Main Menu

Inter-Region Transfer

Started by Shieldel, April 29, 2016, 03:27:25 AM

Shieldel

Time to start looking for a different squadron...long story, will try to keep it brief - nothing bad! I'm deploying as a FEMA Intern to Baltimore, Maryland. I've been accepted as an AmeriCorps FEMA Corps Team Member and have orders to Balti, leaving for campus in July. Will be with FEMA for 10 months. I'm currently a Nellis Composite Squadron cadet so this will bean I inter-region move. Looking to transfer squadrons so I can continue to work on promotions and such. Does anybody know about the Osprey Comp Sq? MER MD022, that's the closest unit to my campus. Next closest would be Group 2 HQ. Any help is appreciated! I found those two units by using the go-CAP unit locator and plugging in my campus address.
Also how active is Maryland Wing in SAR/ES? I doubt I'll be doing much in ES but if I get down time and things are quiet with FEMA I may see if I can't jump into a SAREX or AFAM. 
Formerly 2d Lt Michael D. Scheidle
Formerly Jack Schofield Cadet Squadron
Member of PCR-NV070, 069, 802 throughout my CAP Career
Former CAP Member 2011-2018

AlphaSigOU

Shouldn't be a problem transferring... I don't know the quality of the Osprey Composite Squadron but MD Wing is relatively active in ES/SAR.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

Contacting someone at the Group HQ will probably get you the info on the units in the area.

You don't have to transfer - considering it's only 10 months, you could just stay on the books at Nellis
and participate in NER activities.

"That Others May Zoom"

Shieldel

How would promotions work then sir? It's actually my squadron commander on base telling me I should transfer and do the paperwork, even if it is a temporary unit move while with FEMA.

Eclipse

Quote from: Shieldel on April 29, 2016, 04:26:02 AM
How would promotions work then sir?

I didn't catch the first time around you were a cadet, so more of an issue promotion wise.

There's no reason your testing and participation couldn't be sent back to Nellis for them to
process, including the promotions, it'll be three max, probably less since you're going to be busy.

With the online stuff, that's a non-issue.  The rest you either make or don't not hard to track.

Quote from: Shieldel on April 29, 2016, 04:26:02 AM
It's actually my squadron commander on base telling me I should transfer and do the paperwork, even if it is a temporary unit move while with FEMA.
FYI - there's no transfer to do, nor paperwork, until you are accepted to another unit, many CC's require at least three meetings
for that, now you're down to 9 months.

As you are a cadet I'd have less heartburn about your transferring, but there are still non-trivial issues
about assuming a role in a squadron where you have no knowledge or history, especially when it's
a given you will leave, and without the leadership roles, as an officer it will be difficult to show the
participation needed to progress.

A lot depends on conversations between you, the potential new CCs, and your current CC.
The sooner the better.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Contact Information for Osprey Squadron

E-mail: k.lotvedt@semshred.com
Web site: http://www.ospreycap.org/
Phone: 410-905-9534
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Panzerbjorn

You don't have 'orders', you have Travel Authorization (TA).  Unless you are going to a Federally Declared Disaster, you're not being 'deployed'.  FEMA is a checkbook, not a broadsword.  ;)

I worked for FEMA in their Chicago Regional Office for 8 years, and WAS 'deployed' for multiple disasters. Then I did consulting work up in New York as a direct result of my FEMA experience. I have no idea what your duties in Baltimore will be, but you'll have fun and get a real taste for what FEMA is like.  I was disappointed when I first started to learn that it's not about swinging in from helicopters to take over disaster management and save the world.  You'll have fun, but just make sure you have realistic expectations of your adventure. :)
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

dwb

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 29, 2016, 05:14:47 AM
Contact Information for Osprey Squadron

E-mail: k.lotvedt@semshred.com
Web site: http://www.ospreycap.org/
Phone: 410-905-9534

That is clearly not their web site. Looks like the domain expired.

