucket of funding to use for this.

And you have to start with Scanner...Scanner is a prereq for AP