Main Menu

Rejuvenation of MOTO

Started by James Shaw, December 02, 2014, 01:41:14 AM

James Shaw

After 13 1/2 years of CAP, I do believe I need a rejuvenation of the MOTO. Harder to get my son motivated and myself as well.

How do others do it?
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Майор Хаткевич

No clue.

I'll let you know if someone ever figures it out. I suppose try stepping away for a bit? I did that in late spring/mid summer range, and came back better off. But the 3 months I was gone? Somewhat scared myself how easy it was to stay away...

Cadetter

For me it took a complete change of squadron regime. I did have a nice month break, but it wasn't so easy.
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

NC Hokie

Here are some things that have worked for me and my daughter in the past:

Take a command position (commander or deputy commander)
     Take SLS, CLC, or TLC (even if you've already taken them before)
     Take on a project of some sort (squadron trip or activity, recruiting drive, etc.)
     Take a short break with a defined end date
     Visit other squadrons to see how they do things
     Set a one to two year goal (promotion, NCSA, etc.)

If you do any of these things, commit to doing them for an appropriate amount of time.  The knowledge that others are counting on you can be a powerful motivator.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Brit_in_CAP

Having read some of the other replies, I'd suggest either a sabbatical from your usual unit, with a defined end date, during which you do something CAP-related which you wouldn't otherwise have time for, or simply change your paradigm - like NC Hokie suggested set a goal, visit other squadrons.

Simply taking a break will probably make it worse!

I'm doing that at the moment due to work and I'm worried I might not get back into the rhythm!

Spending some time seeing how other units works is never a bad thing.  You'll either see some good ideas or see things you never want to see again... >:D

Eclipse

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on December 02, 2014, 02:30:10 PMSimply taking a break will probably make it worse!

I'm doing that at the moment due to work and I'm worried I might not get back into the rhythm!

A change of scenery or assignment is probably a good idea, but I don't suggest a break.

+1

As someone who ran full speed for 14 some years, being heavily involved in cadet activities and ES, not to mention
running units and squadrons, I benefited from the "ebb and flow" of CAP - something was always coming up
to recharge the batteries and make it fun or interesting again.

Taking a break from that has demotivated me to the point where renewal this year was a legitimate question.
As someone who sought more then just local activity, and was hoping to have a legitimate positive influence on
fixing CAP I see that  idle hands give you a lot more time to see the big picture, which isn't nearly as rosy as the ad-hoc individual activities
and efforts around the organization.

When you're busy and engaged, it's easier to ignore the non-trivial issues CAP has.

Foibles and warts aside, CAP has to have an ROI that is different for each person, keeping busy and
doing things you enjoy personally is the best way to stay motivated, however with that said,
CAP isn't the only game in town, and there are plenty of other ways to serve your community.

Sometimes the best thing for everyone involved is to say "BTDT, what's next?"

"That Others May Zoom"

BFreemanMA

+1 Eclipse!

I try to take part in nearly every activity my wing and squadron offers and have even expanded our activities by signing on as project officer for a few new ones. I find that it helps to keep me motivated and allows me to see the positive impact we can have on our members at the squadron level.
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

James Shaw

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on December 02, 2014, 04:51:58 AM
No clue.

I'll let you know if someone ever figures it out. I suppose try stepping away for a bit? I did that in late spring/mid summer range, and came back better off. But the 3 months I was gone? Somewhat scared myself how easy it was to stay away...

I understand how easy it is to step away and not return. A genuine concern for me.

Quote from: NC Hokie on December 02, 2014, 12:18:44 PM
Here are some things that have worked for me and my daughter in the past:

Take a command position (commander or deputy commander)
     Take SLS, CLC, or TLC (even if you've already taken them before)
     Take on a project of some sort (squadron trip or activity, recruiting drive, etc.)
     Take a short break with a defined end date
     Visit other squadrons to see how they do things
     Set a one to two year goal (promotion, NCSA, etc.)

