Main Menu

Recruiting prior military

Started by Walkman, December 03, 2014, 03:40:08 AM

Walkman

I'm working on a recruiting plan for 2015 specifically to build the SM side of our unit. One tactic I'm thinking about is going to some of the local VFW & American Legion posts and giving a speech about how we are and what we do and asking if anyone is interested in joining the squadron.

I'm very comfortable talking with cadets and their parents about CAP and have most of my spiel down pretty well. Speaking to this group would be a new thing for and I want to hit the right tone and make sure I cover the correct points for this audience.

I'd like some feedback, especially from those who are prior/current RM, about what things would be best to say, what topics or words to avoid, etc...

Eclipse

I haven't seen much come out of recruiting at those orgs,
mainly because they already belong to a volunteer group.

Some are happy to write a check, and invite cadets to march in parades,
but not too many looking to join.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Tried it once to no effect.  Maybe things have changed due to the recent wars, but the demographics in VFW circa 2001-2 were skewed older than CAP senior members are. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

When I have encountered VFW/Legion members and have been in uniform or identified myself as a member of CAP, I have got few, but usually predictable, answers:

1. "I remember you guys from WWII.  I didn't know you still existed."
2. "I used to see CAP on bases where I was stationed.  Keep up the good work."
3. "You guys are like the Air Force Reserve except you don't get paid, right?"

I've had no luck with getting VFW/Legion members interested, though overwhelmingly they have been complimentary of CAP.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on December 03, 2014, 04:26:58 AM
I haven't seen much come out of recruiting at those orgs,
mainly because they already belong to a volunteer group.

Some are happy to write a check, and invite cadets to march in parades,
but not too many looking to join.

+1.

JacobAnn

Quote from: Walkman on December 03, 2014, 03:40:08 AMI'm working on a recruiting plan for 2015 specifically to build the SM side of our unit. One tactic I'm thinking about is going to some of the local VFW & American Legion posts and giving a speech about how we are and what we do and asking if anyone is interested in joining the squadron.

I feel this is very worthwhile.  My experience is these organizations are always anxious to have presentations made at their meetings and a presentation by a group that at least has a military affiliation would be more interesting than some others they have.  If nothing else it adds to CAP's exposure.  A VFW member might say CAP would never be for him but he might have a son, daughter or grandchild who would be a prime candidate.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Flying Pig

Same here.... usually they are already volunteering at the level they want... hanging with like minded people without ANY of the hassle, uniforms or paperwork.  That being said, heck, even if you get one its a success.  And if nothing else, get the word out and tighten up your public speaking skills and refine your presentation on a crowd that wont crucify you if it doesn't go perfect.

Pylon

Consider talking to the post commander or equivalent first and get a sense for their membership.  Depending on the group, you might have better luck pitching a partnership for parades or events to their leadership, or giving your pitch and speech about the great things CAP does but at the end asking for a donation to support CP/ES/AE instead of pitching membership.

In terms of hitting up veterans, find out where/how you can reach out to local veterans who are recently getting out and coming home to your area: servicemembers who have been out of the service for 0 to 6 years might be a particularly rich recruiting demographic.  Just a quick brainstorm: SM recruiting flyers aimed at prior service members might go over well in places like your local VA, local veterans services orgs and non-profits, etc.  Talk to local buddies who are recent vets and find out if there are places/ways or even local online groups/forums/FB pages for area vets where you can reach out to that demographic.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: JacobAnn on December 03, 2014, 10:07:47 AMI feel this is very worthwhile.  My experience is these organizations are always anxious to have presentations made at their meetings and a presentation...

There are many groups that need to fill time at meetings and will accept a request by CAP to speak to the membership,
that doesn't make them a good recruiting source.

Certainly units should be in contact with these organizations as a matter of course, but they also need to be selective
about their time.

