CAP Captain on CBS show Survivor

Started by 754837, February 19, 2016, 07:37:43 PM

On the season premiere of Survivor this week, cast member Debbie Wanner identified herself as a Captain with the Civil Air Patrol, United States Air Force Auxiliary.  She explained that she had summer & winter survival skills and had military training.  Watch the episode and make your own opinion of her representation of CAP.

ironputts

Just shoot me with that salute! I just went blank after that.....
Greg Putnam, Lt. Col., CAP

Garibaldi

Anyone with access can find her quals in e-services. I won't post them here.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

NIN

Quote from: Garibaldi on February 19, 2016, 08:15:07 PM

Are you suggesting that people use eServices for some purpose other than "For Official Use Only."

Cuz it sure sounded that way. And thats *exactly* what FOUO means.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

jeders

Two thoughts come to mind. 1, they're still making that show? 2, there are people still watching that show?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

THRAWN

Quote from: jeders on February 19, 2016, 08:31:19 PM
Two thoughts come to mind. 1, they're still making that show? 2, there are people still watching that show?

Yes to both. After Rudy came in second, it lost all credibility...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Or you could just use the Google and find out all you need to know. Here's the blurb from the CPA magazine...

http://www.capvolunteernow.com/headline-news/?cap_captain_from_pennsylvania_stars_in_survivor_kaoh_rong&show=news&newsID=21515
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Garibaldi

I am not suggesting anything. It's readily available information. I wanted to verify her claims. I found out she may or may not be telling the truth, but based on what I saw it's not readily identifiable.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: jeders on February 19, 2016, 08:31:19 PM

Never watched it in my life.

Never watched Friends, Seinfeld, ER, etc., even though during that time most of my coworkers were addicted to those shows.

The only thing I watch right now is Supergirl, and am attempting to find a Sundance series called "Deutschland '83."  I liked it when it was on a few months ago.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4445154/
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Spam

Quote (from CBS site):

"...she tells CBS that her survival skills will take her far in the competition. She stated that: I have military training in summer and winter survival, shelter building, fire making, food procurement, torture training and a superior will to survive. Plus, I'm fun too! I'm a card carrying member of the Reading Juggler's club, so I'll teach them how to juggle. (Photo: Monty Brinton /CBS Entertainment ©2016 CBS Broadcasting, Inc. All Rights. Reserved.)"

... "Torture training"? Is there a SQTR for that in PAWG?

(pulls pin, releases for comment, step back quickly)

- Spam

THRAWN

Quote from: Spam on February 19, 2016, 08:55:37 PM
Quote (from CBS site):

"...she tells CBS that her survival skills will take her far in the competition. She stated that: I have military training in summer and winter survival, shelter building, fire making, food procurement, torture training and a superior will to survive. Plus, I'm fun too! I'm a card carrying member of the Reading Juggler's club, so I'll teach them how to juggle. (Photo: Monty Brinton /CBS Entertainment ©2016 CBS Broadcasting, Inc. All Rights. Reserved.)"

- Spam

Only for the rangers. Hi-ho sliver...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Garibaldi

Quote from: THRAWN on February 19, 2016, 08:56:38 PM
Quote from: Spam on February 19, 2016, 08:55:37 PM
Quote (from CBS site):

- Spam

Only for the rangers. Hi-ho sliver...

Well, there WAS my cadet experience in the 80s....but that was before the rules against torturing initiating welcoming FNGs into the fold.

Spam

I could care less about her ES quals, and wish her luck on the competition (Go Get 'Em, girl).

But - that comment!

Given that she repeatedly aired her affiliation with USAF via its Auxiliary and stated that she's had "military... torture training", I'd be surprised if someone doesn't ask some pointed questions of CAP about how USAF is being made to look.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: NIN on February 19, 2016, 08:26:43 PM

Are you suggesting that people use eServices for some purpose other than "For Official Use Only."

Sir, I suggest you have someone at CAP helpdesk look at the query history of eServices for SQTR reporting. Start by looking at people who run queries of members not in their state.

