Main Menu

The Leatherman Tread

Started by Eclipse, January 23, 2015, 03:38:35 AM

Eclipse

The Leatherman Tread, available Fall 2015, purported to be TSA safe.

http://www.leatherman.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-leatherman-Site/en_US/Blog-ShowPost/?p=705

The Leatherman Tread: 25 tools you wear on your wrist

If I can put something like a Moto 360 on it, I might start wearing a watch again...

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Interesting.

Didn't you wear a watch on Saturday?

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 23, 2015, 03:41:08 AM
Interesting.

Sadly no, my much beloved Navihawk sits idle in my dresser - can't remember when I wore it last,
and before that time, whenever it was, it had sat so long the battery was dead.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2015, 04:07:24 AM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 23, 2015, 03:41:08 AM
Interesting.

Sadly no, my much beloved Navihawk sits idle in my dresser - can't remember when I wore it last,
and before that time, whenever it was, it had sat so long the battery was dead.

It's not a problem to swap out the battery. As "redundant" as watches are...sometimes it is easier to look at my wrist, than pull a phone out.

LTCinSWR

This has to be the ultimate (for now) gadget lover's dream.
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters

C/Cool

This is awesome! I am assuming it would beat carrying around a multi-tool, which I do all the time. They just have to incorporate a knife blade into it  >:D
I'm sorry, did the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours?

Eclipse

Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 04:28:38 PM
This is awesome! I am assuming it would beat carrying around a multi-tool, which I do all the time. They just have to incorporate a knife blade into it  >:D

There is a "cutting hook" designed for opening boxes, and presumably TSA-friendly.

"That Others May Zoom"

C/Cool

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2015, 04:31:33 PM

There is a "cutting hook" designed for opening boxes, and presumably TSA-friendly.

I guess it doesn't really need  one. I usually have over 2 knives on my person at all times so... Pretty cool idea!

Garibaldi

Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 04:33:40 PM

I guess it doesn't really need  one. I usually have over 2 knives on my person at all times so... Pretty cool idea!

More than 2? Really?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

C/Cool

Quote from: Garibaldi on January 23, 2015, 04:34:53 PM

More than 2? Really?

Well, I have a razor blade knife that I use daily. I have a regular pocket knife with 5" blade for other stuff like cutting apples... I am looking to buy this one  It would be for personal use only cause it is out of CAP regs. :( I have a few more that I use maybe once a week but they usually sit around.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/LEATHERNECK.20_SERIES/LEATHERNECK_SERIES.aspx

Eclipse

Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 04:39:14 PMI have a regular pocket knife with 5" blade for other stuff like cutting apples...

How big are these apples?

"That Others May Zoom"

C/Cool

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2015, 04:53:15 PM
Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 04:39:14 PMI have a regular pocket knife with 5" blade for other stuff like cutting apples...

One can never have too much blade... Most of the time anyway. It can also double as a self defense tool :D Just in case. Between me and my brother we have about 8 knives on a regular day.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 04:55:37 PM

One can never have too much blade... Most of the time anyway. It can also double as a self defense tool :D Just in case. Between me and my brother we have about 8 knives on a regular day.

Sounds like a lot of tackykewl, and not a lot of use. 5" fixed? Folded? Is that even legal? I had a 3.5-3.75" that I stopped carrying due to size.

I carry this: SOG Specialty Knives & Tools FF25-CP Escape Knife with Part-Serrated Folding 3.4-Inch Steel Blade and Aluminum Black Handle, Hardcase Black Finish https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073H2P2O/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_6oOWub00HZXE2

The actual blade is just under 3", not 3.4. Been holding up good, much better than the S&W Border Guard I used to lug around.

C/Cool

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 23, 2015, 05:27:05 PM
Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 04:55:37 PM

Sounds like a lot of tackykewl, and not a lot of use. 5" fixed? Folded? Is that even legal? I had a 3.5-3.75" that I stopped carrying due to size.

I carry this: SOG Specialty Knives & Tools FF25-CP Escape Knife with Part-Serrated Folding 3.4-Inch Steel Blade and Aluminum Black Handle, Hardcase Black Finish https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073H2P2O/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_6oOWub00HZXE2

The actual blade is just under 3", not 3.4. Been holding up good, much better than the S&W Border Guard I used to lug around.

I do use it quite often. I work a farm job so I really need one  to use all the time. 5" fixed w/sheath. I think the regs are 6" blade and 11" overall for SAR. I can't find anything for weekly meetings so I just wear it just like every other day. That is a really good knife. A couple of my friends carry that one and they really like it.

lordmonar

Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 04:39:14 PMI am looking to buy this one  It would be for personal use only cause it is out of CAP regs. :( I have a few more that I use maybe once a week but they usually sit around.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/LEATHERNECK.20_SERIES/LEATHERNECK_SERIES.aspx
Which reg would that be?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

C/Cool

Restrictions on Knives: You may only wear a sheath knife if authorized by your team leader. Sheath knives cannot have a blade longer than 6" or a total length of greater than 11". The sheath must adequately secure the knife and protect the wearer from the blade. If authorized, sheath knives will be worn only on the pistol belt or carried inside the pack. The following knife types are not authorized: boot knives, butterfly knives, switch blades, double edged knives, "Rambo" style survival knives, or knives with retracting sheaths. Machetes or hatchets can only be carried by senior members when needed for that specific sortie. No knives may be visible when the member is performing crash sight surveillance duty.

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/680/~/policy-on-knives-at-cap-meetings-and-during-cap-emergency-services-missions

BHartman007

That is...that is that right there...is what that is.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

dwb

Wow, a Leatherman watch. That thing... looks like it would cut my wrist in a hundred different places.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on January 23, 2015, 06:03:12 PM
Which reg would that be?

Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 06:20:06 PM
  Restrictions on Knives: You may only wear a sheath knife if authorized by your team leader. Sheath knives cannot have a blade longer than 6" or a total length of greater than 11". The sheath must adequately secure the knife and protect the wearer from the blade. If authorized, sheath knives will be worn only on the pistol belt or carried inside the pack. The following knife types are not authorized: boot knives, butterfly knives, switch blades, double edged knives, "Rambo" style survival knives, or knives with retracting sheaths. Machetes or hatchets can only be carried by senior members when needed for that specific sortie. No knives may be visible when the member is performing crash sight surveillance duty.

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/680/~/policy-on-knives-at-cap-meetings-and-during-cap-emergency-services-missions

You know that's a trick question, right?

"That Others May Zoom"

C/Cool

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2015, 09:13:36 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on January 23, 2015, 06:03:12 PM
Which reg would that be?

Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 06:20:06 PM

You know that's a trick question, right?
I figured it was but I went ahead and gave him what I had. Works for me.

Eclipse

The GUDFT is not a reg, and regardless it only governs GTMs and UDFTs during ES.

There is no current all-encompassing regulation with regards to members possessing knives,
other then the very generic prohibition regard "dangerous weapons" - it's arguable
that a knife with a 5" blade is a "dangerous weapon", few would argue that it has any use
or propriety while in CAP uniform during normal meetings and other similar activities.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Each state have different laws regarding knives. GTLs should be familiar with those laws which apply in their state and make sure their team members are in compliance.

C/Cool

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2015, 09:23:38 PM
The GUDFT is not a reg, and regardless it only governs GTMs and UDFTs during ES.

There is no current all-encompassing regulation with regards to members possessing knives,
other then the very generic prohibition regard "dangerous weapons" - it's arguable
that a knife with a 5" blade is a "dangerous weapon", few would argue that it has any use
or propriety while in CAP uniform during normal meetings and other similar activities.

I realize it is not a reg though I may have said reg earlier. It is just what I found and about all I could find on knife regulations. I would happily discontinue wear of my "dangerous weapons" if someone at my local squadron would say something. I have asked all my senior members including the Squadron Commander and they all said wearing it was not a problem.

Eclipse

Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 09:29:30 PMI have asked all my senior members including the Squadron Commander and they all said wearing it was not a problem.

Then it's not a problem...

"That Others May Zoom"

C/Cool

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2015, 09:41:16 PM
Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 09:29:30 PMI have asked all my senior members including the Squadron Commander and they all said wearing it was not a problem.

