Main Menu

Transgender Policy

Started by CAPDCCMOM, May 13, 2016, 05:21:13 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: varitec on June 08, 2016, 02:50:43 PM
Though I know the activists want to frame it this way, I reject the idea that the issue being discussed here, which involves individual choices and behaviors, is on par with the struggles of women and minorities in history.

You are welcome to have your views, but it doesn't change the facts or the science that disagrees with them.

Storm Chaser

Sorry, but at this point in time there is no conclusive fact or science with definite answers on anything.

dwb

Quote from: varitec on June 08, 2016, 02:50:43 PMThough I know the activists want to frame it this way, I reject the idea that the issue being discussed here, which involves individual choices and behaviors, is on par with the struggles of women and minorities in history.

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 08, 2016, 03:08:33 PMSorry, but at this point in time there is no conclusive fact or science with definite answers on anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biology_and_sexual_orientation

There absolutely is a body of science on the nature of sexual orientation. To frame it as merely an "individual choice", like whether you prefer Coke or Pepsi, is intellectually dishonest.

vorteks

Quote from: dwb on June 08, 2016, 03:22:25 PM
Quote from: varitec on June 08, 2016, 02:50:43 PMThough I know the activists want to frame it this way, I reject the idea that the issue being discussed here, which involves individual choices and behaviors, is on par with the struggles of women and minorities in history.

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 08, 2016, 03:08:33 PMSorry, but at this point in time there is no conclusive fact or science with definite answers on anything.

There absolutely is a body of science on the nature of sexual orientation. To frame it as merely an "individual choice", like whether you prefer Coke or Pepsi, is intellectually dishonest.

And I think comparing it to the struggles of African Americans and women is intellectually dishonest. At best.

dwb

Well, we weren't talking about the sum of all human history. We're talking about CAP.

Your "individual choice" remark told me everything I need to know. You and I won't reach consensus on any facet of this debate.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: dwb on June 08, 2016, 03:22:25 PM

Wikipedia is hardly a reliable source. The fact remains that, while there are many studies, there is still much disagreement on the matter. And for the record, I'm not promoting or advocating for one view over another. I'm saying it's not CAP's place or role to do so.

vorteks

Quote from: dwb on June 08, 2016, 03:40:24 PM
Well, we weren't talking about the sum of all human history. We're talking about CAP.

Your "individual choice" remark told me everything I need to know. You and I won't reach consensus on any facet of this debate.

Wise of you to realize that.

dwb

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 08, 2016, 03:43:05 PMWikipedia is hardly a reliable source.
I almost put a disclaimer in my last post, because I knew you would say this.

Scroll down to the "References" section. What's that? Oh, a gigantic list of research papers, many from peer-reviewed journals.

I wasn't quoting Wikipedia to be authoritative, but to show the existence of the research.

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 08, 2016, 03:43:05 PMThe fact remains that, while there are many studies, there is still much disagreement on the matter.
This is called manufacturing doubt. It's how the tobacco companies denied the link between smoking and cancer.

I get that there are social/political/religious disagreements. No argument there. And in the political system those arguments can and should be had.

But to assert that there isn't a scientific consensus view is just wrong. http://www.apa.org/topics/lgbt/orientation.pdf

vorteks

Asserting "scientific consensus" is itself a political tactic meant to stifle debate.  Also, I didn't see any "science" about the topic of this thread in any of your cites.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: varitec on June 08, 2016, 04:06:03 PM
Asserting "scientific consensus" is itself a political tactic meant to stifle debate.  Also, I didn't see any "science" about the topic of this thread in any of your cites.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biology_and_sexual_orientation#References

You can stick your head in the sand, put your fingers in your ears, close your eyes, and make noise, but it doesn't change anything.

RogueLeader

My take on it is, is that no matter what, at the end of the day, we need to protect and serve all of our members as best we can.  Unfortunately, we can not accommodate everyone.  If we "have" to make an accommodation for one person to make sure that he/she does feels "comfortable/safe/non-threatend", but it makes five others feel the opposite, how does that make sense?

For example, if Cadet A is biologically male, but identifies as female, and MUST (won't use a separate facility) use the female berthing/showering areas in order to feel positive/inclusive/safe, but that makes Cadets B, D N, and X feel threatened/unsafe/etc, should we be required to tell those Cadets to suck it up?  I don't think that's right either.

Should we make accommodations to the best of our ability, of course.  Should we be proactive in dealing with this, you gosh darn right.  Should we trash on persons feelings over someone else's, not a chance.  Should we prioritize the importance of one persons feelings over another groups, not necessarily. 