If you do any of these things, commit to doing them for an appropriate amount of time.  The knowledge that others are counting on you can be a powerful motivator.

Thanks for the suggestions. To follow along with your suggestions:

1)   Have been a Squadron Commander (2003-2006)  and Interim Group Commander briefly.
2)   I have taken the SLS and CLC but had not thought much about the TLC. I understand it is a good course to take. The TLC may appeal to me.
3)   The others are good suggestions as well. I will give those some thought.

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on December 02, 2014, 02:30:10 PM
Having read some of the other replies, I'd suggest either a sabbatical from your usual unit, with a defined end date, during which you do something CAP-related which you wouldn't otherwise have time for, or simply change your paradigm - like NC Hokie suggested set a goal, visit other squadrons.

Simply taking a break will probably make it worse!

Spending some time seeing how other units works is never a bad thing.  You'll either see some good ideas or see things you never want to see again... >:D

My youngest son is a C/MSGT. I can honestly say that he is part of one of the best and most active squadrons I have visited. I transferred to the squadron after I left National Safety Staff in September. I have attended meetings with him the entire time I was with National Staff.

The Squadron has about 18 ACTIVE seniors and the same number of cadets. The Commander is a retired Navy 05 and all of his kids are in it (3), the Deputy Commander for Cadets (also retired USMC O5) has all (5) of his kids in. As a former National Safety Staff member they do the BEST ORM's I have ever seen.

I currently serve as a PAO, PDO, and Asst Safety.

As you stated as well....taking an actual break may do me in as far as membership is concerned.

Quote from: Eclipse on December 02, 2014, 02:51:22 PM
Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on December 02, 2014, 02:30:10 PMSimply taking a break will probably make it worse!

A change of scenery or assignment is probably a good idea, but I don't suggest a break.

+1

As someone who ran full speed for 14 some years, being heavily involved in cadet activities and ES, not to mention
running units and squadrons, I benefited from the "ebb and flow" of CAP - something was always coming up
to recharge the batteries and make it fun or interesting again.

Taking a break from that has demotivated me to the point where renewal this year was a legitimate question.
As someone who sought more then just local activity, and was hoping to have a legitimate positive influence on
fixing CAP I see that  idle hands give you a lot more time to see the big picture, which isn't nearly as rosy as the ad-hoc individual activities
and efforts around the organization.

When you're busy and engaged, it's easier to ignore the non-trivial issues CAP has.

Foibles and warts aside, CAP has to have an ROI that is different for each person, keeping busy and
doing things you enjoy personally is the best way to stay motivated, however with that said,
CAP isn't the only game in town, and there are plenty of other ways to serve your community.

Sometimes the best thing for everyone involved is to say "BTDT, what's next?"

I was National Staff from 2006 to 2012 with a short stint at Wing Level. Perhaps it is a matter of time adjusting to the Squadron Level stuff again. When I first came back in in 2001 I only worked 6 months out of the year. I was able to do A LOT of stuff in the past 13 years. Perhaps that was a bad move or downfall on my side. I was very eager to do all I could and as you have seen in other posts was quite involved in all aspects of CAP.

I changed jobs about 4 months ago that allows me more free time for Family and School. I went from working 60-70 hours (70% travel) a week to 45 and stopped traveling completely. I am currently working on my MS in Emergency Services Management and authoring two (non-CAP related books).

The more I read and the more I think about it....it is probably an adjustment for me going back to a Squadron than anything else. I was used to working on specific projects and being an SME for an area. IDle minds are the devils play ground.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

Jim Shaw

Flying Pig

Before you take a break, I would suggest what many have.  Change assignments, change Squadrons if possible, maybe ask for a Group staff position?   Once you punch out, something will fill the void as we all know. 

Private Investigator

Quote from: capmando on December 02, 2014, 01:41:14 AM
After 13 1/2 years of CAP, I do believe I need a rejuvenation of the MOTO. Harder to get my son motivated and myself as well.

How do others do it?

