CAP Promotion advantages

Started by nmkaufman0, January 18, 2014, 04:21:04 AM

nmkaufman0

If a CAP Cadet earns C/2LT, he or she can get promoted to the E-3 pay grade if he or she were to enlist in the Air Force. Do Cadet officers have the same promotion advantages in the other 4 branches of the Armed Forces?
C/A1C Nathaniel Mark Kaufman
Thunderbolt Composite Squadron

MIKE

No, not all services offer E-3 for the Mitchell award.  The Army offers E-2 for example.
Mike Johnston

Майор Хаткевич

GroundHawg

Quote from: nmkaufman0 on January 18, 2014, 04:21:04 AM
If a CAP Cadet earns C/2LT, he or she can get promoted to the E-3 pay grade if he or she were to enlist in the Air Force. Do Cadet officers have the same promotion advantages in the other 4 branches of the Armed Forces?

There are five armed services and seven uniformed services.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: GroundHawg on January 18, 2014, 04:48:51 AM

He did say other 4.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I don't think the Marines recognise our cadet achievements at all - can anyone confirm/deny?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

a2capt

It boils down to what you get at the time you sign. We've had some cadets get something, others not, being on a Marine base, we get prior cadet Marines in, too, and they say the same thing.

MSG Mac

This is definitely something that the cadet must ask about when he/she visits the recruiter(s). If the advanced grade is available, make sure that it's written into the contract. Visit more than one branch, so that you can tell the recruiter what the other services are offering.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

LSThiker

Exactly.  For the Army, there is a lot of leeway in the ranks E-2 and E-3.  Even though the Mitchell gets E-2, I have seen a number of former Mitchell Cadets, including me, get E-3 in the Army.

abdsp51

I guess I had it easy as I was both a JROTC cadet and a CAP cadet.  I had every branch offering me advanced grade based on those two certificates alone.  Each one offered me advanced grade of E3 starting.  Of course that was back in 1999 but hey times change. 

LSThiker

Quote from: abdsp51 on January 18, 2014, 08:34:34 PM
I guess I had it easy as I was both a JROTC cadet and a CAP cadet.  I had every branch offering me advanced grade based on those two certificates alone.  Each one offered me advanced grade of E3 starting.  Of course that was back in 1999 but hey times change.

Some minor things have changed but not much over the years.  I remember the NG was offering the advanced rank for recruiting people back in the late 90s and early 2000.  It was like 1 person in you get E-2, two people in you get E-3.  Not sure if it still exists today, but I am sure similar programs are around.  Of course at that time there were no Rep63 training programs that you see today.

Noble Six

When I enlisted the Marines did recognize my Mitchell award and gave me contract PFC E-2.  But maybe I was lucky and had a good recruiter.
United States Marine Corps Retired
Earhart#13897

GroundHawg

Quote from: LSThiker on January 18, 2014, 06:28:58 PM
Exactly.  For the Army, there is a lot of leeway in the ranks E-2 and E-3.  Even though the Mitchell gets E-2, I have seen a number of former Mitchell Cadets, including me, get E-3 in the Army.

I received E3 in the Army for my Mitchell, but that was in 1995 :o

nmkaufman0

When I said "other 4 branches", I meant the branches of the Armed Forces other than the Air Force.
C/A1C Nathaniel Mark Kaufman
Thunderbolt Composite Squadron

JK657

Recently with the draw down the ability to get promoted prior to BCT in the Army has been greatly reduced. I enlisted back in 2007 and there were so many incentives that just about everybody got E-2 or E-3. Now, its the opposite, E-1 (fuzzies) are the most common and pretty much the only promotions you are getting is for college. A bachelors degree still does equate to an E-4 though.

LSThiker

Quote from: JK657 on January 19, 2014, 04:49:20 AM
Recently with the draw down the ability to get promoted prior to BCT in the Army has been greatly reduced. I enlisted back in 2007 and there were so many incentives that just about everybody got E-2 or E-3. Now, its the opposite, E-1 (fuzzies) are the most common and pretty much the only promotions you are getting is for college. A bachelors degree still does equate to an E-4 though.

There are a few other here and there examples of advanced promotion.  For example, if you are a paramedic and enlist as a 68W through Army Civilian Aquired Skills Program (ACASP), they will give you E-4 and shave about 8 weeks of AIT off.  Basically, you skip the EMT-B portion and focus on just the medicine in a combat environment portions.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: nmkaufman0 on January 19, 2014, 02:24:52 AM

When I said "other 4 branches", I meant the branches of the Armed Forces other than the Air Force.

And...you said it correctly.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

68w20

Quote from: LSThiker on January 19, 2014, 05:30:43 AM
Quote from: JK657 on January 19, 2014, 04:49:20 AM

There are a few other here and there examples of advanced promotion.  For example, if you are a paramedic and enlist as a 68W through Army Civilian Aquired Skills Program (ACASP), they will give you E-4 and shave about 8 weeks of AIT off.  Basically, you skip the EMT-B portion and focus on just the medicine in a combat environment portions.

I wasn't aware they did.  We had several people fast-track through when I was at Ft. Sam in 2009, but only those with Bachelor's Degrees were E-4s.  Is this a recent change?

LSThiker

Quote from: 68w10 on January 19, 2014, 06:30:06 AM
I wasn't aware they did.  We had several people fast-track through when I was at Ft. Sam in 2009, but only those with Bachelor's Degrees were E-4s.  Is this a recent change?

I cannot say how long that has been around.  However, if I remember correctly, I heard about back in 2000.  Not all fast-trackers through 68W will get E-4.  If I recall correctly, if you are EMT-B, you only E-3 but still skip the first 8 weeks. 

JK657

As of about a month ago, they were not giving E-4 for anyone regardless of civilian skill. Thats for the NG, maybe active is different