Character Development topics?

Started by SAREXinNY, January 24, 2014, 12:03:56 AM

SAREXinNY

I've been using the following website for my monthly CDT talks:
http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/character/

I'm starting to run out of material though.  Does anyone know why this hasn't been updated since 2012?  Where do other CP/CDT officers get their material from?

bbhpr

There are 59 lessons posted. If you do one a month, that's almost 5 years worth of lessons. By time 5 years rolls around you could just start over, most of your cadets from the first round will be gone.

Eclipse

Not to mention that a cadet's attitude will probably change over the course of the year+, and re-examing
their attitude has value as well.

Your best bet is to stick to the published topics.  Making things up is a good way to wander into troublesome conversations.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: Eclipse on January 24, 2014, 02:05:38 AM
Not to mention that a cadet's attitude will probably change over the course of the year+, and re-examing
their attitude has value as well.

Your best bet is to stick to the published topics.  Making things up is a good way to wander into troublesome conversations.

Like having a MLO that believed moral leadership time was a method of preaching Christianity and that the only moral people are those that submit entirely to God.

Yeah, definitely better to stay with published topics and not accidentally get yourself into controversial topics.

Eclipse

Quote from: LSThiker on January 24, 2014, 02:12:38 AMLike having a MLO that believed moral leadership time was a method of preaching Christianity and that the only moral people are those that submit entirely to God.

Exactly.

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

Quote from: SAREXinNY on January 24, 2014, 12:03:56 AM
I've been using the following website for my monthly CDT talks:
http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/character/
See the graphic with the Medal of Honor at the bottom of that page?  Check it out and create an account to get access to dozens of lessons based on the accounts of Medal of Honor recipients.  There's a lot of good stuff there that might be a welcome break from the usual FAPS analysis.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Walkman

Quote from: NC Hokie on January 24, 2014, 03:14:39 AM
See the graphic with the Medal of Honor at the bottom of that page?  Check it out and create an account to get access to dozens of lessons based on the accounts of Medal of Honor recipients.  There's a lot of good stuff there that might be a welcome break from the usual FAPS analysis.

Thanks for the hat tip on that! I like to mix in a few lessons here and there that aren't in the manual.

(Disclaimer - Concerning the previous comments, I bend over backwards to keep my own politics and religious beliefs out of the sessions.)

Rosco P

Why do you keep using the term MLO? It is no longer apply. It is CDI...

coudano

A lot of those individual lessons were written by various senior members, who needed a lesson at their squadron that month...  in sort of a "ripped from the headlines" fashion.

You've been doing this a while,
why not try writing a new lesson for your squadron's use,
and if it works out well maybe they will add it to that page for others to use as well!

I just saw some email traffic around a char dev discussion regarding the USAF missile officers who cheated on the tests, and the command culture surrounding that career field.  Pretty interesting.

There's plenty of stuff in the news to have good discussions about, all the time.

EDIT:  If you are worried about your topic or materials not being within char dev boundaries, or being to preachy or whatever, feel free to post it here before you present it at your squadron, we can help you clean it up and finalize it.  Same with formatting of the lesson plan.  If you're interested.

Eclipse

Quote from: Rosco P on March 28, 2014, 09:30:45 PM

No one is using it except in historical context.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: Rosco P on March 28, 2014, 09:30:45 PM

Because at the time of my story, it was called ML and not character development.