I have a suspicion that no one is actually monitoring this at this point. It probably should be, and for that matter, there should probably be more restrictions on that tool.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on February 19, 2016, 09:33:46 PM
Quote from: NIN on February 19, 2016, 08:26:43 PM

Sir, I suggest you have someone at CAP helpdesk look at the query history of eServices for SQTR reporting. Start by looking at people who run queries of members not in their state.

I have a suspicion that no one is actually monitoring this at this point. It probably should be, and for that matter, there should probably be more restrictions on that tool.

I believe it's meant to be that way so that people who go to schools not in their wing (Hawk Mountain, NESA, etc.) can have their quals signed off right then and there. No proprietary information is available from the 101 information that I can see. No PII, no SSAN#, no address or phone number.

Now if I went ahead and posted all the information I saw, that would be a very improper use, something I could get thrown out of CAP for. I'm not saying that I'm right, but there really is nothing anyone can use for nefarious purposes. And not everyone has access to 101 information, just as not everyone has access to membership information. And I have no intention of posting or sharing that information with anyone. For all I know, I had the wrong person.

I would imagine that a lot of people have done the same thing after her pronouncement.

Holding Pattern

And when I worked for the phone company, I could pull up the records of any person, celebrity, company, etc.. If I didn't share that info, it would still have been wrong, because I wasn't authorized to be there.

An authorized use for CAPNHQ at this point IMO would be to pull a report to see how many CAP members accessed this individual's data for unofficial use.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Garibaldi on February 19, 2016, 09:40:42 PM

I believe it's meant to be that way so that people who go to schools not in their wing (Hawk Mountain, NESA, etc.) can have their quals signed off right then and there. No proprietary information is available from the 101 information that I can see. No PII, no SSAN#, no address or phone number.

http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-122/sp800-122.pdf

QuoteOrganizations should identify all PII residing in their environment.
An organization cannot properly protect PII it does not know about. This document uses a broad
definition of PII to identify as many potential sources of PII as possible (e.g., databases, shared network
drives, backup tapes, contractor sites). PII is ―any information about an individual maintained by an
agency, including (1) any information that can be used to distinguish or trace an individual's identity,
such as name, social security number, date and place of birth, mother's maiden name, or biometric
records; and (2) any other information that is linked or linkable to an individual, such as medical,
educational, financial, and employment information.‖ 6
Examples of PII include, but are not limited to:
 Name, such as full name, maiden name, mother's maiden name, or alias
 Personal identification number, such as social security number (SSN), passport number, driver's
license number, taxpayer identification number, or financial account or credit card number
 Address information, such as street address or email address
 Personal characteristics, including photographic image (especially of face or other identifying
characteristic), fingerprints, handwriting, or other biometric data (e.g., retina scan, voice signature,
facial geometry)

You might want to revisit your definition of PII.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on February 19, 2016, 09:45:03 PM
And when I worked for the phone company, I could pull up the records of any person, celebrity, company, etc.. If I didn't share that info, it would still have been wrong, because I wasn't authorized to be there.

An authorized use for CAPNHQ at this point IMO would be to pull a report to see how many CAP members accessed this individual's data for unofficial use.

We did that too when I worked for AT&T. I was young and stupid and we actually called people. Couple of them got fired for it, but the only way that AT&T had at the time to track it was if someone left notes on the account. Which they did.

Anyway, young and stupid, now old and stupid, but no PII is obtainable from the 101.

But, aside from any person making actual data entry to change anything, which I don't think they can do on just the 101, I don't see how they can track it. Oh, wait. The date the 101 card shows changes every time you view it. Whoops. Gonna be a big red flag now.

Maybe this is where the inherent flaw in the system is exposed and changed...

Luis R. Ramos

I am not sure I understand how that date change is going to help in this regard.

It was my impression this date appears only if you print the 101. It is not recorded or saved. Am I wrong?

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Holding Pattern

If it's in an auditable database, there will be an access history.