What load bearing equipment do you prefer?

Started by Eeyore, April 11, 2007, 08:14:01 PM

Eeyore

I have been away from CAP for years and years. I am now at a SQ that has a lot more focus on the ES portion of the CAP mission; the last SQ I was with (years ago) was primarily CP. I don't even think that we had any ground teams or air crews.

Well, I am now working on my GT certs and was curious about gear... which is better the load bearing vest or suspenders and pistol belt combo.? I have heard that the vests are far more comfortable to wear than the old style suspenders and belt, but do I want to look like 'one of those guys'. I do understand why some say that 'those guys' look like they are about to go into battle, but maybe the reason it goes into battle is because its better...

Whichever I choose I am going to spend some money on it so that I have something that will last a long time. No sense in buying it twice.

What do all of you prefer and wear? Any suggestions on a company to purchase from?

RogueLeader

I personally like the pistol belt and the y-suspenders.  You can get most, nearlly 100% hrom the Hockshop. www.thehock.com
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

floridacyclist

I really do like my MOLLE gear as it is much more comfortable than my old web gear, but I have it in black to better match my blue BDUs. Other than that, it's pretty standard - MOLLE gear, with 2 canteens, butt pouch, Camelbak and flashlight all in black plus a first aid pouch that I dyed black since I couldn't find it in that color. Still using the camo ALICE pack, but may trade up to a good lightweight hiking backpack.....in black of course.

I haven't had any bad experiences with the quality of my gear even thoguh it's obviously not GI, but I have seen pistol belts that were limp and floppy and a lot of the metal clips that come on imitation gear doesn't lock; it's only held down by spring pressure and friction.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Stonewall

20 years in CAP, 18 of those years being a GTM or GTL.  I've always carried a Large ALICE pack with frame for overnight bivouacs and some assemblance of your standard issue LBE with buttpack.

As for what goes in it, all the stuff required plus extras.

Not once, ever, has anything ever failed me or broken.  Until I started buying "high speed" versions of standard LBE gear, I never spent more than $100 on my gear.  Always encouraged my cadets and fellow seniors to do the same and never had a problem with it.

I'm sure there is equally squared away gear out there, but that's for all the hooah SAR techs, high angle rescue gurus and sign cutters.  Me, I'm sort of just an ES grunt who can navigate in the woods, bandage a guy up and find my way home.

EDIT:  I lied.  Around the mid-90s I started using the CFP-90 ruck sack with internal frame and detachable day pack.  I felt that it was better suited for winter time SAR operations.

In this picture of my "backside" you can see the day pack.  That "mini-buttpack" is from London Bridge Trading Company, a higher-end gear place.  But it was the perfect sized buttpack and had two fast-ex clips instead of the strap buckles.

Here is a picture of three different military set-ups.  The guy in the middle was visiting from Florida Wing and the guy on the left is from another squadron.  That's me on the right.  The "ammo" pouches are from London Bridge Trading Company and are used for a 100rd belt of 7.62 (M-60) from my days as a "pig gunner".
Serving since 1987.

NIN

Best load bearing equipment?  A hyper cadet about 5' 6" with broad shoulders.

"Here, troop, carry my gear."

Problem solved.

Oh, wait, was that not what you were asking?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Sgt. Savage

Enhanced Tactical LBV, for the 24 hr gear. CPF-90 for the long term stuff.

Humped an ALICE pack for a while. When Uncle Sam gave me a Pack 90, I never looked back; no more back ache.

Jim

arajca

Quote from: NIN on April 11, 2007, 10:19:19 PM
Best load bearing equipment?  A hyper cadet about 5' 6" with broad shoulders.

"Here, troop, carry my gear."

Problem solved.

Oh, wait, was that not what you were asking?

I knew someone was going to say this. ;D

Former_C/LTC

Don't waste your money on any gear sold at some Army Navy Surplus stores.  Also don't waste your money on what is the lowest bidder that manufactured the Y type suspenders, and old style pistol belt or ALICE pack.  Google blackhawk industries, and get on their website.  I have been deployed to Korea and other places around the world before I cross trained from Security Forces, blackhawk gear is worth every penny I spent over 10 years ago.  There gear is first rate and exceptionally well made.  Don't bother with canteens, get a camelback or hydrastorm water bladder.  The decision to go with a vest or updated H type suspenders and ammo pouches is a personal one, I have both and it depends on the mission as to which gear I will wear.  For anything more than 24 hours get yourself an internal frame rucksack from blackhawk.  I am currently an Air Force Reserve medic and still use many of the blackhawk gear I purchased over the years.  You will be very pleased with their equipment.

