Squadron Reorganization

Started by Rafka, July 19, 2013, 04:52:42 PM

Rafka

My squadron is currently going through a leadership transition which makes it the best time to reorganize all of our positions and priorities. We are getting a new Cadet Commander I will be the new Deputy Cadet Commander. We want to try to setup our squadron so that we have all of the positions we need to run properly and keep cadets active without any overlap in command. We are decently sized unit (54 cadets and 28 Senior members) but maybe only half show up on a regular basis. My number one priority will be to improve our recruiting/retention and to promote higher participation and make cadets actually want to come to the meetings.  I'd like to get some ideas/suggestions/etc. on what we could implement. (e.g. New positions, merging postions, activities, etc.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TFO Joshua Rafka, CAP
Squadron Historian
Assistant IT Officer, Assistant Web Security Administrator
Hagerstown Composite Squadron

Pylon

The Cadet Staff Handbook was written for exactly this purpose.  It outlines not only all the duties (and how the responsibilities breakdown so you don't have the Flight Sgt doing Flight Cmdr duties or other "overlap" as you mentioned), but it gives a variety of possible cadet staff organizational charts for units with varying numbers of cadets and the seniority of the cadets in the unit.  Even with 25+ cadets showing up to meetings, your organizational chart would look different if you had, for example, almost all Cadet NCOs and Airmen versus a well-balanced unit with cadets in Phases I through IV.

Consult the Cadet Staff Handbook.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Rafka

Thank you very much. This will help me organize everything better. What I really need now is ideas for how to get the cadets participating during the meetings. Because almost our entire upper leadership of officers and NCOs left in a relatively short period of time we've been understaffed for a while. Now that we have more officers and NCOs we need to find new things for the cadets to do during the meeting. Cadets stop coming when most of what they do is Lectures and Drill. I was hoping to try to get them more involved in things they're actually interested in doing in the CAP (Honor Guard, Ground Team, etc.). I'm just not sure how to go about doing that.
TFO Joshua Rafka, CAP
Squadron Historian

Майор Хаткевич

54 cadets and the Cadet Deputy Commander is a 2d Lt? Did you guys have a big growth moment last year?

Pylon

There are resources for that out there, too.  You don't need to reinvent the wheel.  It's great that you've identified the problems you're experiencing with low cadet engagement and low attendance and it's also great you've identified your training schedule and activities as a weakness contributing to that.  You're on the right track.

You need to read through CAPR 52-16.  There are key portions about planning the squadron meeting, including sample schedules.  You need to keep in mind certain regulatory requirements when planning your schedule (physical fitness of some form must be conducted every month, testing must be offered every month, a 15-minute or longer safety briefing is required every month, a character development discussion is required every month, etc.).  From there, you then should be filling in the big blocks of time with the other major components of the cadet program, namely leadership and aerospace.

NHQ also has developed a sample 24-month training plan for a squadron:  http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/squadron-training-plan/   These include class ideas, activities, and lesson plans to pull it all off.

There's also the Leadership Activity Guide, which ties into the Learn to Lead leadership texts for achievements:  http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/L2L_Activity_Guide__Reduced_C6CAF79_7248B911E4E79.pdf

So when you schedule a leadership lab or time for aerospace, instead of "going through the book" you can be conducting a leadership or aerospace activity that will be interesting and helpful to all cadets, regardless of the achievement he or she is currently working on completing.

You should also review your job description for Cadet Commander in the Cadet Staff Handbook to figure out how much of this planning you should be doing yourself and what duties and responsibilities really should be handled by the Deputy Commander, your Aerospace Education Officer, your Leadership Officer, and others in the squadron chain of command.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Pylon on July 19, 2013, 07:29:26 PMNHQ also has developed a sample 24-month training plan for a squadron:  http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/squadron-training-plan/   These include class ideas, activities, and lesson plans to pull it all off.

Without this you're done before you start.

Get a simple-to-use calendar system and ensure everyone has access to it.  Literally sit them down at a unit meeting, open a laptop and
show them if you have to.

Start with the easy stuff - regular meetings, PT nights, testing nights, wing and other activities that are important, etc.  It will build it self to a certain extent.

Make sure every meeting has an agenda, and that you stick to it.  Hold people accountable for whatever is expected, and if a last minute change is needed, make sure everyone knows about it in advance.

For optional activities, make sure you have a good mix of "need vs. nice".  All work and no play generally fails, but so does all play.

Use those extra weeks for something everyone needs, don't skip them or let them fall to chance.

Make sure administrative stuff is followed up, that disengages people quick.

This is a good time to reboot - the fiscal year is going to end in September and then the money starts to flow again (in theory) in October.  Now
is when your wing will start asking for plans and budgets, so set some attainable goals like:

100% O-ride participation
x% increase in 99 O-rides
100% UDF qualified
100% 2-click promotions during the fiscal year
x% encampment participation

AEX is also a great way to build a team.

And get your seniors involved.  A lot of this is their problem.  "Cadet run" only goes so far, the seniors are the continuity.

"That Others May Zoom"

Rafka

Thanks for all of the input. Until recently we had no officers that came anymore but had 6 C/CMSgts. 5 of us promoted on the same night to C/2Lt. We also normally get around 2 to 5 new prospective cadets every week. Its a retention problem more so than a recruiting one.

We've always had a mix of programs and good people to do it. But we had poor guidance and execution. So anytime something was brought up it fell by the wayside. Our Cadet Commanders not showing up didn't help anymore.
TFO Joshua Rafka, CAP
Squadron Historian

TexasCadet

Then why were they cadet commanders?

Rafka

They did show up for a long time. But then outside work and other activities hit them. They were the highest ranking officers and pretty much all of the officers stopped showing up or only came infrequently.
TFO Joshua Rafka, CAP
Squadron Historian

Tim Day

+1 on the idea of having an agenda each night. When you have 5 meeting nights in a month, use the 5th one as an unstructured fun night, parent open house, or make-up training night.

My squadron uses a regular rotation for the weekly meetings.

1st Meeting: PT and CD or DDRX (PT Gear)
2nd Meeting: Safety (10 minutes) / AE (BDU)
3rd Meeting: Leadership (Blues)
4th Meeting: ES Training (BDU)

This simplifies planning and helps keep things predictable. Meaningful activities will retain your people and help motivate them. I encourage all my cadet leaders to take a look at the TLC course - although it's oriented toward Senior Members in Cadet Programs, I think it still helps.

http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/tlc_course/index.cfm

Also, set some long term goals. For example, in one year:
- We'll have a C/Capt
- We'll be able to field a cadet GSAR team (acknowledging you need a Senior Member to accompany)
- We'll have a cadet Color Guard, Drill Team, etc.
- We'll achieve quality cadet unit award (even if you don't make it, the criteria can form the basis for some objectives).
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander