Main Menu

Recruiting prior military

Started by Walkman, December 03, 2014, 03:40:08 AM

Walkman

I'm working on a recruiting plan for 2015 specifically to build the SM side of our unit. One tactic I'm thinking about is going to some of the local VFW & American Legion posts and giving a speech about how we are and what we do and asking if anyone is interested in joining the squadron.

I'm very comfortable talking with cadets and their parents about CAP and have most of my spiel down pretty well. Speaking to this group would be a new thing for and I want to hit the right tone and make sure I cover the correct points for this audience.

I'd like some feedback, especially from those who are prior/current RM, about what things would be best to say, what topics or words to avoid, etc...

Eclipse

I haven't seen much come out of recruiting at those orgs,
mainly because they already belong to a volunteer group.

Some are happy to write a check, and invite cadets to march in parades,
but not too many looking to join.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Tried it once to no effect.  Maybe things have changed due to the recent wars, but the demographics in VFW circa 2001-2 were skewed older than CAP senior members are. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

When I have encountered VFW/Legion members and have been in uniform or identified myself as a member of CAP, I have got few, but usually predictable, answers:

1. "I remember you guys from WWII.  I didn't know you still existed."
2. "I used to see CAP on bases where I was stationed.  Keep up the good work."
3. "You guys are like the Air Force Reserve except you don't get paid, right?"

I've had no luck with getting VFW/Legion members interested, though overwhelmingly they have been complimentary of CAP.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on December 03, 2014, 04:26:58 AM
I haven't seen much come out of recruiting at those orgs,
mainly because they already belong to a volunteer group.

Some are happy to write a check, and invite cadets to march in parades,
but not too many looking to join.

+1.

JacobAnn

Quote from: Walkman on December 03, 2014, 03:40:08 AMI'm working on a recruiting plan for 2015 specifically to build the SM side of our unit. One tactic I'm thinking about is going to some of the local VFW & American Legion posts and giving a speech about how we are and what we do and asking if anyone is interested in joining the squadron.

I feel this is very worthwhile.  My experience is these organizations are always anxious to have presentations made at their meetings and a presentation by a group that at least has a military affiliation would be more interesting than some others they have.  If nothing else it adds to CAP's exposure.  A VFW member might say CAP would never be for him but he might have a son, daughter or grandchild who would be a prime candidate.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Flying Pig

Same here.... usually they are already volunteering at the level they want... hanging with like minded people without ANY of the hassle, uniforms or paperwork.  That being said, heck, even if you get one its a success.  And if nothing else, get the word out and tighten up your public speaking skills and refine your presentation on a crowd that wont crucify you if it doesn't go perfect.

Pylon

Consider talking to the post commander or equivalent first and get a sense for their membership.  Depending on the group, you might have better luck pitching a partnership for parades or events to their leadership, or giving your pitch and speech about the great things CAP does but at the end asking for a donation to support CP/ES/AE instead of pitching membership.

In terms of hitting up veterans, find out where/how you can reach out to local veterans who are recently getting out and coming home to your area: servicemembers who have been out of the service for 0 to 6 years might be a particularly rich recruiting demographic.  Just a quick brainstorm: SM recruiting flyers aimed at prior service members might go over well in places like your local VA, local veterans services orgs and non-profits, etc.  Talk to local buddies who are recent vets and find out if there are places/ways or even local online groups/forums/FB pages for area vets where you can reach out to that demographic.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: JacobAnn on December 03, 2014, 10:07:47 AMI feel this is very worthwhile.  My experience is these organizations are always anxious to have presentations made at their meetings and a presentation...

There are many groups that need to fill time at meetings and will accept a request by CAP to speak to the membership,
that doesn't make them a good recruiting source.

Certainly units should be in contact with these organizations as a matter of course, but they also need to be selective
about their time.

If you're looking for general awareness, you'd probably be better off at the library or city hall - then you can invite
these orgs, but not focus on them.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

While everyone is says "it's probably not a good recruiting source" they may be right......but any marketer will tell you....if you are not advertising then you are not selling.

So...by all means go to these groups and tell them about CAP....if you get one person out of 100 VFW members.....that's on par for an airshow recruiting booth.

