Main Menu

Seniors Who Make Lt Col

Started by JAFO78, January 30, 2016, 02:55:05 AM

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Alaric on September 26, 2016, 01:21:22 PM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on September 25, 2016, 02:16:08 AM
A butterbar shouldn't be issued just because someone passed an FBI background check and cleared Level I, which is a cakewalk for all but the eunuchs among us, and we probably help the eunuchs too much. Heck, the other day, I realized a mouthbreather somehow made major here in the Tampa Bay area, and I once saw the guy with my own two eyes FAIL AN OPEN-BOOK ICS 400 TEST. You heard me — THIS GUY COULDN'T PASS AN OPEN-BOOK TEST AND SOMEHOW WAS PROMOTED TO MAJOR IN FLORIDA WING!

So how do people get promoted, again?

If you are using the ability to pass an open book test as a measure of intelligence, I feel for you.  I am a licensed customs broker, which means that I am allowed to sign on behalf of another on the import of goods into the US.  Its a license issued by the Department of Homeland Security, it is an open book test but on average the pass rate is between 5 and 15%.

Though I'm sure that because of customs laws and the ins and outs of bureaucracy, that test is necessarily difficult. ICS 400, I'd venture, is a cakewalk by comparison, though certainly more difficult than an SLS to finish.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.