If you're looking for general awareness, you'd probably be better off at the library or city hall - then you can invite
these orgs, but not focus on them.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

While everyone is says "it's probably not a good recruiting source" they may be right......but any marketer will tell you....if you are not advertising then you are not selling.

So...by all means go to these groups and tell them about CAP....if you get one person out of 100 VFW members.....that's on par for an airshow recruiting booth.

So....do it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

LSThiker

While I think tbis thread has focused mainly on senior members, remember those same people may have children or grandchildren, which might be interested in joining.

You can either use a lot of your own time by individually going to these organizations, which will assure a large group of people will be there. Or you can minimize your time by inviting them, which may get a small attendance and/or a number of "thanks, but no".

Walkman

Good things to think about here.

Any advice on how to frame a presentation to this audience?

lordmonar

Quote from: Walkman on December 03, 2014, 05:29:44 PM

This is CAP.....this is what WE HERE AT THIS UNIT do.....this is what we need to do our mission.

Be specific in your needs....don't just say we need more people.  Say you need people who know about logistics, or drill, or outdoors type things.   It is a better sell.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

GroundHawg

I will tell you what worked for me/us. We hung up flyers at the local VA hospital and any associated VA CBOCs (community based outpatient clinics). Some VA centers have a specific OEF/OIF Clinic so we hit the one in our area up as well. Also, when we would go in, we would talk to the social workers. Many vets, specifically the younger types, want to continue to serve, but are injured, have families etc... and BS'ing at the local VFW/Legion hall drinking cheap beer does not fill that desire. The VA social workers when talking with them would suggest looking at a program such as ours or the USCG Auxiliary. We got 17 new members this way since we started early this year.

RiverAux

Quote from: GroundHawg on December 03, 2014, 11:01:29 PM
I will tell you what worked for me/us. We hung up flyers at the local VA hospital and any associated VA CBOCs (community based outpatient clinics). Some VA centers have a specific OEF/OIF Clinic so we hit the one in our area up as well. Also, when we would go in, we would talk to the social workers. Many vets, specifically the younger types, want to continue to serve, but are injured, have families etc... and BS'ing at the local VFW/Legion hall drinking cheap beer does not fill that desire. The VA social workers when talking with them would suggest looking at a program such as ours or the USCG Auxiliary. We got 17 new members this way since we started early this year.

Wow, now that is interesting. 
Would you say that most of those that joined came from the flyers or from the social workers? 

LSThiker

I am curious how many were retained?  In addition, how many of them had false impressions of "active duty" when they walked in the door.

Otherwise, that is a smart idea.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: LSThiker on December 03, 2014, 11:51:12 PM
I am curious how many were retained?  In addition, how many of them had false impressions of "active duty" when they walked in the door.

Why would they get that impression?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Quote from: lordmonar on December 03, 2014, 05:58:14 PM
Quote from: Walkman on December 03, 2014, 05:29:44 PM

This is CAP.....this is what WE HERE AT THIS UNIT do.....this is what we need to do our mission.

Be specific in your needs....don't just say we need more people.  Say you need people who know about logistics, or drill, or outdoors type things.   It is a better sell.

^ best answer.

I am a Veteran and flying and ES brought me in. CP and AE kept me in.  8)

Private Investigator

Of the 17, how many renewed for a second year? Who will be around for a 3rd year? We had a former soldier who was pleased with his 2nd Lt after six months as deputy asistant supplyman in the Unit. All along we encouraged him to take SLS and do what he needed in professional development. At 1 1/2 years he wanted 1st Lt for his 92% attendance record but he did not have a Tech rating so he was done after two years.  ::) 

Private Investigator

Quote from: CyBorg on December 04, 2014, 01:55:49 AM
Quote from: LSThiker on December 03, 2014, 11:51:12 PM

Why would they get that impression?

Really? Red Dawn scenario and CAP protocol in place. Chinese take out active duty forces, Koreans take out reserve forces and Russians invade only to be resisted by auxiliary forces.  ;)