I am not sure where we started misunderstanding each other... I was just having friendly talk about cool gadgets and knives then we got sidetracked about regs again. Seems to happen pretty often  ::)

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2015, 09:41:16 PM

+1 

Eclipse

Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 09:51:14 PM
I am not sure where we started misunderstanding each other... I was just having friendly talk about cool gadgets and knives then we got sidetracked about regs again. Seems to happen pretty often

You felt it was important that we all know you carry at least two knives on you most days, sometimes more, and
one of them has a 5-inch blade.

That's generally a red flag when anyone is carrying something that big, especially in an urban area, but more so when it's a cadet.
If you need it to castrate cows or clear the back 40 or whatever, but "a problem" or not, discretion in leaving it at home
for meeting nights is probably a good suggestion.  Perhaps a small, inexpensive folder for those nights when you fear ninjas after PT.

But again, there's no specific prohibition.

"That Others May Zoom"

C/Cool

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2015, 09:58:26 PM
I am not sure where we started misunderstanding each other... I was just having friendly talk about cool gadgets and knives then we got sidetracked about regs again. Seems to happen pretty often

You felt it was important that we all know you carry at least two knives on you most days, sometimes more, and

That's generally a red flag when anyone is carrying something that big, especially in an urban area, but more so when it's a cadet.
If you need it to castrate cows or clear the back 40 or whatever, but "a problem" or not, discretion in leaving it at home
for meeting nights is probably a good suggestion.  Perhaps a small, inexpensive folder for those nights when you fear ninjas after PT.

We usually use razor blades to do the castrating but... I see your point.  I might need something a little larger for the ninjas. So lets go back to the original topic now that we have cleared this up.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 10:02:59 PM

We usually use razor blades to do the castrating but... I see your point.  I might need something a little larger for the ninjas. So lets go back to the original topic now that we have cleared this up.

Have we?

And why do you need "over 2 knives" [sic] on you "at all times"?

C/Cool

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 23, 2015, 10:09:11 PM

Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 10:02:59 PM

Have we?

And why do you need "over 2 knives" [sic] on you "at all times"?

Yes we have. One for sharpness for cutting thins like haybale twine. And the other for larger things. Maybe one or two more for show.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

How does school feel about it?

BHartman007

Four knives is light carry for some guys I know. Why? Cause they like them, and like to play with them. More that two is excess weight to me, and I never even have that many blades unless I have a multi tool.

The legal limit in Texas (where I am, I don't know where cool is from) is 5 1/4". I've always thought it weird that the state trusts me to carry a handgun, but not a 5 1/2" knife.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

lordmonar

Because we have an NRA and not a NKA.

RiverAux

I wonder -- wouldn't the wear of a sheath knife on the uniform need to be covered in the uniform regulation? 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on January 23, 2015, 10:40:14 PM
I wonder -- wouldn't the wear of a sheath knife on the uniform need to be covered in the uniform regulation?

You could make the argument, especially with blues.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Knives would fall under items required for emergency services or safe operations, which is covered in CAPM 39-1, Para. 9.5.

abdsp51

Back to the original topic I'm digging this thing.  I always had a Leatherman or Multi-Tool on my duty belt as a cop.  I have one strapped to my range back right now and an original Multi-Tool sitting in storage. 

If this is as really as TSA friendly hell I'm sold.  I like the concept and idea, but looking at the price tag. I don't like that too much.

RRLE

Quote from: BHartman007 on January 23, 2015, 10:24:08 PMThe legal limit in Texas (where I am, I don't know where cool is from) is 5 1/4".

Florida has no legal limit on sheath knives that are not otherwise concealed. The "rub" comes in when you have to deal with pocket knives. The statutes just reference "common pocket knives". Court decisions have set the limit on a closed "common pocket knife" at four inches for the single-sided blade. Court cases have also held that pocket knives with too many "gadgets", ie serrated blades, notches in the blade etc, take it out of the realm of "common pocket knife". It then becomes a matter for the jury to decide if the knife is a "common pocket knife" or not. There is a good chance that the common close quarters folding combat knife would not be considered a common pocket knife in Florida.

CAP regs will not help you a bit if you get in trouble with the concealed weapons laws of your state. You had better know them before you carry.

Is there a price on the item that is the subject of this thread?

abdsp51

Cost is $100-200 for the bracelet type and $500-600 for the watch type.  I am not much of an ES person by any means but this has potential there as well as for LE and the military.