Two part answer. For Cadets they see it is a routine and they get bored unless they are promoting, getting better assignments, etc. etc. My children did not get it.

For Seniors, we all have different buttons to be pushed to make us content. For me I like being on Wing Staff until a Command spot opens up. Find something and have fun with it.  8)

James Shaw

I have decided to stay in, I am going to take a different approach:

1) Enjoy the time at the squadron with my son as long as I can. This is the most important one.
2) Cut all but a few of my CAP projects and ideas back and work within my squadron.
3) Limit myself to the specialty tracks I am in now and not take on any more.
4) Realize that I can't put my expectations as a full time Safety Professional on the organization.
5) Work within my squadron where I can have an impact.
6) Work on my books more as my editor suggested and move up the deadline.

Thanks for the suggestions and support.
Jim Shaw

Garibaldi

Quote from: capmando on December 12, 2014, 12:18:00 AM
I have decided to stay in, I am going to take a different approach:

1) Enjoy the time at the squadron with my son as long as I can. This is the most important one.
2) Cut all but a few of my CAP projects and ideas back and work within my squadron.
3) Limit myself to the specialty tracks I am in now and not take on any more.
4) Realize that I can't put my expectations as a full time Safety Professional on the organization.
5) Work within my squadron where I can have an impact.
6) Work on my books more as my editor suggested and move up the deadline.

Thanks for the suggestions and support.

Good on ya, mate, as the Aussies say. I'm still debating my future in CAP. I went to the GA state defense force orientation last Sunday. They are pretty strict about H/W compliance. Their PD program is different, no cadet program, more intensive SAR program (which this fatty will NOT be participating in, until I'm in better shape), and a different rank progression. About 5 to 6 months of IET and I get my first stripe. Officerhood isn't going to happen, but at least I have a short leg-up regarding training. I have until 10 JAN to figure it out and lose some weight or I have to start the next IET...in August. I'm not ruling out CAP at all, but a change of scenery would be nice.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Massholio

For me it took a break in service. Then I rejoined.
Now I was just accepted into the CAPSOC program and will be in class two! >:D
Starfleet Recognized Safety Officer of the year

SarDragon

Quote from: Massholio on December 13, 2014, 10:10:58 PM
For me it took a break in service. Then I rejoined.
Now I was just accepted into the CAPSOC program and will be in class two! >:D

Do you really expect anyone on here to take you seriously?  :o
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

I am kind of going through the same thing, and have been for a while...but a lot of my "stepping away" has had to do with health, personal and other issues unrelated to CAP.

Unfortunately, many in my unit take the "all CAP, all the time, if you're not working, eating or using the latrine, you had better be CAP'ing (if there is such a term)."

One thing that I know hinders me (other than some other issues that many of the habitues of CT know about) is that I am unavailable on Sundays because I am very active in my church...with all the other craziness going on in my life, if I don't have that spiritual anchor, I'll go round the twist.  Squadron/wing activities are almost inevitably both Saturday and Sunday.

I am still doing some things online, like staying safety-current.

However, when I do go back to my unit, rarely does anyone even ask me how I have been - and they all know what I've been dealing with for the past year or so.

A problem is distance.  The next nearest units to me are a good 40+ miles away, one-way, and up here in the frozen North, that can really be bad in winter, not to mention the price of liquid gold.

I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do long-term.  I really don't want to leave CAP, after having been in for so long, but I have also thought of returning to the CGAUX (much less politics, since there are no "ranks") or looking into the NSCC (if they could handle a 50 year old Ensign), so that I could keep working with kids in a military-type environment (as I understand it, the U.S. Army Cadets are floundering, but that's just rumour and hearsay).

Soooo...to the OP, I wish I could have some constructive advice, but other than empathising, unfortunately there's not a lot I can offer.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

James Shaw

Quote from: CyBorg on December 14, 2014, 06:43:57 AM

I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do long-term.  I really don't want to leave CAP, after having been in for so long, but I have also thought of returning to the CGAUX (much less politics, since there are no "ranks") or looking into the NSCC (if they could handle a 50 year old Ensign), so that I could keep working with kids in a military-type environment (as I understand it, the U.S. Army Cadets are floundering, but that's just rumour and hearsay).

