Uniform Buying/Setup Tip Materials

Started by JC004, October 07, 2015, 12:14:10 PM

JC004

Does anyone have any locally-produced uniform acquisition/setup documents for new members? 

For example: how to select boots, what to tell your tailor (or maybe a 1-page instruction sheet to give them), how to size your service uniform, etc.?

I'm going to produce something, but would like to avoid reinventing the wheel where necessary, especially since I have a lot of projects all at once. 

39-1 is dense for someone new, and requires context in some cases. 

avguy

PM me with your email address and I'll send you my squadron's uniform guide.
Will Craig, Maj, CAP
CC
NCR-MN-042

kwe1009

Quote from: avguy on October 07, 2015, 03:19:01 PM
PM me with your email address and I'll send you my squadron's uniform guide.

I would like to see that as well.  Could you post a link to it here?  Thanks.

avguy

Here's the link to the PDF on our squadron website.  I had to check to see that we have the latest version up:  http://www.130th.org/uploads/1/6/4/7/16473626/130th_cadet_uniform_oct2015.pdf
Will Craig, Maj, CAP
CC
NCR-MN-042

winterg

Some guides like these can be handy. But, problems are created when a revision or supp to 39-1 is released and people are still using the now incorrect guide to set up a uniform.

I know that 39-1 can read like stereo instructions at times. Particularly if a member is unused to reading military style pubs. But one of the most critical skills a new member (or seasoned) can cultivate is to learn how to find the info they need in CAP regs. 

39-1 is laid out rather simply, actually. Find the uniform you are assembling. And then use the pictures and requirements to see how things go.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: avguy on October 07, 2015, 06:25:47 PM
Here's the link to the PDF on our squadron website.  I had to check to see that we have the latest version up:  http://www.130th.org/uploads/1/6/4/7/16473626/130th_cadet_uniform_oct2015.pdf

This is great! I'll probably end up stealing and reworking to adjust to our needs. R&D!

avguy

Quote from: winterg on October 07, 2015, 06:33:48 PM
But, problems are created when a revision or supp to 39-1 is released and people are still using the now incorrect guide to set up a uniform.

True.  We revise our squadron document frequently (at least 2x per year to reflect current pricing and local availability of items), and it is emailed directly to brand new cadets members & parents immediately upon their joining the squadron (attached to the new member welcome email from the CDC), so it's fresh when they need it the most.
Will Craig, Maj, CAP
CC
NCR-MN-042

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: avguy on October 07, 2015, 07:56:22 PM
Quote from: winterg on October 07, 2015, 06:33:48 PM
But, problems are created when a revision or supp to 39-1 is released and people are still using the now incorrect guide to set up a uniform.

True.  We revise our squadron document frequently (at least 2x per year to reflect current pricing and local availability of items), and it is emailed directly to brand new cadets members & parents immediately upon their joining the squadron (attached to the new member welcome email from the CDC), so it's fresh when they need it the most.

Care to share the email? We have our own, but with some recent changes, needs a bit of an adjustment.

avguy

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on October 07, 2015, 08:01:54 PM
Care to share the email? We have our own, but with some recent changes, needs a bit of an adjustment.

Cadet _________,

Welcome to CAP and to the 130th Composite Squadron!  Your CAPID is _________; you will want to memorize this number.

To access E-services, go to www.capnhq.gov.  Click on the link for "Click here to register" under 'First Time Users?'  You will need the last 4 digits of your social security number to log in.

The following pages at our squadron website will have plenty of helpful links.  I recommend going to each link to explore the information there to help you get started:

http://www.130th.org/new-member-path.html
http://www.130th.org/member-pro-tips.html

There is also a Facebook group for cadets and parents called "MN 130th Composite Squadron" where pictures and CAP info are shared.

You are assigned to Firefly Flight until you earn your first promotion.  Your Flight Commander is _________ and your Flight Sergeant is Sgt_________. Sgt __________ is assisting them as an Element Leader.
I have attached a cadet uniform guide to help you get started on assembling your uniforms.

Please contact [Flight Commander] if you have any questions.  Your parents may contact me directly if they have any questions.

Semper Vigilans!
(Always Vigilant)

/CDC/
Will Craig, Maj, CAP
CC
NCR-MN-042

Майор Хаткевич

Looks great, and gives me a few ideas for our rewrite.

