10/11 year olds in the program?

Started by xray328, December 04, 2015, 12:54:15 PM

xray328

We had a gentleman stop by our squadron last night with his 11 year old son.  He said that when he went online to request more information it asked for his sons age, and the drop down said 10-18 so he thought his 11 year old would of been old enough to join.  I just confirmed that here:

https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.CapProspects.Web/CAPProspects.aspx

I also found this which also lists 10-11 years olds in the program:

http://www.capmembers.com/file.cfm/media/blogs/documents/Stats_C091196AC47C8.pdf

The cadet super chart shows required mile times for 10 year olds as well.

I thought the official age requirement is 12 though, so how are these kids becoming members?  We don't want to turn away these prospective new members if there's a way for his son to join at 11.

Thanks in advance!

Flying Pig

Ive been out of the cadet loop for a while.... but isnt this to address school based squadrons. It used to say 12 OR in the 6th grade.  Then you ran into homeschooled kids who were 10-11 and were in, or beyond 6th grade. 

From the CAP site. 
This Q:  What are the age requirements for joining CAP?
A:  Youth aged 12-18 may join CAP as cadets and remain cadets until age 21. In special school program squadrons, sixth graders may join, even if they are under age 12. Of course, adults of any age are welcome to join CAP, too.

Garibaldi

It is 12 for non-school based units. There was a time, I believe, that CAP opened it up to younger, but they stopped that fairly quickly.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

THRAWN

Quote from: Garibaldi on December 04, 2015, 01:31:12 PM
It is 12 for non-school based units. There was a time, I believe, that CAP opened it up to younger, but they stopped that fairly quickly.

That was the worst 6 months of my life....the idea was to get more in line with the BSA and Navy League youth programs. The difference being that they have programs designed and trained for that age group, CAP did not...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023