Electronic Flight Bag

Started by grunt82abn, May 29, 2016, 11:13:44 PM

Panzerbjorn

Quote from: JeffDG on June 04, 2016, 04:27:02 PM
Quote from: Panzerbjorn on June 04, 2016, 04:24:23 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on June 04, 2016, 04:00:24 PM
Quote from: Mission/Tow Pilot on June 02, 2016, 05:02:29 AM
Quote from: Live2Learn on June 02, 2016, 12:19:30 AM
Foreflight Pro with synthetic vision ($174.99 annual cost).  I use the SAR package, and have found SV very helpful when flying in "VFR" smoke and haze.  I use a 2013 iPad on a Ram yoke mount.  It works well in a CAP 182.  I like the larger screen than the Mini since sometimes detail is important.
Cool, I use ForeFlight Pro Plus on a 2016 iPad mini as it seems to fit the right side of yoke better in portrait orientation. Here is a pic, and don't give me crap about the uniform :)

Curious:  Why do you have a different approach up on the iPad than you're flying?  iPad shows a straight LNAV, but panel shows you flying an LNAV+V approach.

The G1000 will still calculate VNAV "recommendations" for you even when it's not an LPV approach.

There are 3 different types of RNAV approaches.

LNAV only (on chart)
LNAV+V (on G1000)
And LPV

These are all distinct, although the you can have all of them on one approach, the plate shown is LNAV only.

Yes.  I know.  The G1000 will still calculate the VNAV for you even when you select or forced to select an LNAV approach only.  You have the option to turn the VNAV off, which you can see on the MFD along the soft keys.  Most of the time, I turn it off as it could be distracting, but it has its uses. The idea is to fly a stabilized approach using the calculated VNAV recommendations instead of a dive and drive style approach.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on June 04, 2016, 10:05:41 PM

Yes.  I know.  The G1000 will still calculate the VNAV for you even when you select or forced to select an LNAV approach only.  You have the option to turn the VNAV off, which you can see on the MFD along the soft keys.  Most of the time, I turn it off as it could be distracting, but it has its uses. The idea is to fly a stabilized approach using the calculated VNAV recommendations instead of a dive and drive style approach.
My response was for JeffDG, I know you know [emoji1]

Interesting that you turn VNV off. If you still use the autopilot then I presume you fly it using VS to set a target speed and power for a target descent rate.

I'm curious why you think that VNV is distracting as it seems that it would inherently have a lower workload with the AP in GS capture mode.

Panzerbjorn

My response was for Jeff as well.  :D

It's been my experience using the VNAV on a non-LPV approach that after you cross the FAF, the VNAV guidance disappears from the screen, which can be distracting in itself if you're flying the approach like you were flying an LPV.

While I'm in agreement that a constant stabilized approach is safer and more comfortable for your passengers, there are situations where it's more desirable for a dive and drive approach to get to your MDA, such as you have a rough idea where that ceiling is and that your MDA lies below it.  There are also some approaches, such as at my home airport, which have lower minimums on an LNAV only approach than an LNAV/VNAV approach.  See below.

So, like all things in flying, the answer is "It Delends".  I also fly and teach in an airplane that's equipped with an earlier non-WAAS G1000.  So, between the reasons above and the fact that I can't use the VNAV anyway beyond a recommendation, I often find the VNAV a bit distracting when I'm not actually trying to use it.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on June 04, 2016, 11:16:50 PM
My response was for Jeff as well.  :D

It's been my experience using the VNAV on a non-LPV approach that after you cross the FAF, the VNAV guidance disappears from the screen, which can be distracting in itself if you're flying the approach like you were flying an LPV.

While I'm in agreement that a constant stabilized approach is safer and more comfortable for your passengers, there are situations where it's more desirable for a dive and drive approach to get to your MDA, such as you have a rough idea where that ceiling is and that your MDA lies below it.  There are also some approaches, such as at my home airport, which have lower minimums on an LNAV only approach than an LNAV/VNAV approach.  See below.

So, like all things in flying, the answer is "It Delends".  I also fly and teach in an airplane that's equipped with an earlier non-WAAS G1000.  So, between the reasons above and the fact that I can't use the VNAV anyway beyond a recommendation, I often find the VNAV a bit distracting when I'm not actually trying to use it.
Very good, thank you for sharing!