My personal feelings are what they are, and I can disagree with where things are headed.  That doesn't mean that I can't- and more importantly won't support all members of CAP, regardless of identity, orientation, gender, ethnicity, or religion.  Because I have and I will.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

vorteks

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on June 08, 2016, 04:19:12 PM

You can stick your head in the sand, put your fingers in your ears, close your eyes, and make noise, but it doesn't change anything.

You do realize "sexual orientation" is not the topic of this thread.....

RogueLeader

Really, I know several homosexual people, of both genders.  Two of them, one male and one female, that were both totally straight, until they got burned by the opposite gender, then turned gay.  I also know others that are bi-sexual and changed from one type of relationships for the other.  And still I know of several others that always knew themselves as homosexual.  I also know a man, who feels that he is a Lesbian trapped in a mans body.  Can Science explain that?  I can't.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

THRAWN

I love this topic. People who have no expertise other than what they read on the internet all become experts when it comes up.

I ask again, since this topic has been discussed here for a decade, why has national been unable or unwilling to develop and field a policy to address it? Simple, really. Anybody?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: varitec on June 08, 2016, 04:29:06 PM

You do realize "sexual orientation" is not the topic of this thread.....

Do you?
Quote from: varitec on June 08, 2016, 02:50:43 PMThough I know the activists want to frame it this way, I reject the idea that the issue being discussed here, which involves individual choices and behaviors, is on par with the struggles of women and minorities in history.[/quote]

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: THRAWN on June 08, 2016, 04:35:16 PM
I love this topic. People who have no expertise other than what they read on the internet all become experts when it comes up.

I ask again, since this topic has been discussed here for a decade, why has national been unable or unwilling to develop and field a policy to address it? Simple, really. Anybody?

People who have no expertise at all, not even any layman understanding or research spew their thoughts on the matter here quite blatantly all the time.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: RogueLeader on June 08, 2016, 04:28:29 PM
My take on it is, is that no matter what, at the end of the day, we need to protect and serve all of our members as best we can.  Unfortunately, we can not accommodate everyone.  If we "have" to make an accommodation for one person to make sure that he/she does feels "comfortable/safe/non-threatend", but it makes five others feel the opposite, how does that make sense?

For example, if Cadet A is biologically male, but identifies as female, and MUST (won't use a separate facility) use the female berthing/showering areas in order to feel positive/inclusive/safe, but that makes Cadets B, D N, and X feel threatened/unsafe/etc, should we be required to tell those Cadets to suck it up?  I don't think that's right either.

Should we make accommodations to the best of our ability, of course.  Should we be proactive in dealing with this, you gosh darn right.  Should we trash on persons feelings over someone else's, not a chance.  Should we prioritize the importance of one persons feelings over another groups, not necessarily. 

My personal feelings are what they are, and I can disagree with where things are headed.  That doesn't mean that I can't- and more importantly won't support all members of CAP, regardless of identity, orientation, gender, ethnicity, or religion.  Because I have and I will.

I made that argument as well and was told that it wasn't about people's feelings, it was about equality.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 08, 2016, 04:39:25 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on June 08, 2016, 04:28:29 PM

I made that argument as well and was told that it wasn't about people's feelings, it was about equality.

Feelings are tricky. There are people who feel blacks and whites shouldn't be together. Others think Mexicans or Muslims shouldn't be judges. Your (and my) rights end at the point where they infringe on the rights of others.

RogueLeader

I'm certainly no expert, I just know me and my beliefs, and I report what I've experienced.

The policy is out there, you may not like the policy or how it was/was not communicated, but it is there.  Not to mention the the climate it is changing- so to speak- in this area, so the policy needs to change and adapt.  If you are that concerned with the policy/ or the lack there of in your mind, what have YOU done to correct that?  Take into consideration all the viewpoints that must be addressed in said policy, as well as all the federal, state and local laws.  I'll wait, but I won't hold my breath.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: RogueLeader on June 08, 2016, 04:42:00 PM

I'm certainly no expert, I just know me and my beliefs, and I report what I've experienced.

The policy is out there, you may not like the policy or how it was/was not communicated, but it is there.  Not to mention the the climate it is changing- so to speak- in this area, so the policy needs to change and adapt.  If you are that concerned with the policy/ or the lack there of in your mind, what have YOU done to correct that?  Take into consideration all the viewpoints that must be addressed in said policy, as well as all the federal, state and local laws.  I'll wait, but I won't hold my breath.

We can all agree that no one here is an expert (given a lack of anyone declaring so). There's a middle ground somewhere, but it's certainly not the status quo. Never has been.