Cadet Medics

Started by TexasCadet, July 14, 2013, 08:54:43 PM

TexasCadet

Every ground team has a team medic, who is the guy with the most medical training, etc. Can cadets be medics? And if so, how?

Jaison009

As valid a question as this is, this topic is going to go to a lock. I can already feel it...

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

TexasCadet

OK. I know CAP has specially trained personnel in the medical field. Can cadets do that?

lordmonar

Anyone in CAP is able to perform first aid (or any medial assistance up to their level of training) to save a life.

Beyond that there is no official CAP medic.

So to basically answer your question...yes cadets can do that.

But CAP is not a medical service.....we neither certify the training nor do we advertise ourselves as a medical provider.

So you would have to outside of CAP to get certification (although you can get said certification at CAP events...i.e. NESA and Hawk Mountain).
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Critical AOA

Quote from: lordmonar on July 14, 2013, 09:16:46 PM
Anyone in CAP is able to perform first aid (or any medial assistance up to their level of training) to save a life.

:clap:

That is all that really needs to be said or even considered by any member.

But I will add to it; first aid is a skill set that all members should possess at some level.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Eclipse

Darn, missed the fun...also agreeing with lordmonar, again...

"That Others May Zoom"

JayT

Quote from: TexasCadet on July 14, 2013, 09:09:28 PM
OK. I know CAP has specially trained personnel in the medical field. Can cadets do that?

CAP has no organic medical training. If you're interested in that sort of stuff, look towards your local VAC, FD, or EMS service.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: CAPR 60-31-24 f. First Aid and Emergency Medical Care
CAP is not an emergency medical care or paramedic organization and should not advertise itself as such. CAP will not be the primary provider of medical support on missions or training events...

There is no such thing as a CAP medic. 'Nuff said.

Eclipse

So, kidding aside, where does a cadet, or senior member for that matter, get the idea that there are CAP medics and
every GT has one?

HMRS which is not likely to be a significant factor in TXWG aside, that nomenclature does not exist in CAP's parlance,
and nothing beyond basic first aid is ever mentioned in the curriculum or the SQTRs, so where does that come from?

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on July 15, 2013, 04:02:29 AM
So, kidding aside, where does a cadet, or senior member for that matter, get the idea that there are CAP medics and
every GT has one?

HMRS which is not likely to be a significant factor in TXWG aside, that nomenclature does not exist in CAP's parlance,
and nothing beyond basic first aid is ever mentioned in the curriculum or the SQTRs, so where does that come from?
NESA teaches this concept.  Also if you look at the GT training material about Hasty Search Teams they mention a medic.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on July 15, 2013, 04:39:00 AM
every GT has one?

NESA teaches this concept.  Also if you look at the GT training material about Hasty Search Teams they mention a medic.

Just means that NESA and the Ground Team training material need to be updated to reflect the current regulations.

Woodsy

Quote from: TexasCadet on July 14, 2013, 08:54:43 PM
Every ground team has a team medic, who is the guy with the most medical training, etc. Can cadets be medics? And if so, how?

You're fired.

Larry Mangum

Quote from: lordmonar on July 15, 2013, 04:39:00 AM
every GT has one?

It may be in the GT training materials( which are being worked on), however NESA does not do Team Medic training. We do offer a class in Wilderness Advance First Aid, but that is it.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

TexasCadet

I guess my info was wrong. At my former squadron, the ES officer said that each team had a member who had taken all the medical courses, or at least a good number of them. If I ever hear him say something again, I'll probably take it with a grain of salt.

TexasCadet

One more question pertaining to medical. Are the QuikClot bandages a good idea for CAP?

jeders

Quote from: TexasCadet on July 15, 2013, 01:51:49 PM
One more question pertaining to medical. Are the QuikClot bandages a good idea for CAP?

If you want to spend $15 on a band-aid, be my guest. However, most of the first-aid injuries you will encounter will be paper cuts and minor scrapes with can be handled by a little antiseptic spray and a 10 cent band aid. Anything requiring a product such as a QuikClot bandage is going to be outside your abilities to begin with.

That said, if you plan on being in a remote area far enough away from air evac, it probably wouldn't be bad to have one or two of those things in a team pack.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Quote from: TexasCadet on July 15, 2013, 01:50:30 PM
I guess my info was wrong. At my former squadron, the ES officer said that each team had a member who had taken all the medical courses, or at least a good number of them.

Which "courses" would those be?

Here's the best course, whenever someone tells you something, even if it's something you want to hear, and especially in CAP, either ask them to show you the regs or look them up yourself
as soon as you can.  This isn't just a CAP thing, but a life thing as well.  It's the difference between laughing at Snopes and or being mad.

In this case, the SQTRs are your "bible" and will tell you everything you need to know about what is required for CAP ES ratings.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on July 15, 2013, 02:31:16 PM
In this case, the SQTRs are your "bible" and will tell you everything you need to know about what is required for CAP ES ratings.

Not to split hairs, but I think I would say that the reference texts are the bible, the SQTRs are the commandments or maybe one of the books therein. Just a thought.

Eclipse

Quote from: jeders on July 15, 2013, 02:37:29 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 15, 2013, 02:31:16 PM

Not to split hairs, but I think I would say that the reference texts are the bible, the SQTRs are the commandments or maybe one of the books therein. Just a thought.

Good point.

"That Others May Zoom"