Communications Quick Reference (Pocket) Cards

Started by JC004, August 08, 2015, 08:53:28 AM

JC004

I used to have a set of Comm Quick Reference cards that I made up.  They were printable on Avery standard cards.  I included them with mission kits and such.

They've become out of date and I lost the original computer file. 

I'd like to make up a new set, and make them available for download.

Does anyone have any such cards already done? 

Capt Thompson

Unfortunately not, but as I'm working on MRO right now, if you do come up with a set I would greatly appreciate the share.

Right now I have a short list of call signs and frequencies hand written in the space on the back of my 101, in the blank space under the quals so I always have that, but there isn't much room there.

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

JC004

Last night, I was considering whether to include things like CUL reference material.

In my previous version, I'd mostly just included pocket-size, abbreviated radio procedures in a quick-reference format.

I could include MRO/CUL material, or make a separate set of cards.... 

Brad

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on August 09, 2015, 01:16:05 AM
Unfortunately not, but as I'm working on MRO right now, if you do come up with a set I would greatly appreciate the share.

Right now I have a short list of call signs and frequencies hand written in the space on the back of my 101, in the blank space under the quals so I always have that, but there isn't much room there.

Frequencies, or designators? I would highly advise against listing any actual frequencies on your 101 card, ref CAPR 100-1:

Quote1-9. Protection of Radio Frequency Information. The radio frequency assignments provided by the USAF are sensitive information and require protection from unauthorized release. They are designated as UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY (U//FOUO).

a. Release of Air Force Frequencies. Any CAP member who has completed OPSEC training, with a reasonable need to know, may be provided actual VHF-FM and HF operating frequencies; however, most CAP members may not need to know the actual frequencies. In most cases, frequency designators or radio channel numbers are sufficient and make the communications system more user friendly. CAP members shall not release or comment on CAP radio frequencies to any person, business or organization where there is not a legitimate need to know. Plans, instructions and other documents containing frequencies shall not be left unattended in non-secure locations, released to the general public, or made available to unauthorized viewing via the World Wide Web or by any other means. CAP-USAF approval is required for release of frequencies to outside agencies. Within CAP, frequencies may only be released to members who have a legitimate need to know, have taken the on-line OPSEC training and have agreed to protect CAP frequency information. Where agencies, businesses or individuals outside of CAP have a legitimate need to know, permission may be requested by an e-mail, containing full justification, sent to: dok@capnhq.gov. In contingency situations, other national level offices such as the National Operations Center (NOC) may coordinate directly with CAP-USAF.

b. Marking of Documents. All documents containing frequencies will be marked "UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY" at the top and bottom of each page. The following statement will be clearly displayed on the front page of any document containing FOUO information: "UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY (U//FOUO) Frequency information contained in this document is designated by the Department of
Defense (DoD) as For Official Use Only. CAP-USAF approval, obtained through NHQ, is required for release of frequencies."

Your 101 card is a document, so you would be under the requirement to have the U//FOUO statement on it, plus the document is potentially unsecured, such as if you leave it with the MSA conducting sign-ins to process and then return to you. You can't account for it at that time, which is an OPSEC concern.

That said, in terms of a quick-reference card for communications, it all comes down to a matter of personal preference and what you the MRO/CUL have come to identify what you need to reference vs. what you have committed to memory.

I would potentially recommend a list of local repeater designators, your HF designators, wing net schedules, and callsigns for critical staff members of your wing/group/squadron. For what it's worth, everything except the local callsign directory can already be found online on the NTC website.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Capt Thompson

Quote from: Brad on August 09, 2015, 11:14:42 AM

Frequencies, or designators?

Sorry if I chose the wrong term, like I said just getting started with comms. The preset location on the radio for the repeater channel and the 3 or 4 channels we use most (Tac 1, Guard 1 etc.) not the actual frequencies, since those can't be manually dialed into any of our radios.

Quote from: JC004 on August 09, 2015, 03:03:11 AM
Last night, I was considering whether to include things like CUL reference material.

In my previous version, I'd mostly just included pocket-size, abbreviated radio procedures in a quick-reference format.

I could include MRO/CUL material, or make a separate set of cards.... 

Include everything you think would be helpful, and a member could pick and choose which cards they print depending on their needs.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

BFreemanMA

Commonly used PROWORDS and maybe a sample script for common mission communication exchanges?

Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

Brad

Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

THRAWN

This card is going to be 50 pages long and have attachments and diagrams by the time it's done...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

JC004

One thing I always liked about them was during down time, I'd see folks (cadets in particular) flipping through them and getting a chance to refresh their knowledge. 

Much better than cadets chewing on the wires because they're bored... 

Fubar

Quote from: THRAWN on August 10, 2015, 08:19:13 PM
This card is going to be 50 pages long and have attachments and diagrams by the time it's done...

With lines and circles and a paragraph on the back of each one...

RRLE

"circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each  one was ..."

THRAWN

Quote from: RRLE on August 13, 2015, 10:59:31 AM
"circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each  one was ..."

Thank you Officer Opie...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023