GA-8 qualifications

Started by mdickinson, May 18, 2007, 04:37:54 AM

mdickinson

I have a question about the requirements surrounding the initial checkout in the GA-8.

The requirements to get checked out in the GA-8 are given in CAPR 60-1 para. 3-3.a.(6). The sentence about who you have to take your checkride from reads:

Quote from: CAPR 60-1, 23 Jan 2007Receive an initial checkride from a CAP check pilot who has been certified by a factory-trained CAP check pilot or a CAP check pilot who has at least 1 year experience in the aircraft.
(emphasis mine)

I had planned to take my initial GA-8 checkride next week with a local check pilot who has been qualified in the GA-8 for more than a year. I was told recently that there is an additional requirement somewhere (in a policy letter, or in the soon-to-be-released update of CAPR 60-1) that check pilots have to take their initial GA-8 checkride with a factory-trained checkpilot.

I'd like to know if anyone reading this has knowledge of a policy letter, proposed regulation, or other document that either confirms or contradicts what I've been told.

If it's true I'm happy to comply, but I know that sometimes world-of-mouth "you should try to do it this way" information sometimes gets distorted into "you have to do it this way" due to the "Telephone"-game effect.

Thanks!

SJFedor

That's a toughie. I would talk to your wing Stan/Eval officer, and, since he probably can't give you a true factual answer (unless he has a policy letter that, once again, never filtered down), have him email Lt. Col. Pete Kalisky, National Stan/Eval, for a take on the letter. Pete can spell it out for you pretty clearly as to what National's requirements are, not just word of mouth by some people who think they know.

You can also enter it into the CAP knowledgebase, and I believe they'll actually have Pete Kalisky or one of the other Stan/Eval staff at National answer the question. If you're asking it, I bet others are too.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Al Sayre

They just revised the requirements for a GA-8 check ride, policy letter change to 60-1 should be coming out shortly...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

flyguy06

I heard there was a GA-8 in Georgia. Where is it located? I have yet to see it

vabeachsam

yeah flyguy06, all the best with that.....471CP is really in Naples, Florida.  I think it will be back on the 2nd of June and will be mostly at FFC or Macon. 

flyguy06

I see. Well, I am not in the click anyway so the best I'll ever get is to just look at it. They may let me sit in it if I am nice tothem. ;D

mdickinson

I found the info on the change in the minutes of the May 2007 National Executive Committee meeting, which recently became available in e-services.

The National Executive Committee voted to approve policy changes to CAPR 60-1
paragraphs 3-3.a. (6) and (7) (a):

For GA8 initial qualification, CAPR 60-1, para 3-3(6) was revised as follows: 

(a) Be a qualified SAR/DR mission pilot.
(b) Have a minimum of 300 hours of PIC (fixed
wing aircraft). [formerly the requirement was 500 hours]
(c) Be instrument rated. 
(d) Satisfactorily complete the on-line GA-8 course.
(e) Complete flight training and check ride recommendation from a qualified  GA-8 CAP instructor/Check pilot.
(f) Satisfactorily complete a CAPF 5 proficiency check with a qualified GA-8 Check Pilot other than the instructor pilot who completed the training.

[Removes factory-trained requirement]

[The requirement for a Commercial certificate and class II medical was deleted.]

For C182 NAV III (G1000) initial qualification, CAPR 60-1, para 3-3(7) (a) was revised
as follows:

Replace line 7 after: "from a factory trained" with: or CAP designated check pilot who
meets all the requirements as a FITS qualified flight instructor IAW the Cessna training
syllabus plus meets the following requirement:  Non factory-trained check pilots in the
C-182T NAV III must have provided a minimum of 15 hours of logbook-documented
aircraft instruction in the G1000 equipped aircraft prior to being eligible for designation
by the Wing/Region Commander as a G1000 check pilot.  [Allows avenue to become
check pilot without factory training, but with reasonable experience.]

flyguy06

So, can I take a checkride in this aircraft in another state? We dont seem to have one here in GA and I just saw one in Ft Lauderdale when I went there to visit.

mdickinson

Quote from: flyguy06 on May 29, 2007, 01:22:09 AM
So, can I take a checkride in this aircraft in another state? We dont seem to have one here

Per CAPR 60-1, you can take your check ride with a check pilot who is not in your wing, but you need permission from your wing stan/eval officer first.

But you probably knew that already, since at your last checkride, the check pilot must have reviewed CAPR 60-1 with you, as required by CAPR 60-1...

flyguy06

I havent had a from 5 since before I deployed to Iraq in 2004. Around here getting a form 5 is like pulling teeth unles you know somebody, so I just fly out of my other flying clubs. But I do want to get form 5 and back to flying CAP aircraft