So....do it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

LSThiker

While I think tbis thread has focused mainly on senior members, remember those same people may have children or grandchildren, which might be interested in joining.

You can either use a lot of your own time by individually going to these organizations, which will assure a large group of people will be there. Or you can minimize your time by inviting them, which may get a small attendance and/or a number of "thanks, but no".

Walkman

Good things to think about here.

Any advice on how to frame a presentation to this audience?

lordmonar

Quote from: Walkman on December 03, 2014, 05:29:44 PM

This is CAP.....this is what WE HERE AT THIS UNIT do.....this is what we need to do our mission.

Be specific in your needs....don't just say we need more people.  Say you need people who know about logistics, or drill, or outdoors type things.   It is a better sell.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

GroundHawg

I will tell you what worked for me/us. We hung up flyers at the local VA hospital and any associated VA CBOCs (community based outpatient clinics). Some VA centers have a specific OEF/OIF Clinic so we hit the one in our area up as well. Also, when we would go in, we would talk to the social workers. Many vets, specifically the younger types, want to continue to serve, but are injured, have families etc... and BS'ing at the local VFW/Legion hall drinking cheap beer does not fill that desire. The VA social workers when talking with them would suggest looking at a program such as ours or the USCG Auxiliary. We got 17 new members this way since we started early this year.

RiverAux

Quote from: GroundHawg on December 03, 2014, 11:01:29 PM
I will tell you what worked for me/us. We hung up flyers at the local VA hospital and any associated VA CBOCs (community based outpatient clinics). Some VA centers have a specific OEF/OIF Clinic so we hit the one in our area up as well. Also, when we would go in, we would talk to the social workers. Many vets, specifically the younger types, want to continue to serve, but are injured, have families etc... and BS'ing at the local VFW/Legion hall drinking cheap beer does not fill that desire. The VA social workers when talking with them would suggest looking at a program such as ours or the USCG Auxiliary. We got 17 new members this way since we started early this year.

Wow, now that is interesting. 
Would you say that most of those that joined came from the flyers or from the social workers? 

LSThiker

I am curious how many were retained?  In addition, how many of them had false impressions of "active duty" when they walked in the door.

Otherwise, that is a smart idea.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: LSThiker on December 03, 2014, 11:51:12 PM
I am curious how many were retained?  In addition, how many of them had false impressions of "active duty" when they walked in the door.

Why would they get that impression?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Quote from: lordmonar on December 03, 2014, 05:58:14 PM
Quote from: Walkman on December 03, 2014, 05:29:44 PM

This is CAP.....this is what WE HERE AT THIS UNIT do.....this is what we need to do our mission.

Be specific in your needs....don't just say we need more people.  Say you need people who know about logistics, or drill, or outdoors type things.   It is a better sell.

^ best answer.

I am a Veteran and flying and ES brought me in. CP and AE kept me in.  8)

Private Investigator

Of the 17, how many renewed for a second year? Who will be around for a 3rd year? We had a former soldier who was pleased with his 2nd Lt after six months as deputy asistant supplyman in the Unit. All along we encouraged him to take SLS and do what he needed in professional development. At 1 1/2 years he wanted 1st Lt for his 92% attendance record but he did not have a Tech rating so he was done after two years.  ::) 

Private Investigator

Quote from: CyBorg on December 04, 2014, 01:55:49 AM

Really? Red Dawn scenario and CAP protocol in place. Chinese take out active duty forces, Koreans take out reserve forces and Russians invade only to be resisted by auxiliary forces.  ;)

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Private Investigator on December 04, 2014, 01:03:52 PM
We had a former soldier who was pleased with his 2nd Lt after six months as deputy asistant supplyman in the Unit. All along we encouraged him to take SLS and do what he needed in professional development. At 1 1/2 years he wanted 1st Lt for his 92% attendance record but he did not have a Tech rating so he was done after two years.  ::)

That's why it's so important that expectations be clear and realistic from day one.