LTC Richard J Levitt, CAP

MSGT Richard J Levitt, USAFR

Stonewall

I won't lie, I use Blackhawk gear, but I've never bought it myself.  Last job bought everything that had "Blackhawk" on the tag and issued it to us.  Good stuff.

To each his own, and for CAP I prefer H-straps.  London Bridge Trading Company is the original with all that high speed gear that Blackhawk pretty much copied and got the lowest bidder, aka VIETNAM to make.  LBT and Eagle Industries are all American made.  Just personal preference.  YMMV.

As for Camelbacks, the first time I used mine in an "extreme cold environment" was at Hawk Mountain in the Winter Time where the tube froze.  Kind of hard to drink through a frozen tube.

As a former Infantryman I can personally attest to carrying a lot of weight over extended distances for very long periods of time.  90% of the time I carried a Large ALICE pack because that's what they issued me.  Later on, in CAP in fact, I made out with the CFP-90 (internal frame ruck).  I ain't gonna lie, its a great piece of kit.  I definately like the separate compartment for the sleeping bag so you don't have to dig around it for other gear.   But back to carrying weight, I live in Florida and I don't plan on carrying a ruck sack in CAP further than from my vehicle to the assembly area where I'll set up my hooch for the night.

If we're talking cadets, I'll let you go ahead and tell cadets to blow off the Army/Navy store where they can get what they need for under $100 and drop $300 for some high speed gear they'll use a few times.

If something ain't broke, there's no need to fix it or replace it.  If you've got a disposable income, then have at it.  I used to make a lot of money, travel the globe, get issued everything I needed to be cool, but I traded it all in to spend time with my family and enjoy life working 80 hours a pay period (I work 5 on 4 off).  I'll stick with my LBE. ;-)
Serving since 1987.

floridacyclist

Army/Navy? How about Ebay? $20 for GI webgear, which is perfect for loaning out to new cadets.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

sarmed1

Over the past 15 years I have used just about every combo of gear options you can think of.  From old vietnam canvas LBE to day pack to survival vest up to the highspeed Blackhawk type vest (as in the picture...I am the guy in the middle BTW)

My current set up is pretty simple and covers about every SAR situation I have probabilty of coming in contact with...including civilian wildland fire and USAR.

small chest harness (the radio carrier type with a pocket) and a large civilian hiker day pack (both in black of course to blend in)
http://www.conterra-inc.com/product_info.php?products_id=18

This set up carries all of the gear for wilderness and urban work.  I stash a 3-day blackhawk pack in a gear bag that holds a few miscelaneous items, that covers the GTL type stuff,  can extend out to about 36 hours or unique rescue situations (poncho liner, machette, extra food, PFD, high angle, etc)

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Major Lord

I am also a big Blackhawk fan! I have a black vest with the pistol holster sewn on for work, and the green (OD) Medic vest. You can tell the Blackhawk people designed this gear for people who actually use it.

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

fyrfitrmedic

I'm another on the list of those who have found Blackhawk gear quite suitable.

I've only had one issue with a gear failure; Blackhawk more than lived up to their warranty and reputation.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Eeyore

Well, Blackhawk was what I was looking at; I think I just may go with that.

Thanks!

Sgt. Savage

What's sad id that if our Logistics officers, through the state director, would get DRMO permissions, we wouldn't be buying most of this stuff. My current LBE and CPF-90 came from DRMO Portsmouth, just before it closed. We got like 40 pallets of gear, the vast majority of it in great condition. Now, it's an online system, that the CAPUSAF  liason has to set up for the wing. We haven't seen any DRMO stuff since it closed, a year ago.

stillamarine

Quote from: CaptLord on April 12, 2007, 08:24:41 AM
I am also a big Blackhawk fan! I have a black vest with the pistol holster sewn on for work, and the green (OD) Medic vest. You can tell the Blackhawk people designed this gear for people who actually use it.

Capt. Lord

The founder of Blackhawk is a former SEAL who got tired of his gear always falling apart.  He constantly visits the Teams and other SpecOps types to get in put on what is needed. His gear is always field tested by the guys that use it before it goes on the market.

I've purchased a bunch of gear from him especially when I was in Afghan.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Major Lord

My son bought the Blackhawk chest-mount holster for his frequent trips to dirka-dirkastan. I bought him the Blackhawk Deployment bag (with wheels). Now we constantly steal each others gear ! There is enough nylon and velcro between the two of us to build a good sized S&M business!

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

floridacyclist

Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

DNall

Eeyore

Are you kidding? When I used to work for the government, our first aid kits looked just like that  :D