Duct tape helps rescue hiker

Started by LSThiker, May 20, 2016, 03:02:09 PM

LSThiker

More uses for Duct tape

http://patch.com/california/elkgrove/duct-tape-rescue-missing-hiker-spells-out-help

Nevertheless something to remember as it could be very difficult to find duct tape on a rock.

Holding Pattern

Note to self. Buy orange duct tape for 24 hour pack.

grunt82abn

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on May 20, 2016, 03:02:52 PM
Note to self. Buy orange duct tape for 24 hour pack.

That is a fine idea!!! I think the OD green 100 mile an hour tape I have now would be a little harder to see from the air :D
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

Falling Hare

And while you are adding to your 24-hour pack be sure and include an ordinary Compact Disc.  They make a cheap and effective signal mirror!

Just sight through the hole!

"Children do not need expensive toys..."

THRAWN

Quote from: Falling Hare on May 21, 2016, 02:53:55 PM
And while you are adding to your 24-hour pack be sure and include an ordinary Compact Disc.  They make a cheap and effective signal mirror!

Just sight through the hole!

"Children do not need expensive toys..."

This has been discussed and tested. It is nowhere as effective as a signal mirror. Invest the five bucks and dont cheap on survival gear.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

A compact what now?

In a pinch, your phone, watch, or anything reflective can be effective (emergency blanket amirite Spaceman?),
but as mentioned, nothing beats a real mirror.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on May 21, 2016, 03:47:40 PM
can be effective (emergency blanket amirite Spaceman?),

You and I have different definitions of effective sir.

SarDragon

I've been out on exercises a couple of times with a mirror, and a CD. The mirror is MUCH more effective than a CD. Even when I taped off 3/4 of the mirror, it still worked better than the CD.

Because of the nature of the CD, it diffuses the light, rather than simply reflecting it like a mirror does. If you want to test it out, take a mirror and a CD outside, and reflect sunlight onto the side of a building. The CD will make a large, fuzzy area of light, while the mirror reflection will be much smaller and brighter.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Airplane girl

I have shiny silver duct tape in my 24 hour pack...

(And an actual signal mirror, don't worry)