Main Menu

Putting a pack together

Started by fokkerfrenzy, February 03, 2014, 05:06:52 PM

fokkerfrenzy

I was hoping to get some insight/ recommendations from people who've had some experience.  Is there a better way of putting together a 24/72 hours pack from scratch than buying everything one piece at a time?

Obviously some things can only be bought separately, notebooks, flashlights, etc.  I was wondering if anyone has a found a good source for some of the other bits like the climbing stuff, and first aid.  Is there anywhere to get a kit that contains most of these items that is affordable, and won't have a lot of stuff left over that won't go in?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you guys might have.

Eclipse

There is no climbing gear required for CAP.

The 24 hour gear can be put together in the camping aisle at Walmart for ~$50, which is what I recommend for
new members getting started.

If they stick with it, they can upgrade as they need to and learn what works best, if they decide GT is not for them,
everything can be used for regular camping and every day use.

"That Others May Zoom"

fokkerfrenzy

Or, a good source for buying items in an amount that would work to split between a few people and go in together on the cost?

fokkerfrenzy

There are a couple of items on the GSARSS gear list that they recommended a climbing store that may be a bit more expensive.  It's not on the ES gear list, I should have specified, I apologize.

fokkerfrenzy

Also, since there doesn't seem to be a source for such a thing, what do you think the pros/cons might be of buying in bulk and marketing 24 hour packs preassembled for CAP members?

a2capt

"the climbing stuff".

What list are you using?

.. and there's a "modify" button, for posts.

Eclipse

No idea what a GSARSS list is, but the 24 hour gear is all you need to participate in CAP GT activities.

Pros and cons?  You want us to build out your business model?

$50 is the low-end, the high-end is "whatever you have", neither is going to be a good fit for "marketing 24 hour packs".

"That Others May Zoom"

fokkerfrenzy

I was just curious if it had ever been tried. Or if it were at all advisable.  Just a random idea I had.

sarmed1

Quote from: a2capt on February 03, 2014, 05:25:13 PM
"the climbing stuff".

What list are you using?

.. ...
Quote from: Eclipse on February 03, 2014, 05:30:45 PM
No idea what a GSARSS list is, but the 24 hour gear is all you need to participate in CAP GT activities.

GSARSS-Ground Search and Rescue Specialty School-its the GT component of TXWG's ES school.  Part of the GTM portion they test NASAR SAR Tech II, , and part of the required equipment is 2 locking 'biners, 2 prussik slings and a section of 1" tubular webbing.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Storm Chaser

I recommend you don't buy your compass at Walmart. You can buy a better, reasonably priced compass at Amazon's for less than $15.

Suunto A-10

Walkman

If you want to buy "bulk" and share with others, you could probably buy larger boxes of much of the 1st Aid items at Walmart (or Sam's if there's a ton of people). I'm sure you could get some people to split a case of MREs for the 2 meals reqirement. Paracord can be bought in large spools to be cut up with several people.

<topic drift>
If you buy paracord, don't get it in any of the tactical colors. Since we're not in the war fighting biz, we don't need camo, and not clotheslining a squadron buddy some night on a campout 'cuz they didn't see your line would be appreciated. I've got both red & hi-viz orange cord.
</topic drift>

fokkerfrenzy

Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 03, 2014, 07:45:27 PM
I recommend you don't buy your compass at Walmart. You can buy a better, reasonably priced compass at Amazon's for less than $15.

Suunto A-10

I asked for this specific one for christmas.  :)

LSThiker

Quote from: Walkman on February 03, 2014, 07:54:54 PM
<topic drift>
If you buy paracord, don't get it in any of the tactical colors. Since we're not in the war fighting biz, we don't need camo, and not clotheslining a squadron buddy some night on a campout 'cuz they didn't see your line would be appreciated. I've got both red & hi-viz orange cord.
</topic drift>

Paracord.com has glow-in-the-dark and reflective paracord.  :)

a2capt

Wherever you buy a compass, if it's a retail establishment and they try to scan it, and have the demagnetizer for "secured" products inline with the scanner .. hold onto what you have and ask them to use the hand scanner.

fokkerfrenzy

Interesting, I've never considered that.  Good advice, a2, thanks.

Garibaldi

Quote from: LSThiker on February 03, 2014, 08:34:35 PM
Quote from: Walkman on February 03, 2014, 07:54:54 PM
<topic drift>
</topic drift>

Paracord.com has glow-in-the-dark and reflective paracord.  :)

The female cadets love that paracord is available in hot pink.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Storm Chaser

Quote from: a2capt on February 03, 2014, 08:35:08 PM
Wherever you buy a compass, if it's a retail establishment and they try to scan it, and have the demagnetizer for "secured" products inline with the scanner .. hold onto what you have and ask them to use the hand scanner.

Regardless of this potential issue, compasses sold at retailers like Walmart are just junk, and not suitable for land navigation during GSAR operations.

a2capt

Not always "just junk", and if that's all you have..

LSThiker

Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 03, 2014, 11:48:21 PM

Quote from: a2capt on February 03, 2014, 08:35:08 PM

Regardless of this potential issue, compasses sold at retailers like Walmart are just junk, and not suitable for land navigation during GSAR operations.

That depends on what you mean by "not suitable for land navigation".  I have turned in many military issued compasses because they were not accurate or precise.  It was not until my supply NCO got annoyed and issued me a brand new compass.  Fortunately, he forgot to have me sign for it  :)

Regardless of the manufacturer, most people never verify the accuracy and precision of their compass.  If it is within 3 degrees, it is fine.  I have always preferred using terrain association for land navigation and only use my compass for taking a bearing in order to plot on a map, to simply orient my map, or if I am having a problem during a night navigation course.  Of course, there is the notable exception for when doing navigation courses on flat deserts, but I doubt the majority of people will ever have that opportunity.   

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 03, 2014, 11:48:21 PMRegardless of this potential issue, compasses sold at retailers like Walmart are just junk, and not suitable for land navigation during GSAR operations.

Strongly non-concur.

CAP operates in a +/- 5 degree universe.  For the average member doing the average mission, the human factor
is going to introduce more error then a resonably working compass, which yes, you should check when you buy it.

This:  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport-Deluxe-Map-Compass/10927620

and this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport-Lensatic-Compass-Black-Case/10927618

...are fine, especially for new members and cadets.  If you know how to use them, they will get you where you
need to be, within the margins of error we work in.

Just as we all know Android is clearly better then iOS, there will always be "better", or more specifically "more expensive".
Good on 'ye if you can afford it and want to spend the money out of the gate, but the truth is CAP
could probably fund a year or two of operations if we just scooped up and sold all the GT gear that
was 300% more then a member ever needs and wound up in the bottom of the tool box after the first bivouac.

The actual reality is that anyone carrying a smartphone, or an iOS device, can download a free compass app
that will work just as well or better then most hand-held devices, and suit the same need.

"That Others May Zoom"