LSThiker

For some Soldiers, the unit is rigid and kept to a high standard.  CAP is, for the most part, fairly relaxed.  As a result, a person possibly looking at joining CAP may have a false preconception that CAP would be the same.  This goes back to the argument of rank vs grade and how we can have Lt Col coffee servers as assistants to that 2d Lt.  Ultimately, this can be a hard change for some.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: LSThiker on December 04, 2014, 02:47:15 PM

For some Soldiers, the unit is rigid and kept to a high standard.  CAP is, for the most part, fairly relaxed.  As a result, a person possibly looking at joining CAP may have a false preconception that CAP would be the same.  This goes back to the argument of rank vs grade and how we can have Lt Col coffee servers as assistants to that 2d Lt.  Ultimately, this can be a hard change for some.

Why the 3 meeting rules and membership boards are so important!

LSThiker

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on December 04, 2014, 03:47:59 PM
Why the 3 meeting rules and membership boards are so important!

Correct, but not error proof methods. 

DoubleSecret

Quote from: Private Investigator on December 04, 2014, 01:18:19 PM

Really? Red Dawn scenario and CAP protocol in place. Chinese take out active duty forces, Koreans take out reserve forces and Russians invade only to be resisted by auxiliary forces.  ;)

Only the safety-current ones.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Private Investigator on December 04, 2014, 01:18:19 PM

But we have distinctive uniforms! >:D
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

GroundHawg

Since not all of them joined my squadron, Im not 100% sure of the retention rate. Most if not all of the veterans who joined were referrals from the VA social worker. Most were between the ages of 22-30, were combat veterans that had been medically discharged. We got one older SFC and his two sons, and we did have one USN RP2 that was given the choice of discharge or re-rate and she bailed. She has been an amazing addition to the program btw. Im praying that we get about 75 or higher rejoin percentage.

Im going to push this HARD next year. There are seven CBOCs in the area, and only one social worker pushing us. She likes to send people to us as she says she thinks it seems to help their transition back into civilian life a little easier. If we could get ALL of the local social workers at the main clinic, the OEF/OIF clinic, and all the CBOCs on board, it might be a flood of experienced, motivated, talent into our local squadrons. Time will tell.

RiverAux

Even with standard CAP retention rates, it is still better than most CAP units do in recruiting ins such a short period of time. 

sarmed1

This is pretty much the same reality check and re-adjustment issue I would have with prior army folk that came to the AF reserve.  They too survived.

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Private Investigator

Quote from: sarmed1 on December 06, 2014, 02:22:06 PM

This is pretty much the same reality check and re-adjustment issue I would have with prior army folk that came to the AF reserve.  They too survived.

MK

That is why former soldiers, sailors or airmen who join the Marines have to go to a USMC Boot Camp no matter how much prior service they have.  8)

sarmed1

Apparently the Army has the same requirement.  A friend of mine went blue to green and had to go thru basic....as an E-7.
MK

Private Investigator

Quote from: sarmed1 on December 07, 2014, 03:26:36 AM
Apparently the Army has the same requirement.  A friend of mine went blue to green and had to go thru basic....as an E-7.
MK

At E-7 I would be thinking retirement but I am sure they are thinking E-9 and another ten years.  8)

MSG Mac

MK

I would think it's more of an orientation to familiarize the former AF with how things are done in the Army.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

The CyBorg is destroyed

MK

The entire BCT course?

Of course, I remember back right after 9/11, when the services were literally scraping the bottom of the barrel for personnel, a long-retired Chief Warrant Officer 3 (I think) got recalled AND had to go through Fort Benning again...and this guy was in his 60s.

I remember the interview with his Drill Sergeant.  This DS was understandably perplexed.  He said, "I don't know what to do with this man...he shouldn't be here, and no way can I treat him like a new recruit since I have to salute him."

I don't know how that ever turned out.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

sarmed1

It apparently has to do with the fact that the only way the army can give you the basic combat training qualification is go thru basic training.  He said he just pretty much hung in the back most of the time, he didnt cause waves and they didnt mess with  him.  He actually outranked every DS except the platoon Sgt.

mk

Flying Pig

When I went from the Marines to the Army, I just got some uniforms and my Sgt rank issued and BAAM!  I was a "soldier"   :clap:  Doing the whole MEPS thing as a Sgt was fun to. 