Shieldel

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on April 29, 2016, 12:45:06 PM
You don't have 'orders', you have Travel Authorization (TA).  Unless you are going to a Federally Declared Disaster, you're not being 'deployed'.  FEMA is a checkbook, not a broadsword.  ;)

I worked for FEMA in their Chicago Regional Office for 8 years, and WAS 'deployed' for multiple disasters. Then I did consulting work up in New York as a direct result of my FEMA experience. I have no idea what your duties in Baltimore will be, but you'll have fun and get a real taste for what FEMA is like.  I was disappointed when I first started to learn that it's not about swinging in from helicopters to take over disaster management and save the world.  You'll have fun, but just make sure you have realistic expectations of your adventure. :)

Poor phrasing, my bad for using said terminology, you think I'd know better given the crowd we have on this board! Haha. Funny I see this after explaining FEMA to my mother. While yes they have IMATs and can staff all or part of an ICP, they are primarily the govt's checkbook.

Yes AmeriCorps NCCC - FEMA Corps is covering and paying for my air travel to come to Baltimore and maybe I do sound a little too much like a 5 year old (yay deploying! and the like), I apologize for coming off across as a kid. I'm young in my own defense still (19) :P but in all seriousness, I'm just still in shock and surprise I even made it through the exhausting selection and vetting process. I just got my formal acceptance letter today, it's a done deal and I have been formally input into Baltimore's database as of today. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I'm going to soak up as much as I can.

My professional aspirations are indeed in emergency management, I LOVE working in an Incident Command Post, admittedly Nevada Wing has only offered me SAREX's (we hardly get an AFAM in these parts) but I LOVE the chaos of the post and LOVE photography and journalism so I'd love to be the PIO/PAO, it seems that's probably where I'm gonna do best at. Plan is to bust my butt knock the socks of my FEMA leaders and mentors, and use this internship to get my foot into the door. Any advice is appreciated and I'll try to stop sounding like a 5 year old from here on out. xD

Anthony@CAP

Transferring to the squadron you are working with will likely be logistically easier. Transfers only require a few button clicks in e-services, done by the squadron commanders at your new squadron. I would recommend hand carrying a copy of your paper record with you (for anything not in e-services). As a former commander with cadets in situations where they bounced back and forth for summer (divorced parents) this was the far simpler solution. I would just reach out to the local squadron and explain your situation and go from there.

If both your current commander AND your new commander can agree to processing paperwork with you still in your old squadron that can work as well; but it will add an extra step to everything, since anytime you complete something it will need to be sent to your old commander. The new commander (unless he is on region staff) also won't be able to pull most of your records in e-services.

Switching to my FEMA hat, working with FEMA Corps is a great opportunity, but beyond your initial training AmeriCorp's Atlantic Region Campus you are unlikely to stay in Baltimore. You should expect to move to one of FEMA's 10 regional offices, FEMA HQ, or a Joint Field Office (JFO) at a Federally Declared Disaster; and will likely go to more than one location over the 10-month period. JFOs are generally the first priority and you can expect to end up anywhere in the country; deployment orders to a Disaster can often come in short order, so don't be surprised if you have a sudden change in location at any point during your time with FEMA Corps. As such I would plan on transferring among multiple CAP units over the 10-month period.

Shieldel

Quote from: Anthony@CAP on April 29, 2016, 11:40:30 PM
Transferring to the squadron you are working with will likely be logistically easier. Transfers only require a few button clicks in e-services, done by the squadron commanders at your new squadron. I would recommend hand carrying a copy of your paper record with you (for anything not in e-services). As a former commander with cadets in situations where they bounced back and forth for summer (divorced parents) this was the far simpler solution. I would just reach out to the local squadron and explain your situation and go from there.

If both your current commander AND your new commander can agree to processing paperwork with you still in your old squadron that can work as well; but it will add an extra step to everything, since anytime you complete something it will need to be sent to your old commander. The new commander (unless he is on region staff) also won't be able to pull most of your records in e-services.

