Reshaping the Civil Air Patrol

Started by will3947, December 04, 2013, 03:48:49 AM

will3947

Hello. I have a somewhat sloppy list of some things I feel the CAP needs to do. Don't get me wrong, I love the program. I just think there are things we could do to make the CAP better then it is. See below:
Prefecting the CAP
1-standard issue gear
2-set of exams a squadron
Has to pass in order to
Receive funding
3-uniform inspections improved
4-re-look at regs/policies
5-any required repairs
6-penalize the corrupted
Squadrons.
Feel free to comment/add your ideas.

NCRblues

Uhh...

#1. Who is going to pay for that?

#2. What funding? Squadrons don't recieve funding.

#3. Agree

#4. Re-look? For what?

#5. What about required repairs? To what?

#6. Uh...under what criteria is a squadron "corrupt"?
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

jeders

Quote from: will3947 on December 04, 2013, 03:48:49 AM
Prefecting the CAP
You want to make us government officials? Ok.

Quote1-standard issue gear
Again, who's going to pay for it? What type of gear? What standard?

Quote2-set of exams a squadron
Has to pass in order to
Receive funding
So everyone in the squadron has to take these tests, or just the leadership?

Quote3-uniform inspections improved
Great idea, couldn't agree more. Why aren't you doing that already?

Quote4-re-look at regs/policies
I just went back and looked, they're all still there.

Quote5-any required repairs
Repairs to...what? Buildings that we don't own?

Quote6-penalize the corrupted
Squadrons.
And who is going to judge corruptness?

QuoteFeel free to comment/add your ideas.
It seems, based on the format and grammar/spelling, that this was written by a young cadet. If I'm wrong, I apologize for jumping to that conclusion. If I'm right, then how about learning how things actually work before coming up with great ideas. Further, how about thinking the ideas through so that it seems like you are capable of full rational thought and not just a teenager spouting off about things they know nothing about.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Private Investigator

For a Cadet that is just the way it is. In some states you can shop for a SQ with a few minutes of commute time. Other states you have to live with whatever the local SQ is because your parents will not let you drive an hour to another SQ.

Now for a Senior Member the first time you transfer to another Squadron because of job relocation you get hit with "culture shock". Especially if you go from a Senior SQ to a Composite SQ. Every SQ has its own culture. Some try to recreate the military memories of our youth and others just manage haphazardly to maintain a corporate aircraft.

FlyTiger77

1-standard issue gear

Great idea. Prohibitively expensive to implement

2-set of exams a squadron [h]as to pass in order to [r]eceive funding

As previously addressed, your thought here is unclear as is the source of funding you are attempting to limit

A local issue that should be simple to implement. If you are not in a position of authority, address it to the chain of command with a positve recommendation and execute when approved.

As this is an on-going process, you need to provide specifics as to what needs improved.

5-any required repairs

This is a local problem better addressed to your chain of command. They may already be aware of the issue but have funding restraints.

6-penalize the corrupted [ s]quadrons.

Allegations of corruption should be brought to the attention of the higher echelons of command either through the chain of command or the IG. I don't share your supposition that there are a great number of corrupt squadrons or even individuals in CAP. In my experience, the corrupt individuals are dealt with fairly and fairly quickly.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Private Investigator

1-standard issue gear
We know it is cold but everybody cannot be given a field jacket.

2-set of exams a squadron Has to pass in order to Receive funding
A SQ does monthly, quarterly, annual reports to prevent from being grounded.

That is your POV

You have to be more specific, but apparently you do not like them or how you believe they should be carried out.

5-any required repairs
Uncle Jed was busy fixing his tractor, but next week he'll fix the SQ toilet. For now the Kwik-E- Mart will do.

6-penalize the corrupted Squadrons.
The Petticoat Junction Squadron gets to host the Group/Wing Christmas party because Bubba Jr's dad owns the BBQ grill, no conspiracy here.

As a former Group Commander and Wing  IG, 98% of alleged issues are just misunderstandings and miscommunications.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Hello. I have a somewhat sloppy list of some things I feel the CAP needs to do. Don't get me wrong, I love the program. I just think there are things we could do to make the CAP better then it is. See below:

Prefecting Perfecting the CAP. FTFY. ;D

1-standard issue gear

Good idea, but not terribly practical when a lot of us get what we can find on the cheap at the local Army/Navy.  Fortune favoured me when I found a blue lightweight jacket (with liner) in like-new condition for $25.

2-set of exams a squadron has to pass in order to receive funding

Since Congress, through the Air Force, funds us, something like that would take Congressional agreement (an oxymoron these days) as well as a green light from the USAF, who, of course, do not have any bigger issues on their plate.  Good luck on both.  And pigs might fly outta my...

That would require:
A. The inspector to be thoroughly familiar with 39-1.
B. An up-to-date 39-1.
C. See "B."

As someone with a Master rating in Administration, I can tell you that just being familiar with the existing regulations and their myriad updates, ICL's, strokes-of-a-pen and other assorted niceties is a full-time job in itself.

5-any required repairs

As a former Safety Officer, I can tell you that there aren't enough hours in the life of a squadron, especially a flying unit (for which maintenance of the aircraft to CAP safety standards is Job #1) to get all that done.

6-penalize the corrupted Squadrons.

You have not heard of CAP's GOB/G ("Good Ole' Boy/Girl Network"), have you?

Often the definition of who is "corrupt" and who isn't depends on who is on Group, or more usually Wing, staff, and who their favourites and "targets" are.

If you were in when The One Who Is Not Named But Was A Very Corrupt So-And-So was National Commander, you would know that putting the kibosh on corruption is a LOT easier said than done.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

TexasCadet

Quote from: jeders on December 04, 2013, 03:31:50 PM
Prefecting the CAP
You want to make us government officials? Ok.

Quote1-standard issue gear
Again, who's going to pay for it? What type of gear? What standard?

Quote2-set of exams a squadron
Has to pass in order to
Receive funding
So everyone in the squadron has to take these tests, or just the leadership?

Quote3-uniform inspections improved
Great idea, couldn't agree more. Why aren't you doing that already?

Quote4-re-look at regs/policies
I just went back and looked, they're all still there.

Quote5-any required repairs
Repairs to...what? Buildings that we don't own?

Quote6-penalize the corrupted
Squadrons.
And who is going to judge corruptness?

QuoteFeel free to comment/add your ideas.
It seems, based on the format and grammar/spelling, that this was written by a young cadet. If I'm wrong, I apologize for jumping to that conclusion. If I'm right, then how about learning how things actually work before coming up with great ideas. Further, how about thinking the ideas through so that it seems like you are capable of full rational thought and not just a teenager spouting off about things they know nothing about.

Don't assume a young cadet equals a bad speller. I am a young cadet, and I spell correctly. I also type correctly, and a don't use expressions, such as IMHO, thx, LOL, or BTW. I spell them out.

i could type like this all the time. by the way thx lol

I cood tipe liek thiss al thu tiem. I spel reel good.

Instead, I type like this. "I am a cadet."

Your mileage may vary.

Prefecting the CAP
1-standard issue gear
2-set of exams a squadron
Has to pass in order to
Receive funding
5-any required repairs
6-penalize the corrupted
Squadrons.
Feel free to comment/add your ideas.

1. Why?
2. Why?
3. I have to agree with you there.
4. Why?
5. What repairs?
6. Which ones?

a2capt

..and here's a form to fill out to hand them when they get there.

Flying Pig

I do like the "Penalize the corrupted Squadrons"   I say I will inspect, and assess fines payable to me.  Who wants to step up and let me inspect your unit?

PHall

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 04, 2013, 11:17:50 PM
I do like the "Penalize the corrupted Squadrons"   I say I will inspect, and assess fines payable to me.  Who wants to step up and let me inspect your unit?

You're much too eager Rob. >:D

will3947

I apologize. This was thrown together at the last minute. I was a bit short on time, and really didn't look into most of that. Let me really say this:
1. We should really, for STARTERS. Really improve uniform inspections, and tighten our grip on that field. Some cadets I know have really awful uniforms, not following CAP 39-1. As in way off, and there should really be stricter policies on that.
2. Establish an annual squadron test on most fields, (Drill, SAR, Aerospace, Leadership, etc. PT shouldn't be part of it because, well, you know.).
3. And if the squadron has slacked/underperformed in a category, they should be punished.
Can we agree on that?

Eclipse

Cadet uniforms are probably the easiest to fix and the area where we have the least problems.  Frankly if it's more then
an anecdotal or occasional problem it's a local thing that is fairly easy to fix.  On the whole our cadets do a pretty good job
in regards to uniforms.

The annual tests are the expectations of progression.   If the system is run properly, that takes care of itself.

As to "punishment", how, exactly, do you "punish" a squadron.  A struggling squadron isn't going to get better
if you take away their toys, or make life more unpleasant then it already is.

Struggling squadrons need leaders and mentors to come in and help those already there run things properly.

"That Others May Zoom"

spaatzmom

Quote from: will3947 on December 05, 2013, 03:44:16 AM
I apologize. This was thrown together at the last minute. I was a bit short on time, and really didn't look into most of that. Let me really say this:
1. We should really, for STARTERS. Really improve uniform inspections, and tighten our grip on that field. Some cadets I know have really awful uniforms, not following CAP 39-1. As in way off, and there should really be stricter policies on that.
2. Establish an annual squadron test on most fields, (Drill, SAR, Aerospace, Leadership, etc. PT shouldn't be part of it because, well, you know.).
3. And if the squadron has slacked/underperformed in a category, they should be punished.
Can we agree on that?

First spacing your entries makes them much easier to read. 

Are you a cadet?  I ask as it seems through your content that you are.

Uniform inspections should be being done alone with constructive classes in how to wear them.  If this is not being done go through the chain of command to see about it.

With regard to annual squadron tests.  What would they consist of considering cadets should be testing in their next promotion requirements each month or 2 depending on the squadrons schedule for testing.  Drill, basic, should be done at every meeting at opening and closing formations.  If you mean competitive style drill, unless you have a team, why?

Lastly, squadrons are subject to SUI every so many years and if they are substandard then they are subject to the wrath of the wing king/queen until the problems are rectified.  What more do you want?

a2capt

That's a unit by unit problem, not a national problem, and for that matter, subject to interpretation. Some pissant little thing might horribly bug someone and be ignored by someone else. If you see issues now that are not being enforced, how is having additional layers of testing or inspecting going to fix it, if those too, are handled like existing methods are now? We don't need more. Enforce what we have.
Quote from: will3947 on December 05, 2013, 03:44:16 AM2. Establish an annual squadron test on most fields, (Drill, SAR, Aerospace, Leadership, etc. PT shouldn't be part of it because, well, you know.).
.. we have that already. It's a product of what it takes to advance in the organization. As for PT, why no PT? Afraid of something? Besides if all they're doing is once a month PT, they're not going to "pass" -anything- to advance. Those tests only get harder.
Quote from: will3947 on December 05, 2013, 03:44:16 AM3. And if the squadron has slacked/underperformed in a category, they should be punished.Can we agree on that?
Again. Enforce what we have.

will3947

Well in that case, I guess we should really enforce what we have. Again I didn't have too much time for the research.

Eclipse

Quote from: will3947 on December 05, 2013, 04:29:32 AM
Well in that case, I guess we should really enforce what we have.

Agreed, and in many many cases both in CAP and in terms of laws and regulations, that's the answer.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

I apologize. This was thrown together at the last minute. I was a bit short on time, and really didn't look into most of that.

Did you make these proposals because you're doing a project?  I'm wondering what you mean when you said you were short on time.

Okay, fair enough, although from my perspective the cadet leadership usually straightens out uniform problems pretty quickly.  The most uniform violations I see, personally, are from Senior Members, and usually those who are from Group and higher.  But that's my perspective, as a lowly squadron monkey.

Who will administer and grade these tests?

As CAP is a volunteer organization, a large majority of Senior Members have full-time jobs (sometimes more than one job).  And usually have their own families and other obligations.  My point being:  good luck finding somebody who has the time and resources to visit all the squadrons to perform annual tests in all of these categories.

"Captain, your drill team is lacking in coordination.  You know what that means, right?"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on December 05, 2013, 04:12:12 AM
As to "punishment", how, exactly, do you "punish" a squadron.  A struggling squadron isn't going to get better
if you take away their toys, or make life more unpleasant then it already is.

jeders

Quote from: TexasCadet on December 04, 2013, 10:17:30 PM
[Stuff]
Don't assume a young cadet equals a bad speller.
[More stuff]

You misunderstand me, young padawan. I never said that young cadet=bad speller. I said that bad speller=young cadet, or more precisely that because people with fewer years of experience with a language are generally worse at that language, the poor grammar and spelling most likely indicates that the poster is a young cadet.

After going back and reviewing his earlier posts, will3947 is the same person who started the CAP zombie apocalypse thread, and we all remember how productive that was. That said, this sounds more and more like a personal issue, not a legitimate corruption issue. If the OP is having problems, then they should be addressed through the chain of command instead of coming up with brilliantly unworkable and pointless ideas.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse