Main Menu

Handheld GPS Units?

Started by JC004, May 17, 2007, 09:22:15 PM

JC004

I am looking for recommendations on a handheld GPS.  Any suggestions?

isuhawkeye

Eclipse

Garmin GPS III+

I have two - LCD grayscale screen means it sips batteries, is gentle on the eyes at night,
and it'll take a fire-hose worth of being rained on without a blink.

Connects to a PC with a cable, can d/l detail maps and output position info.

Ancient, bulletproof, and cheap on eBay.

http://tinyurl.com/2ahy3r

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Thanks.   ;)  Open to any other suggestions/pointers.

sardak

Well, once again I find myself writing a dissertation for an answer (see the mapping software thread for example).  So the short answer is:
Go to http://www.gpsinformation.net and start with the link "My First GPS for Hiking" for a good list of considerations on buying a handheld GPS.  The "New Users: Read Quick Start Info!" also has good information.  Other links will be useful, too.  This isn't my site, and I don't get any sort of referral credit, it's just one of the best on the Net for GPS info.

The newest GPS processor is the SiRF III.  Many of the newer GPS receivers are designed around this chip.  The marketing hype about how much better this chip is than previous ones seems to be true.  I've read several reports on how well receivers using this chip are at acquiring and maintaining lock on the GPS signals.  A friend just bought a Garmin with this chip and the receiver works inside his house, whereas his previous receivers wouldn't.  While you generally don't need to know GPS location inside your house, this is an indication of how well the receiver will work under tree canopy.  Tree canopy creates problems for most GPS receivers (consumer and pro grade).  Working in urban areas can also be a problem for GPS receivers, but in which the SiRF III apparently helps.  I don't own any SiRF III equipped receivers.

One of my units is a GPS III+ (and like Eclipse, bought off eBay).  It has a  positionable (rotating), removable antenna with a BNC connector, as did some other older series Garmins.  This allows optimal placement of the antenna.  Unfortunately, this design has been dropped in favor of integral antennas.  An external antenna will sometimes help, so some of the units with integral antennas have an external antenna connection, though not a BNC.

Some GPS receivers, like the Rinos and Garmin 60 series, have an obvious antenna, and are designed for the antenna to be vertical.  Others, with patch antennas aren't so obvious.  The eTrex series are designed to be held horizontally while the 76 series are designed to be held vertically.

My two most recent vintage GPS units (neither of which is the latest generation) are an eTrex Vista and GPSMap 76S.  In open terrain with good signal, and in the proper orientation, they perform equally well.

Once I get into tree cover, the accuracy of the Vista drops off and it will completely lose the satellites in places where the 76S with an external antenna attached (the Vista does not have an external antenna attachment) still has 10 to 20 feet accuracy (WAAS enabled).  However, I have been in heavy enough tree canopy  that even the 76S with external mast mounted antenna (so it's over my head) loses the satellite signals.

Per the specs and reports I've read, the new color screen units have better battery life than the older monochrome screen receivers.  None of my GPS units has a color screen.

I'm a power user, teach GPS classes and own six GPS receivers, used for work.  PM me with questions.

Mike

JC004

Lots of good info, Mike - thanks.  I've used lots of GPS units, but not in any advanced/long-term fashion, so this stuff is helpful.   :)

epound

I love my eTrex Vista CX....Nice color screen, auto-routing, weather resistant, lots of accessories, upgradeable.  Great workhorse.  I believe most of the eTrex series are very good although you may not get all of the features.
--
Erick Pound, SSgt, CAP