Switching to my FEMA hat, working with FEMA Corps is a great opportunity, but beyond your initial training AmeriCorp's Atlantic Region Campus you are unlikely to stay in Baltimore. You should expect to move to one of FEMA's 10 regional offices, FEMA HQ, or a Joint Field Office (JFO) at a Federally Declared Disaster; and will likely go to more than one location over the 10-month period. JFOs are generally the first priority and you can expect to end up anywhere in the country; deployment orders to a Disaster can often come in short order, so don't be surprised if you have a sudden change in location at any point during your time with FEMA Corps. As such I would plan on transferring among multiple CAP units over the 10-month period.
Ok since it appears you have experience with the Corps, I'll go in-depth sir! My CTI training is the first three weeks, I come to campus July 12th, Induction Day is August 9th, from there we're sent on spike. I do understand we'll rarely be at campus itself, campus is there for what appears to be no more than training, admin, and as a hub of sorts, a place to stay between spikes, while on transition periods. I don't mind not knowing where we'll be sent and how long we're staying, that point honestly excites me. FEMA aside, I just don't know to make this work and may have to accept being strictly FEMA. That's why I'm here. Should I just hand carry a copy of my file and as I float around the country, have that paperwork that would require region access and stay on Nellis' roster? I'm at a loss on how to make this work.

Eclipse

Quote from: Shieldel on April 30, 2016, 12:13:41 AMShould I just hand carry a copy of my file and as I float around the country, have that paperwork that would require region access and stay on Nellis' roster? I'm at a loss on how to make this work.

The region is anecdotally interesting but not an issue beyond that, it has no bearing on the conversation, nor does it change process.
You will transfer to another unit, what region it is doesn't matter.

You can't remove your files from the unit's cabinet until you actually transfer, until then, they "own" them.

Unless you arrange the transfer in advance, the files stay at Nellis, and then >if< you find a new unit, Nellis can send them.
Yes, a member can hand-carry their files, but not until after the transfer.  You can't just retain them pending a "maybe".

"That Others May Zoom"

Anthony@CAP

Eclipse is partially correct, the records do belong to CAP, and they can't let you take the originals (by CAPR39-2 and CAPR10-2 if you transfer your unit has to keep your file for 5 years after you transfer - they send a copy to your new unit - your originals records always stay with the unit that produced them).  What I should have suggested earlier is that you hand carry a COPY of your record. 

If you want to work on promotions I would suggest transferring units officially if you are going to be active in the new location, as it will make the paperwork much simpler, especially when it comes to paper tests. Just be aware that as you find out what your schedule and location really look like you may find it difficult to keep going, make sure to balance your time appropriately. I would wait to transfer until you are at your first assignment after training in Baltimore. Three weeks isn't that much time and you won't get much done with CAP in that time. You should have more time in your later assignments.

lordmonar

Mikey
You will talk to Maj Skorynko about how he wants to handle your records. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Panzerbjorn

Quote from: Shieldel on April 29, 2016, 11:16:21 PM
Quote from: Panzerbjorn on April 29, 2016, 12:45:06 PM

Poor phrasing, my bad for using said terminology, you think I'd know better given the crowd we have on this board! Haha. Funny I see this after explaining FEMA to my mother. While yes they have IMATs and can staff all or part of an ICP, they are primarily the govt's checkbook.

Yes AmeriCorps NCCC - FEMA Corps is covering and paying for my air travel to come to Baltimore and maybe I do sound a little too much like a 5 year old (yay deploying! and the like), I apologize for coming off across as a kid. I'm young in my own defense still (19) :P but in all seriousness, I'm just still in shock and surprise I even made it through the exhausting selection and vetting process. I just got my formal acceptance letter today, it's a done deal and I have been formally input into Baltimore's database as of today. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I'm going to soak up as much as I can.

My professional aspirations are indeed in emergency management, I LOVE working in an Incident Command Post, admittedly Nevada Wing has only offered me SAREX's (we hardly get an AFAM in these parts) but I LOVE the chaos of the post and LOVE photography and journalism so I'd love to be the PIO/PAO, it seems that's probably where I'm gonna do best at. Plan is to bust my butt knock the socks of my FEMA leaders and mentors, and use this internship to get my foot into the door. Any advice is appreciated and I'll try to stop sounding like a 5 year old from here on out. xD

No, no, you're completely fine.  I understand your excitement and I was the same way when I first started working for FEMA.  But FEMA is definitely not a military culture, it's a civilian corporate one.  The best advice I can give is just understand that and you're going to be working with all sorts of different types of personalities, from the 'been there done that' types to the burned out types to the eager beavers.  Just be excited to be working there, offer to help however you can, and don't have expectations that the FEMA full timers are going to have that military jargon and mindset ready to go. :)
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout