Will drones get a place in CAP?

Started by Holding Pattern, September 03, 2014, 10:21:11 PM

Holding Pattern

I hope you all don't mind the open ended topic. But I'm now at the point where I'm seeing SAR groups make the news with use of drones, cadets asking about drones, and local companies asking if we want drones.

So rather than drone on I thought I'd ask here what people thought with regards to drones for the purposes of AE and ES.

Eclipse

For AE, sure.  why not?

For ES?  Not any time soon.  Until the FAA relaxes the rules regarding line-of sight, they aren't much use, legally...

"That Others May Zoom"

vento

Drones are for pilots with limited bladder endurance!
J/K.

The drones that government agencies are using for surveillance are not any cheaper than the Cessnas that we fly. And since our volunteers are donating the pilot time and cost, I'd say that drones are not yet cost effective to maintain. It could be a good force multiplier, no doubt. Also, it can not provide and Cadet O'rides.  >:D

Storm Chaser

It will be years, but eventually I believe CAP will use them for SAR and other missions. There are limitations right now with FAA regulations, technology and cost. But all of those will change with time.

Eclipse

Honestly, when they get to the point of being legally autonomous, I can't imagine CAP will be involved
much - maybe as ground crew, but not on the scale it exists today.

Why bother?  The AFRCC could blanket every wing with UAVs for what CAP costs today, and run them
all from their EOC.

Presumably we're talking about something more sophisticated then a Quad Copter from Brookstone,
but less expensive then a Cessna.  With multispectral imaging and plenty of high-res cameras, the Mark 1 eyeball
will be obsolete right around the time GA pilots are.

I say about 10 years(ish).  This isn't matter transportation or warp drive, the technology already exists and
works today, it's just refinement and getting the cost down, plus wrangling the goobers who think they
are going to go out with a shotgun and "shoot the revenuers down".

The same goes for autonomous cars.  Barring some major catastrophe, I don't expect the average person to
be touching a steering wheel much in about 20 years.  The insurance industry is going to see to that.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheTravelingAirman

Quote from: Eclipse on September 04, 2014, 03:49:55 AM
The insurance industry is going to see to that.

Excuse my ignorance, but what need will there be for insurance then?

SarDragon

Quote from: TheTravelingAirman on September 05, 2014, 09:18:20 PM
The insurance industry is going to see to that.

Excuse my ignorance, but what need will there be for insurance then?

Who pays when the car's nav system fails and [insert horrible accident scenario here]? People die, property is damaged, businesses can't operate; stuff like that.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

Let me guess, SAR in real life is a lawyer or an insurance salesman

(Just kidding, I was going to post the same message but your fingers were faster.)
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

vesryn

The same goes for autonomous cars.  Barring some major catastrophe, I don't expect the average person to
be touching a steering wheel much in about 20 years.  The insurance industry is going to see to that.

Very Related. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU According to CGP, the #1 job category in the US, transportation, will be completely taken over by "autos." (He believes that "driverless car" is the same as "horseless carriage," and it severely limits our thinking.)
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

Eclipse

^ Wow - shockingly astute.

Seriously, I don't know what my great grandkids are going to be able to do.
There's always a place for people who can fix things, util the things fix themselves, then what.

I'd bet 1/2 the transportation itself, driving and flying, is based on needs which will disappear
as things become more and more autonomous, and stuff like 3d printers take over manufacturing.

There's a STEM+CDI conversation for you!

"That Others May Zoom"

vesryn

Quote from: Eclipse on September 06, 2014, 01:40:38 AM

There's always a place for people who can fix things, util the things fix themselves, then what.

I'd bet 1/2 the transportation itself, driving and flying, is based on needs which will disappear
as things become more and more autonomous, and stuff like 3d printers take over manufacturing.

I thought of it only because (instead of teaching the Web Des. 1 kids what websites were) my teacher spent the entire class talking about this. It really makes me think what I'll do when I get out of college. I'm hoping Computer Engineers will still be in existence.
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

Garibaldi

We already have drones. They're called cadet airmen basics.

"WE ARE CAP. YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE."
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

vento

Quote from: Eclipse on September 06, 2014, 01:40:38 AM

rustyjeeper

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 06, 2014, 02:14:47 AM
We already have drones. They're called cadet airmen basics.

"WE ARE CAP. YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE."

really? cadet airmen basics are the drones..... I think not
the real drones are the Wing Staffers.
the ones who wont tell the Wing King he/she has no pants on....

ZigZag911

Maybe, eventually, for damage assessment and disaster relief work.

Though prior posters pointed out, correctly, that the drones are costly, and other agencies already have them.

Still, many items have filtered down to CAP through the years, so I wouldn't rule it out...just don't expect to see them any time soon.

Garibaldi

Quote from: ZigZag911 on September 07, 2014, 09:39:05 PM
Maybe, eventually, for damage assessment and disaster relief work.

Though prior posters pointed out, correctly, that the drones are costly, and other agencies already have them.

Still, many items have filtered down to CAP through the years, so I wouldn't rule it out...just don't expect to see them any time soon.

Still waiting on the Hummers and the NVGs.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

ZigZag911

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 07, 2014, 10:15:42 PM

I heard they are being delivered by the NHQ black helicopters!

Eclipse

The NVGs are >in< the hummers, unfortunately the hummers were all painted super-stealth, visible light
absorbing colors, so they can only be seen with the NVGs.

The Wing LGTs were to be sent the key fobs, the idea being that you would chirp the one assigned to your unit to
find it, unfortunately, the fobs were shipped in the NVG boxes, so...

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 07, 2014, 10:15:42 PM

That is because NHQ requested Hummers instead of M998 HMMWV (NSN 2320-01-371-9577).