This is our outdated one, with things that look like links...are actually links:

Cadet Airman Basic (C/AB)  ***NAME GOES HERE***,

Welcome to the Palwaukee Composite Squadron, Group 22, Illinois Wing, Great Lakes Region, Civil Air Patrol. (Full unit designation: GLR-IL-049)

This email is ***VERY IMPORTANT***. Please keep it for your records, as it will detail much of the information you need to begin your CAP Journey, as well as helpful links.

CAP ID Number
Your CAP ID # is ***CAPID HERE*** and is very important! Once you receive your membership card you should carry it anytime you are participating in any CAP activity.

Parent Contact Information
In order to be able to communicate critical information on short notice, please fill out our contact info survey for our records: PWK Cadet Contact Information Survey

Squadron Blog
You can find our schedule and important announcements on the blog: Palwaukee Blog andCalendar

Facebook Page
Please go to the following link:  Palwaukee Composite Squadron Page

PWK Severe Weather Meeting Status Hotline
In the event of severe weather conditions, weekly meetings may be cancelled for safety reasons. Please call this number before leaving for the meeting to make sure we are meeting that night. The information is updated by 5:00 PM on meeting nights if necessary - (847) 908-7951

New Cadet Packet and Membership Card
Your membership card and cadet training kit should arrive within one to three weeks. They will arrive separately, with the New Cadet Packet typically arriving first. However all of the information is also available online: New Cadet Packet

Setting up E-Services
E-Services Sign Up

Once you have an e-services account:  ***VERY IMPORTANT***

You will need to complete some on-line mandatory training. Completing this training as soon as possible is very important to maintaining your active cadet membership!

Operations Security Awareness Training (OpSec): Prompted once you access your e-services account.
Introduction to CAP Safety Program for New Members: Test and Reading Material
Equal Opportunity Training: Equal Opportunity Training Page
Aircraft Ground Handling Training (necessary to participate in Cadet Orientation Flights: Training Video and Quiz

Group 22 Email address
You will receive information for a Group 22 e-mail account within the next couple of days.  You should use this for all PWK communications. Once you have set up your new e-mail on the Group 22 e-mail server please let me know. We want to send all CAP related information to your group 22 e-mail account in the future.  You should also set your e-services personal information e-mail address to your Group 22 e-mail address.  You should be regularly checking for new e-mails on a daily basis.

Working On Your First Achievement
As a new cadet, your grade is Cadet Airman Basic. 

For a complete overview of requirements and steps for your CAP cadet career, please visit this page: Stripes to Diamonds

Once you've completed your mandatory training,the Cadet Physical Fitness Test, and introductory Character Development class on the CAP Core Values (done at the unit), Leadership and Drill tests (more information below) you will be all set for your first promotion!

For the first achievement, please visit the Maj Gen John F. Curry Achievement Page

You need to study Chapter 1 of the Learn to Lead Volume 1 book.
The test is located on e-services: Cadet Testing Page

There will also be a drill test, based on the information in the Drill & Ceremony Practical Tests

To request your drill test, when you are ready, please use the following PWK Testing Request Form

You will be instructed in drill at the unit by your cadet staff; however you can begin to familiarize yourself with drill on the Drill & Ceremonies Page.

The CAP Cadet Oath
You need to learn and be able to recite the Cadet Oath from memory before every promotion is finalized. This is your contract with CAP. 

"I pledge to serve faithfully in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program and that I will attend meetings regularly, participate actively in unit activities, obey my officers, wear my uniform properly and advance my education and training rapidly to prepare myself to be of service to my community, state and nation."

Additional Information
Help For New Cadets will include a lot of the information already listed here, but will also include helpful study aids, support info in case new cadet materials don't arrive, how to apply for the free cadet uniform, and what supplies to order for the uniforms on the official supplier website - Vanguardmil.com.

Respect On Display Pamphlet

National Cadet Blog

If you have questions please feel free to ask.

All the Best and Welcome Aboard!

JC004

Some good examples here.  CAP's onboarding system, if you can call it that, is disjointed, confusing, and overwhelming to new people.  Uniforms have a learning curve for people with no military, law enforcement, etc.-type background. 

There are things that simply are not covered by 39-1, or require context to understand (example: people may not get what it means when it says service uniform fabrics must be the same - that is, not mixing 100% polyester with poly/wool uniform items). 

It would help if people could easily have some tips in one place (like using edge dressing for shoes/boots, or a tip to look specifically for "duty boots").

It would also help if they could have an easily-printed single-page description to take with them to a tailor, or when they buy their uniform in a store.