What load bearing equipment do you prefer?

Started by Eeyore, April 11, 2007, 08:14:01 PM

ELTHunter

I use the standard Y suspenders with pistol belt, butt pack, ammo pouches and compass pouch.  I throw a camo Camelback over that.  I've been looking at the CFP 90 because you can snap the day pack on or off of it and not have to repack the stuff in the LBE to carry it with the 72 hour gear.  The day pack doesn't look that good to my though.

Anybody know of any other pack system, other than MOLLE gear, that you can assemble to fit the occasion?

Second question, I use a medium ALICE pack with frame.  However, I have a pretty large frame (me physically), and the ALICE pack frame pokes my right in the back.  I took the frame off a while back but I haven't humped it for any distance.  Is it better or worse without the frame.  I usually carry 30 - 35 pounds.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

SARMedTech

Quote from: ELTHunter on August 21, 2007, 02:52:38 AM
I use the standard Y suspenders with pistol belt, butt pack, ammo pouches and compass pouch.  I throw a camo Camelback over that.  I've been looking at the CFP 90 because you can snap the day pack on or off of it and not have to repack the stuff in the LBE to carry it with the 72 hour gear.  The day pack doesn't look that good to my though.

Anybody know of any other pack system, other than MOLLE gear, that you can assemble to fit the occasion?

Second question, I use a medium ALICE pack with frame.  However, I have a pretty large frame (me physically), and the ALICE pack frame pokes my right in the back.  I took the frame off a while back but I haven't humped it for any distance.  Is it better or worse without the frame.  I usually carry 30 - 35 pounds.

If you check with just about any of the tactical gear shops online you can find ALICE frame pads, largely meant to keep your kidneys from aching. I love ALICEs but am tempted to go with the CamelBak BFM for more comfort.

Also, to those of you who are CFP-90 fans, Blackhawk now makes what they call an Enhanced ALICE Ruck...I think it might give the CFP a run for its money and its about the same price. I also recently found a CFP-90 that claims to be "better than mil-spec" but Im always a little leery of ads like that.

Here is Blackhawks enhanced ALICE:

"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Stonewall

Quote from: ELTHunter on August 21, 2007, 02:52:38 AM
The day pack doesn't look that good to my though.

The day pack is as good as most day packs, but where it lacks in comfort it makes up in convenience.  It's not meant to hold a lot of weight.  But it holds a poncho, poncho liner, 2 MREs and 2 qts of water perfectly.  Room for lots of other odds and ends too.

Quote from: ELTHunter on August 21, 2007, 02:52:38 AMSecond question, I use a medium ALICE pack with frame.  However, I have a pretty large frame (me physically), and the ALICE pack frame pokes my right in the back.  I took the frame off a while back but I haven't humped it for any distance.  Is it better or worse without the frame.  I usually carry 30 - 35 pounds.

You do have a complete frame don't you?  Has a kidney pad that should have a belt on it.  If not, you need the kidney pad. 

Your frame should look like this:

If you're a larger guy you should have a large ALICE (ruck sack) pack.  Medium ones are for the kiddies or can be converted into a team medic bag. 

You can also find an "enhanced belt pad"...  Blackhawk makes one
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

This is what all your ranting and raving has been about?

This thing is enormous.  You plan on E&Eing from deep inside Iraq to Syria with Chris Ryan?

FWIW, here's my theory on a pack for 72hr gear as it relates to CAP.

First, ask yourself the question, do you plan on carrying your 72hr gear more than a mile.  If so, you need something that will equally distribute the weight allowing comfort to carry heavy packs for a decent distance.  My guess is that the absolute longest anyone would carry their 72hr gear in CAP, for whatever reason, is about 2 miles.  I'm sure there's some SAR God type that'll say I'd hike 50 miles to rescue a dog in arctic like conditions, up a mountain with my pack.

Second, how much space do you need?  If you're actually searching, as in performing a line search, would you be carrying your 72hr gear?  I'm sure it's a possibility, but a remote one at that.

How will your 72hr gear most likely be used?  Chances are you'll carry it from the back of your vehicle to a mission base where it will stay until you get back from your sortie.

I carry a CFP-90 or Large ALICE Pack because in the event that I do actually have to carry it it is set up to be carried.  In 20 years of CAP I have yet to carry my 72hr gear greater than 1/2 mile while conducting actual search operations.  How effective of a searcher can someone be with 55 lbs of weight on their back?

I'm just throwing it out there brother.
Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

I have to go off on the far left tangent.  I'm sure that many of you have heard that there are 49 states and then there is California...

My ground team gear is not black or green or brown.  Everything I get is red or blaze orange or some other bright color.  I wear a Ferno Responder II vest which I got from www.lss.com.  My day pack I got at Wal-mart and then I got a 5200cc pack from www.cabelas.com.  I tend to get all of my expendable gear at a dollar store.  I picked up some other items from www.rangerjoes.com.  I did make some modifications to the Ferno vest, like adding some extra padding under the shoulders, but I like it the gear overall.  I use a hydration bladder which is in my day pack.  I don't think I carry much of anything anymore that was military.

WoodlandSARman

For years I used regular web gear and a medium alice pack.

Now I have a medium Camelbak and I can carry everything in it and its comfortable.

Keep in mind I only pack what I REALLY need and have learned to have and not have over the years.

My alice just has my sleeping pad, sleeping bag, extra uniform, and some food.

I can go for 72ish hours on my camelbak if need be. You don't have to have a sleeping pad, you can make one with nature ect ect.

Now for the winter I take my alice and put all the cold weather stuff in it.

