CAP cadets launch supersonic rocket

Started by blackbrandt, August 05, 2014, 08:08:32 PM

blackbrandt

Alright, this one is irritating me.  At space command, the cadets launch a rocket.  They said that it was the first rocket to go supersonic.  This is completely false.  For my rocketry badge (that I completed the flights for last Labor Day), 3 of my flights went at least Mach 1.1. 

http://www.capvolunteernow.com/headline-news/?fla_cadets_model_rocket_reaches_mach_1&show=news&newsID=16854

Also, does anyone know what motor it was?  It was an Aerotech motor, at minimum, a K, but does anyone know?

Thanks!
C/MSgt Matt Fletcher

RALEIGH WAKE!!

Гугл переводчик

Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

Eclipse

I guess Google doesn't work in Florida or Alabama.

There's supersonic rockets all over the place, it doesn't even appear to be that unusual.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: blackbrandt on August 05, 2014, 08:08:32 PM
For my rocketry badge (that I completed the flights for last Labor Day), 3 of my flights went at least Mach 1.1. 

Last labor day would be 02 September 2013.  The news article was posted on 17 June 2013.  Ergo, they did it before you. 

While it may not be the first for model rocketry, which was like back in 1980s, is it possible it is the first for CAP?

AlphaSigOU

In the olden days of model rocketry the only way to measure whether a model rocket (this was before the days of high power) went supersonic in flight involved a night launch on a large field or a dry lakebed with a camera setup and a long exposure. The rockets were good only for a single shot and it took some complex trigonometry and photogrammetry to produce a reasonable estimate of a rocket's final boost speed after the films were developed. My attempt broke up in flight under power; only one flight achieved about Mach 1.1.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

blackbrandt

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 06, 2014, 12:57:18 AM
In the olden days of model rocketry the only way to measure whether a model rocket (this was before the days of high power) went supersonic in flight involved a night launch on a large field or a dry lakebed with a camera setup and a long exposure. The rockets were good only for a single shot and it took some complex trigonometry and photogrammetry to produce a reasonable estimate of a rocket's final boost speed after the films were developed. My attempt broke up in flight under power; only one flight achieved about Mach 1.1.

Nowadays, I can hook up my altimeter and RF tracker to a computer, and track how fast the rocket is going, how many G's, altitude, temperature, battery voltage, etc.  So much easier.  :p
C/MSgt Matt Fletcher

RALEIGH WAKE!!