Are general weigh-ins being conducted?

Started by RiverAux, July 11, 2014, 07:22:24 PM

When was the last time your unit held a required weigh-in for all senior members that wear AF-style uniforms?

Never
49 (96.1%)
Never, but one is scheduled within the next quarter
0 (0%)
Within last 3 months
1 (2%)
Within last 4-12 months
0 (0%)
Within last 1-5 years
1 (2%)
Over 5 years ago
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 51

NC Hokie

Quote from: Alaric on July 13, 2014, 12:06:27 AM
The problem is your CC can't abrograte the regs and I have seen people turned away from events for failure to provide the information.

According to CAPR 160-1, members are required to have/submit the forms, but there is no requirement that they be completely filled out.  Also, the sections dealing with these forms are filled with "should" and "may" statements, leaving commanders ample (perhaps even too much) room for interpretation.  As a practical matter, this means that a commander can do everything from accepting a completely blank form to denying participation if any of the requested information is missing.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

Hippa, medical records, calibrated scales, no time to do it, blah, blah, blah.

All horsepoop excuses.

Want to wear the blues?  Weigh in.

Don't want someone to know how much you weigh for FSM who knows what reason or
political concern / comment / philosophy you posses or statement you want to make?

Fine.  You don't wear the blues.

Done.

FYI - no one actually cares how much you weigh, and everyone pretty much knows anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

Alaric

Quote from: Eclipse on July 13, 2014, 03:52:48 AM
Hippa, medical records, calibrated scales, no time to do it, blah, blah, blah.

All horsepoop excuses.

Want to wear the blues?  Weigh in.

Don't want someone to know how much you weigh for FSM who knows what reason or
political concern / comment / philosophy you posses or statement you want to make?

Fine.  You don't wear the blues.

Done.

FYI - no one actually cares how much you weigh, and everyone pretty much knows anyway.

My issue with medical records being in the hands of cadets has nothing to do with wearing blues, it has to do with protection of my personal information.

Storm Chaser

I prefer the Air Force current approach captured in AFI 36-2905.

Quote from: AFI 36-2905, Section 10.2, Failing to Present a Professional Military Image While in Uniform
10.2.1. Commanders must ensure members present a professional military image while in uniform. A professional military image/appearance may or may not directly relate to an individual's fitness level or weight.

10.2.2. Commanders may require individuals who do not present a professional military appearance (regardless of overall FA [fitness assessment] composite score) to enter the FIP [Fitness Improvement Program] (SFIP for ARC) and/or otherwise schedule individuals for fitness education and intervention.

That should translate to CAP as in, CAP members can't wear the AF-style uniform unless they can "present a professional military image while in uniform", even if they meet the height/weight requirements.

foo

Quote from: Alaric on July 12, 2014, 11:21:02 PM
I was just at a SAREX and I had to turn my 161 into a cadet!

That's quite a trick! There are times I'd like to turn my cadet into a 161...   >:D

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Alaric on July 12, 2014, 11:21:02 PM
Quote from: Ned on July 12, 2014, 11:06:48 PM
By its terms, HIPAA  only applies to medical providers and insurance companies, of which CAP is neither.

That said, we have a responsibility to safeguard members' personal information.

Just not a HIPAA issue.

Which is what concerns me with the new Form 161s.  They wan't an awful lot of information and we leave it in the hands of people who are not trained in the protection of personal information.  I was just at a SAREX and I had to turn my 161 into a cadet!  I don't see why they need my insurance information anyway, if you are taken to a hospital in an emergency, they must treat so it doesn't matter if I have insurance.

You're not required to fill in your insurance information if you don't want to. Alternately, you could keep a copy of this form with all appropriate information on your person.

In many missions, you'll continue to see cadets as MSAs doing check-ins and collecting these type of documents. If you have a concern, you can always turn these into their supervisor instead.