My 24/72 combo weighs less then most peoples 24 or as much as ust theur 24 and its very comfortable. Its well built and padded and has vents in the back so your back does not sweat and can breath. I can carry it all day long and be fine, good luck with your alice or most web gear, I can also throw mine on and off very fast and best yet it does not get hung up as much on on tree brances and stuff as my web gear did.

If you want someting else go with Blackhawk for sure.
SM Chamberlin
Former C/CMSGT. "lifer"
IN Wing Central Group ES Officer GLR-IN-224
Former GLR-IN-123
Former SWR-OK-002 - Black Knight Command Staff.
Former GLR-IN-069
NGSAR Basic 2000 - Honor Team
NESA GSAR Advanced/Team Leader - 2001 NESA GSAR Basic -  2007

JohnKachenmeister

Since I do BOTH ground team and flying, I wanted a 24-hour pack that included my survival gear that I could also use in the aircraft.  I got a tactical vest from Cheaper-n-Dirt for $50, and was able to put all of my survival gear into the various pockets.  I add to that a Gall's Street Pro police gear bag with the forms and administrative stuff I need as GTL/GBD.  I even have a small whiteboard in there for setting up a status board at a HQ, and I can also use it as a training aid for impromptu classes in the field.

My 72-hour pack is a big Camelbak.  I carried standard military gear since the Vietnam War, and as soon as I saddled up with the Camelbak for an exercise, I realized how good it is.  It is THE MOST COMFORTABLE PACK I HAVE EVER CARRIED!  I do not worry about frozen drinking tubes in Florida.  The only ice here is in the cocktails.
Another former CAP officer

BillB

John do I understand you are furnishing the cocktails on Feb 1-3, 2008?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

afgeo4

I use standard alice clip LBE's with a Y harness for small, 24 hr work (along with a standard camelbak)and a 3 day US Army assault pack (from e-bay) for 48 hr work (includes an H2O bladder). I have a medium pack with frame for 72 hours, but... my favorite load bearing equipment is cadets.
GEORGE LURYE

davedove

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 21, 2007, 03:25:45 PM
my favorite load bearing equipment is cadets.

I actually prefer to use the van to haul my equipment.  It doesn't gripe as much as the cadets. ;D
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

afgeo4

Quote from: davedove on August 21, 2007, 03:35:15 PM

I actually prefer to use the van to haul my equipment.  It doesn't gripe as much as the cadets. ;D

Sure, but gas is $2.95 here, so it's cheaper to buy a can of chef boyardee to keep the cadet's mouth happy (don't know why they like that stuff so much.)
GEORGE LURYE

Duke Dillio

Quote from: davedove on August 21, 2007, 03:35:15 PM

I think it depends on the van you get.  Most of the vehicles we have in CAWG are junk.  It might be nice to haul for a little while, but I wouldn't go out without expecting one of these things to take a dump on you at the worst possible moment.  Murphy's law of ground search and rescue definately applies here.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: BillB on August 21, 2007, 02:16:16 PM
John do I understand you are furnishing the cocktails on Feb 1-3, 2008?

No habla Ingles.

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

OOO another drunken senior member alcohol fest???  Woot... oh wait, cadets running about.... Um, it's apple juice... Yeah, that's it, apple juice...  Seniors don't drink alcoholic beverages...   :angel:

♠SARKID♠

I'd stay miles away from the pistolbelt/suspender combo.  I delt with that for years and I hated it.  I ended up with a ton of pouches sticking way way out to the point that I couldnt put my arms down right.  I upgraded to a vest and am much much happier!

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: sargrunt on August 21, 2007, 08:31:15 PM
OOO another drunken senior member alcohol fest???  Woot... oh wait, cadets running about.... Um, it's apple juice... Yeah, that's it, apple juice...  Seniors don't drink alcoholic beverages...   :angel:

Quote from CAPR 52-16:

"Firearms will not be carried or used in any cadet activity, except as indicated elsewhere for training, and to establish an armed guard outside any cocktail lounge open during any CAP activity with orders to shoot on sight any cadet member who approaches the bar while officers are engaged in nautical activities known as 'Splicing the main brace.'"

Duke Dillio

I remember during one CAP activity there was an open bar right next to the room where we were having a banquet.  I don't remember any of the senior members becoming soused acting in an unprofessional manner but I had always thought that this was a HUGE no-no.  Would have been funny to see some of the seniors in their "less than professional" mode.  What do they do at the National Boards?  Are there any drinking establishments at any of the facilities?

WoodlandSARman

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 22, 2007, 01:56:21 AM
Quote from: sargrunt on August 21, 2007, 08:31:15 PM

Quote from CAPR 52-16:

"Firearms will not be carried or used in any cadet activity, except as indicated elsewhere for training, and to establish an armed guard outside any cocktail lounge open during any CAP activity with orders to shoot on sight any cadet member who approaches the bar while officers are engaged in nautical activities known as 'Splicing the main brace.'"

Or to be stationed outside the "forward command post" while Senior member  Air Teams and Senior Member GT's are trying to "out buy" each other :D
SM Chamberlin
Former C/CMSGT. "lifer"
Former GLR-IN-123
Former GLR-IN-069

WoodlandSARman

Quote from: sargrunt on August 22, 2007, 05:25:44 AM
I remember during one CAP activity there was an open bar right next to the room where we were having a banquet.  I don't remember any of the senior members becoming soused acting in an unprofessional manner but I had always thought that this was a HUGE no-no.  Would have been funny to see some of the seniors in their "less than professional" mode.  What do they do at the National Boards?  Are there any drinking establishments at any of the facilities?

You need to go to NESA and then go the the forward command post the night before graduation............

:-X :o
SM Chamberlin
Former C/CMSGT. "lifer"
Former GLR-IN-123
Former GLR-IN-069