I still have about a year left before my son reaches Mitchel eligibility. I know I will be in for whatever amount of time he stays in. I hope he decides to stay in and go for the Spaatz, Right now I am concentrating on other things more and CAP a little less. I feel like I could do a lot more within CAP from the Safety side but that is very difficult.

My boss is a member of CAP and a big supporter of my Safety work. He even allows me to use some of my time and company resources to work on CAP Safety related stuff. He even offered to send me to CAPSOC on the company dime if I felt that CAP and the Company could benefit from the material. That is a nice benefit.

I looked into the Georgia State Defense Forces...........great group but it is an hour drive one way to get there.

I have been in Safety for 27 years and have been responsible for up to 10 Manufacturing Facilities at one time and a Professional Safety Auditor........I love the work and the challenge. CAP has both of those.

I have 2 facilities here in GA and one in Canada.

I have spent the last several months doing an in-depth gap analysis on our Safety Programs, I now have to write new programs for the facility which will be about 36 volumes, training material for each and tests.

Having said all this..........I really like to teach and train. I may look for more opportunities in CAP to do that.
Jim Shaw

Garibaldi

Well, I guess CAP is like smoking, an addiction that's nearly impossible to kick fully. I guess the two month break did me some good, went and joined my "rival" cadet unit two weeks ago and could not be happier. I'm not in charge of anything, the SMs are great and the cadets are really awesome. Dual hatting as ES training officer and assistant comm officer.
Thanks to everyone who supported me.

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Wait a minute, I thought you had "resigned", i.e. 2b'd yourself.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Garibaldi on January 21, 2015, 01:25:48 AM
Well, I guess CAP is like smoking, an addiction that's nearly impossible to kick fully. I guess the two month break did me some good, went and joined my "rival" cadet unit two weeks ago and could not be happier. I'm not in charge of anything, the SMs are great and the cadets are really awesome. Dual hatting as ES training officer and assistant comm officer.

You hangin' out with those reprobates from Sandy Springs? Welcome back! :D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Garibaldi

Quote from: PHall on January 21, 2015, 05:06:33 AM
Wait a minute, I thought you had "resigned", i.e. 2b'd yourself.

I was gonna, at the time I'd had enough, but just like smoking, its a hard habit to break.

Spam

(Hey, Hey, HEY!  "Reprobates"? I'm pretty sure they removed "moral turpitude" from the list of termination offenses about a decade ago...). 
http://www.ga045.org/
Welcome to SSCS, Mister Garibaldi!

LTC Shaw, "have I got a deal for you".  Group IV is in dire need of a TLC by 1APR, and you are one of the two Masters level CP experts down there. I'm proposing that you and I team up and conduct one in March together to revitalize the Group's CP professionals, thus passing on the tradition of excellence we've experienced ourselves and for our dependents.

Can Do?

V/R,
Spam

bflynn

How do others do it?

Disclaimer - I'm a strong introvert.  My energy comes from me, so this is how I do it.  If you're not, this won't make much sense.

How I do it - take some time for myself.  That doesn't mean not participating in CAP, but it's hard (for me) to give, give, give and get little out of it.  Diagnostic question - what do you get out of CAP?  What do you want to get out of CAP?

Take some non-CAP time and do something you want, even something crazy.  Run a marathon.  Study martial arts.  Learn some new camping skills, hike the Appalachian trail in sections.  Learn to play a musical instrument.  It might not be right for you, but I'm thinking of joining EAA and getting involved with building.

Then take whatever you do and bring it and your energy back to CAP and share it with others.  You'll have a new perspective on things.

