Lancaster Mid-Air collision during Young Eagles Day

Started by Eclipse, September 29, 2014, 09:12:14 PM

Eclipse

LANCASTER, NY - A 78-year-old pilot and his 14-year-old male passenger both died when their plane collided mid-air with another small airplane not far from the Buffalo-Lancaster Regional Airport Saturday morning.

The plane crashed a little before 10:30 a.m. in a wooded area just west of Town Line Road in the Town of Lancaster. The deceased are Anthony Mercurio, 78, and James Metz, 14.

Not far away, the second plane made a harrowing emergency landing in a field on Kieffer Road in the Town of Alden. That pilot -- Kevin D'Angelo, 59 -- and a nine-year-old girl who was flying with him were able to walk away from their plane with minor injuries. (Her name will not be released.)

http://www.wgrz.com/story/news/local/lancaster/2014/09/27/breaking-two-plane-crash-on-alden-lancaster-border/16332859/

2 fatalities, 78 year old Pilot and 14-year old passenger.

"That Others May Zoom"

nomiddlemas

That is to bad.  I was once part of EAA until I heard about CAP.  RIP to all those who did not make it down safely. 

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

nomiddlemas

Wow how did they land it with no wings? Im guessing they were taken off before the picture?

a2capt

Al Sayre

When I read the title of this thread I had visions of a Lancaster bomber with a plane load of kids... Sad for all involved.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

PHall

When I read the title of this thread I thought you were talking about the RAF BBMF Lancaster.
A bit more clarity please... >:(

a2capt

Eclipse

Many things ran through my mind when I saw this, not the least of which was the statistical probability
this could involve CAP members.

That a Lancaster Bomber might be involved in an EAA Young Eagles day literally never crossed my mind.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: a2capt on September 29, 2014, 11:08:57 PM
Trailerable aircraft, the wings come off quickly.

Something tells me the trailerability of the aircraft was only a small factor in the wings not being present in that photograph.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JacobAnn

So sad.  My son who is a Life Member of EAA regularly flies Young Eagles.  It is one of the things he loves most about flying.

LSThiker

A reminder of the possible dangers. We could easily have an accident during an O-flight, transport, IACE, or military flight.

Eclipse

^ And something to bear in mind when discussing safety procedures and being in a hurry.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: LSThiker on September 30, 2014, 01:58:52 PM
A reminder of the possible dangers. We could easily have an accident during an O-flight, transport, IACE, or military flight.

People shuck and jive about flight manifests sometimes, but they're a real live no kidding document that operations folks need to pay attention to.  I have been standing there when the statement "I need the manifest for the aircraft laying burning in the field over there" was uttered. It was a real, live no kidding moment.

We (the CAP we) can certainly encounter this kind of problem which just highlights the need for planning, solid briefings, common procedures, heads on a swivel, cockpit sterility, etc. 

I've run wing-level fly days that were easily as busy as most EAA Young Eagle events, and we had nary a problem.  But our pilots briefed their sorties together, and flew as briefed.  Deconfliction was part of the brief.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Panzerbjorn

I have no words.  That poor poor family.  My deepest condolences to that family.  My deepest relief to the families of the survivors. 

I also truly hope that the EAA doesn't overreact and regulate the Young Eagles program into non-existence over the incident.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

a2capt

I think you mean the FAA in that one. As for the wings, if that thing had lost wings in the air, it would have not "landed", but more cratered. Witnesses said they saw it flying low, fast and it went over the tree line and disappeared. A glimpse of a photo showed a mostly intact aircraft on the ground beyond the vegetation.

Based on the bits shown on the ground, I'd have to figure it suffered some kind of chopping by the prop from behind, and if the 172 broke a prop because of it, that would have sent that thing shaking apart at the front, with basically pattern altitude .. you're not going to get much time to deal with it.  :(

I can't see that flying boat becoming a lifting body...

The NTSB will tell us what they think.

Eclipse

That's uncontrolled airspace, right?

I always find it amazing how quickly aircraft converge in "empty" air.  One second there's nothing there,
the next you're changing your shorts.

It also freaks me out on the rare occasion that we land without a tower - you get used to that in an urban area.

The preliminary report still says "unknown circumstances".

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on September 30, 2014, 05:15:19 PM
That's uncontrolled airspace, right?

Looking at the chart, Lancaster Regional (KBQR) is just outside Buffalo's Class C surface area (actually they made a little cutout for them).  Looks like the shelf for the Class C starts about 1,500' AGL (2,200 MSL), but it's Class E starting at 800' AGL in that area. 

So, surface to 800' is Class G (uncontrolled), rest is various levels of controlled airspace.

a2capt

When my aircraft was at a controlled airport, the percentage of operations with/out control were biased towards the controlled side, but if I left the home field out of the equation the percentage was probably 10% controlled.

JeffDG

Quote from: a2capt on September 30, 2014, 06:05:06 PM
When my aircraft was at a controlled airport, the percentage of operations with/out control were biased towards the controlled side, but if I left the home field out of the equation the percentage was probably 10% controlled.

Most folks forget that Class D fields don't have radar control, they rely on pilot position reports and the Mark 1 eyeball of the controller...