Old Kelly Composite Squadron 42178 members

Started by brent.teal, August 10, 2014, 02:23:18 AM

brent.teal

Our old squadron is gone but we remain.   I was thinking about the old days and wondering if anyone on here still remembers meeting in building 1650 on Kelly air force base to the 433rd MAW, the basement years, or meeting in the really nice hanger we shared with the combat repair guys.

Some of the things that stick out in my mind.

Seeing an SR-71 up close, on the tarmac, before it was on the parade ground at Lackland. 
Attending the NCO prep course as a cadet at brooks AFB.
Getting to walk inside a B52 at encampment. 
That wonderful 7 degree winter campout at medina base annex.   I had a summer sleeping bag so I wassss coooold.
Wes light crashing his ultralight and living to tell the tale. 
Wes falling out of his hammock 5 or 6 times at a campout.
Landing the group's Cessna tail first during one of my orientation flights.  Hey the pilot said pull it in my stomach....forgot to say how fast.
Taking one of my fellow cadets Nita Light to the prom....
Hiding the ELT in all kinds of interesting places.
Listening to the HF radio with head phones...then realizing their was a wing staff meeting going on behind me at a sarex.
What my sister said after I landed the Cessna tail first....."I'm never flying with you again!!!!!!"
Ripping up the asbestos floor in our squadron office after a burst pipe. 
The cadet Tudor whom we called half track...........bench pressing Nita. 
Not so friendly rivalry with the Lackland squadron...guess they got the last laugh.

Brent Teal, Captain. CAP
NER-PA-102 Deputy Commander, Communications officer, or whatever else needs doing.

sarmed1

I was there 2000-2004, we were on the 2nd floor of the hanger next to base ops.  I knew then with the merger of Kelly into Lackland, that the squadrons were destined to merge at some point.  ( Knew that the Kelly name would be the one to go, I just always hoped that it would at least keep the charter number)  I believe the "new" squadron is in the same place.  It was one of the better CAP locations I have been in.

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

brent.teal

You are correct.  Two offices, a comm room, and a very large open area.  I am nto sure how my Dad the squadron CO at the time pulled it off but I think he pointed out to those at the base how badly we had been treated.  Whats really funny is that it was only supposed to be temporary. 

It is sad to see the old name go since Kelly was the first army aviator killed.

Where are you now sarmed? 
Brent Teal, Captain. CAP
NER-PA-102 Deputy Commander, Communications officer, or whatever else needs doing.

sarmed1

PA since 06, with a stop in FL along the way.

mk

sarmed1

I have been in plenty of "temp" locations, that CAP (or other agencies) had been for a long time.
When I was there the comm room had been turned into a supply room.  Shortly before my departure we had turned the large open area into two classrooms using office cubicles.  I was trying to work it out with the 433rd (I was a member of the AES at the time, and the ASTS occupied the rest of the building) to get us cage space down in the hanger to use for ES, rather than hauling gear up and down the outside stairs.

mk

bjf_55

I was a member there from 1994-1997 and started when we were still in the old basement. I was the Cadet Commander when the Squadron moved to the flight line offices. I remember plenty of the stories you shared of the old squadron. Kelly Squadron was where I got my start in CAP. It was sad to hear that the Squadron was merged with Lackland but probably for the best. 

Private Investigator

brent.teal

where are you in pa sarmed, i'm at 1008 in group 3 in downingtown.
Brent Teal, Captain. CAP

brent.teal

wow its been so long having a tough time remembering everyone's names.  bjf_55 i'm going to guess your last name starts with an fr. 
Brent Teal, Captain. CAP

sarmed1

I do CAP-RAP now, but I mostly support HMRS and the local Allentown area squadrons

mk

brent.teal

good to hear from you bjf.....I was at summer hawk this year as support staff in comm / logistics but more like KP.  It was vbery enhoyable kf a lot of work and didn't particularly want to leave.  Last couple of days I was helping teach body blocking to the cadets on the hike. 

It was funny I did my ranger 3 hike up cardiac Hill....though we were not told it was called that at the time.  ....I wonder why? 

Brent Teal, Captain. CAP

bjf_55

Nice to hear from you too! Glad to hear that you had a good time out at Hawk, I'm happy to hear that some of the people from the "good old days" are still active in CAP. I spent my CAP summer time supporting my Wing's Encampment up here in the great white north. It was nice to be just the Safety Officer after being the Commander the last two years.

At least after reading this board for years I finally found a reason to join and post something so that's an accomplishment I guess. Lot's of good info on here but I never really felt compelled to join until now. PM me if you want to catch up on Facebook.