LSThiker

MK

The Army only will accept BCT from the Army or the USMC.  Even then, if the Enlisted Soldier has had a break in service greater than 3 years, regardless of rank, he/she must complete basic training again (TRADOC 350-6).

Yes, there have been E-7s that had to go through BCT again.  In addition, Soldiers with CIBs and multiple combat tours. 

Flying Pig

Quote from: LSThiker on December 08, 2014, 03:50:04 PM
MK

The Army only will accept BCT from the Army or the USMC.  Even then, if the Enlisted Soldier has had a break in service greater than 3 years, regardless of rank, he/she must complete basic training again (TRADOC 350-6).

Yes, there have been E-7s that had to go through BCT again.  In addition, Soldiers with CIBs and multiple combat tours.

I switched right over with about a 1 week gap in service.  However..... I did graduate USMC Boot Camp and attended USMC Infantry School with a prior Army Sgt who had about 3 rows of ribbons, 1 service stripe and a set of jump wings and a SCUBA badge :)  He had been in the 82nd and was a tabbed Ranger. I don't believe he ever served in a Batt.   He joined the Marines with the goal of getting in to Force Recon.  Don't know if he ever made it.  He graduated Infantry School as a PFC right along with the rest of us nasties.  He was a loud mouth who was always challenging the Infantry School instructors and the usual line out of his face was "well, in the Army...."  Marine Corps Infantry School is not the place to drop the "Well in the Army...." line in an attempt to gain favor.   He would have been much better off just sliding through unnoticed or just excelling.  Instead he seemed much more concerned with making sure everyone saw his Wings and his Bubble.  He made a particular spectacle out of himself when he insisted he be allowed to wear the gold Naval Parachutist Wings when an instructor saw him at the PX buying a set..... for those you need 10 jumps on jump status, with a Navy or Marine Corps Unit.  A concept he had issue accepting.   Fun story to tell.  Dude would have probably been a shoe in for Recon.  If anything kept him out, it was probably that gigantic hole in his face. 

GroundHawg

Getting a scuba slot at the 82nd is [darn] near impossible, it isnt easy in Battalion for that matter.  He had to be 82nd LRS or maybe he was a 12D? Anyway, Im sorry he left that impression on you of my beloved 82nd.
I served in Yuma with some ANGLICO guys, and other than the usual interservice crap talking, they were an excellent resource to have around. I ended up getting to go to a EWTGPAC course, and I shut my hole and took my punishment for not being a Marine like a champ. Guess not everyone is as smart as me?  :D

Flying Pig

From what I recall from 1993... I think he was actually a salvage diver or something like that and somehow ended up with the 82nd. We talked briefly because my grandfather was with the 82nd throughout the duration of WWII and my uncle was with the 82nd for the majority of his 25yr career.  I don't know that he was a full blown paratrooper type. Maybe even an engineer type possibly?   During Infantry School he wore his Ranger tab under his pocket flap of his cammies.   Thats how the Marines wore their ranger tabs since the tab patch isnt an authorized uniform item.  Why this dude punched out of what seemed like a decent Army career is beyond me.  He never wore his stuff in boot camp obviously.  Graduation day was the first time anyone saw his chest candy.  There was never an opportunity to go to the PX and buy ribbons or badges, so If I remember correctly someone mailed him his rack and his badges before graduation.  Im sure those DIs and Infantry instructors grilled him like a chicken breast on every piece  ;D

All in all, the guy was solid.  PT was a joke for him even by Marine standards.  The humps were nothing.  When we did land nav at SOI he was always the first guy done.  I think he just had issues with suddenly being a nobody.  Curious if he somehow ended up blackballed out of the SF world somehow.  I don't know why he wouldnt have stayed in and done Army SF.

Shuman 14

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 08, 2014, 03:40:56 PM
When I went from the Marines to the Army, I just got some uniforms and my Sgt rank issued and BAAM!  I was a "soldier"   :clap:  Doing the whole MEPS thing as a Sgt was fun to.

About the same here, I didn't have to do Basic Combat Training, just had to do the MOS school portion.  :-\
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Flying Pig

I went from infantry to infantry..... so not much changed.  Well, a lot changed but nothing a school would have taught me  >:D