Spam

Quote from: Garibaldi on January 21, 2015, 01:25:48 AM

'[...] you are dead, and you want me to quicken you once more...'
- Louis to Armand, 'Interview With The Vampire', by Anne Rice (1976)

So, make contact with the Zeitgeist (the spirit of the age), reconnect with what spoke to you about the organization, and pitch back into the fight with your teammates. Just don't show up at the meeting tonight sparkling or whatever, 'cause that Twilight crap is unacceptable...

V/R,
Spam

James Shaw

Quote from: bflynn on January 21, 2015, 01:14:08 PM

How do others do it?

Disclaimer - I'm a strong introvert.  My energy comes from me, so this is how I do it.  If you're not, this won't make much sense.

How I do it - take some time for myself.  That doesn't mean not participating in CAP, but it's hard (for me) to give, give, give and get little out of it.  Diagnostic question - what do you get out of CAP?  What do you want to get out of CAP?

Take some non-CAP time and do something you want, even something crazy.  Run a marathon.  Study martial arts.  Learn some new camping skills, hike the Appalachian trail in sections.  Learn to play a musical instrument.  It might not be right for you, but I'm thinking of joining EAA and getting involved with building.

Then take whatever you do and bring it and your energy back to CAP and share it with others.  You'll have a new perspective on things.

My disclaimer - I am normally an Extrovert about things I am passionate about. For the first 12 years in CAP I felt like I was doing something great and purposeful. The last couple of years have been a struggle. I have completed every PD course I need, 6 specialty tracks, finished the GRW and awarded the SMV. Honestly didnt seem like there was much left for "me" to do. I honestly didnt feel like CAP as an organization cared about "me" as a member. The people I worked with yes...the organization no. Feeling like that is not good for me. Time is the one thing I cannot get back.
People that use to call me now ignore calls and emails.

Diagnostic question - I had to change my focus on why I was in CAP, initially it was "my thing" and my sons participated becasue of me and not necessarily with me. That was my mistake. Though both prospered they were in it for me and not themselves. That had to change. I wanted to make a difference for the organization as a whole and thought i had while I was National Staff, that does not seem to be the case. I had to accept that and change my focus from me to my son (he just got promotoed to C/SMSGT this past monday). When I went back to the squadron it helped me and my son, I still want to make a difference as best as I can, but will not waste any more time worrying about it. My time with my son is more important than that.

What do I want to get - I have it better now than I have in a while. I want to see my son benefit from the program like his older brother and the way I did when I went into the Navy. I wanted to make a difference in the organization at first, now I want to make a difference for my son and the Cadets in my squadron.

I am very passionate about Safety.....that evil word that lurks in the minds of CAP members across the Galaxy......If i can help one member than I am doing well. It's not a specialty track for me, it is my full time career and I take it very seriously. People are resistant to change and like status quo, I am not a status quo type person and like to challenge...but also work to help make a change.

I have started a few new projects that have helped me, i took alot of the energy i was putting into CAP and focused it on my Son/Wife and some personal/professional goals.

I have 3 books I am writing and believe it or not they started because I was writing a Safety training program for a Wing Conference. I never got the chance to share it because no one came to the Safety Seminar.
      I am now making the "rounds" as a guest speaker for the local Safety Community
      Designing/Donating my glass work to a few non-profits
      Working on my Masters in Emergency Services Management

I found a great balance and CAP is a small part of that.

I appreciate the suggestion
Jim Shaw

Spam

General observation, as this topic speaks to me:

So, as another former cadet, I went and did stuff and stayed active in CAP, ES and CP wise, and got burnt out a couple of times over the decades.  Once in the mid 90s was because I got so frustrated at ES victims, of all things, having worked in DR (flooding) missions and seen people gaming FEMA and us to actually make money off of tragedy. I was amazed to find myself actually angry with the victims... and that's not a customer service attitude to have, volunteer or other. I needed some time off to regain perspective. Once was because of tribal CAP squabbling, like you would find in many jobs or homeowners associations or churches... people are people.

I've even been burned out at church. Try being in a small church plant two churches in a row... but I'd no more advise taking time off from CAP than I would taking time off from church, as fallible as both organizations are.

"Time Off" can, in my experience, turn to quitting. Far better to turn the frustration into redirected effort in another area, which for me in CAP was cadet programs and AE. As I had sons of my own, I came to think of my role in CAP as a caretaker role, preserving the programs that meant so much to me by making them viable and vital for other young people. Now, like many others of you, I have sons who are cadets (omit brag sheet here for brevity, grin). Had I not stuck around, I'd have missed the opportunity to keep the light on for them, and their peers.

So, to close, some of you have seen "American Sniper" by now. Warning: a bit of a spoiler, stop now if you wish. Not too much of a spoiler here, but what does one do when one is tired, and has truly been there and done all he can do? In the case of the hero of the film (yes I said hero, Michael Moore), Kyle shifts his focus away from physically protecting troops to working with and emotionally serving vets, and seemingly starts to rediscover himself through a new purpose of servant leadership.

My view, admittedly based on the Golden Rule: Don't labor for human and impersonal organizations, churches, and governments, and don't labor for personal recognition and to rack up a resume. Do it for God, and for your fellow men, and for the cadets our future; that way, your time is not spent, but rather is invested, and your satisfaction will stem from their multiplied achievements, rather than your own, or lack thereof.

With greatest respect,
Spam

James Shaw

Quote from: Spam on January 21, 2015, 03:19:51 PM

My view, admittedly based on the Golden Rule: Don't labor for human and impersonal organizations, churches, and governments, and don't labor for personal recognition and to rack up a resume. Do it for God, and for your fellow men, and for the cadets our future; that way, your time is not spent, but rather is invested, and your satisfaction will stem from their multiplied achievements, rather than your own, or lack thereof.

With greatest respect,
Spam

Great way to put it.
Jim Shaw

FW

^I agree.  Jim, I've held almost every position from cadet basic to national corporate officer, and have felt the same way from time to time.  Then, I realize it's not about "me".  It's about service to something greater.  It is an instant recharge, and I go about my business as usual.  I have no time for those who don't "return my calls".  I do what I can, and enjoy the appreciation of those I help. 
Thanks for all you have done for CAP.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I am trying to arrange a meeting with my CC, to see if he believes there is still truly a place for me in CAP.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Paul Creed III

Quote from: FW on January 21, 2015, 04:57:42 PM
^I agree.  Jim, I've held almost every position from cadet basic to national corporate officer, and have felt the same way from time to time.  Then, I realize it's not about "me".  It's about service to something greater.  It is an instant recharge, and I go about my business as usual.  I have no time for those who don't "return my calls".  I do what I can, and enjoy the appreciation of those I help. 
Thanks for all you have done for CAP.

Seeing the smiles of cadets as they walk in from their orientation flight or an excited senior member who is enjoying their aircrew training = batteries re-charged.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Майор Хаткевич

I remember getting my first stripe, second, etc. I remember what it was like in a bad squadron. Every week I try to give the cadets something better than I had.

catrulz

Where is SSCS in relation to the big chicken? ;D

Garibaldi

Quote from: catrulz on January 21, 2015, 09:27:06 PM
Where is SSCS in relation to the big chicken? ;D

'Bout 30 minutes NNW.

Spam

What the man MEANT to say, was,
Sandy Springs Georgia is due East of Marietta GA, home of the "Big Chicken".
http://www.ga045.org/content/visit.html

He, himself, lives NNW of said giant poultry construct.

V/R,
Spam

catrulz

Quote from: Spam on January 22, 2015, 02:41:53 PM

V/R,
Spam

My parents lived in Marietta and I remember all directions being given in relation to that big chicken... 8)

Garibaldi

Quote from: Spam on January 22, 2015, 02:41:53 PM

V/R,
Spam

Obfuscation, sir.

LTCinSWR

Quote from: Garibaldi on January 22, 2015, 04:43:23 PM
Obfuscation, sir.

For years, Tongue and Quill had a mini-poster I really liked. It said 'I eschew obsfucation'. The irony always made me grin.
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters