Best 24 Hour Pack Configuration

Started by TexasCadet, July 13, 2013, 03:59:01 PM

TexasCadet

When I started ES, I got one large pack for my 24 hour gear. I found it to be impractical. Now I am trying to figure out how to carry my gear. I have two ideas how. One, use a smaller pack with pouches attached to it, and two, to use a small pack and a vest (preferably with webbing). I would like to use MOLLE everything. Based on your ES/SAR experiences, what would be the best configuration?

Eclipse

Quote from: TexasCadet on July 13, 2013, 03:59:01 PMBased on your ES/SAR experiences, what would be the best configuration?

Not Molle.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

"best" is a slippery term.

Here is what I look at.

Can you organize your stuff so that it is easy to get at those thing you need to get at?
Is the load evenly distributed?
Can you carry everything you need?
How easy is it to modify your load out?  24 hour gear for high summer is different than in the winter.
How easily can you modify your load out for 72 hours?

I would not spend a lot of money yet.  I would check out what other people are carrying....try out different things before you commit big dollars.

Molle gear is good in that you can always reconfigure as you need.

My personal load out is a molle vest with nothing on the back.  A Camel Back Mule to carry most of my 24 hour gear.  If I got to hump a bigger pack I have an Alice large that I can put the mule on top and carry everything I need for a long stay in the woods.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on July 13, 2013, 05:22:32 PM
^ This.
Is it not a sign of the apocalypse when you and I agree on something?  :)

Spaceman3750

Just use a regular backpack until you get qualified and figure out what you like. Then go buy as much quality as you can afford in your selected setup.

TexasCadet

Thanks, everybody. What are some good brands I can use? Stuff from popular companies, such as Blackhawk, are a bit pricey for me. I only need to complete 4 more tasks for GTM3, so I am not a complete newbie.

lordmonar

Quote from: TexasCadet on July 13, 2013, 07:17:54 PM
Thanks, everybody. What are some good brands I can use? Stuff from popular companies, such as Blackhawk, are a bit pricey for me. I only need to complete 4 more tasks for GTM3, so I am not a complete newbie.
Yeah.....well I'd wait until I was GTM1 and had a year or so under my belt before I went out and bought a full set up.
Use that year to look at other people's rigs and maybe try them out.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on July 13, 2013, 06:09:48 PM
^ This.

Yes!  Dogs and cats will soon cohabitate!

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on July 13, 2013, 08:08:13 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 13, 2013, 06:09:48 PM
^ This.

Yes!  Dogs and cats will soon cohabitate!
Dogs and cats, living together...mass hysteria. Listen! Do you smell something?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Hawk200

Quote from: TexasCadet on July 13, 2013, 07:17:54 PM
Look on eBay for the stuff you're interested in. You'd be surprised how much cheaper some stuff is.

kirbahashi

I remember a time when cadets used pistol belts, Y-harnesses, M16 pouches, and canteens for their 24 hour kit, and liked it! 

HA HA... just kidding, but not really.  That and pickle suits. 

But seriously.  Don't go overboard.  A backpack will do just fine.  I use a chest rig I acquired from my military days and use that with a camel back and that works pretty good.  My 72 is a kit bag I had.  My son inherited all of the Blackhawk gear I never wore.  Never wore it because I didn't like the feel, plus I thought it was too Gucci. 

Wear what works for you.  You are not missing anything by not having that "tacti-cool" Blackhawk gear.  Like I said, we made due with pistol belts and canteens back in the day.

If I ever decide to nerd out however, this is what I will upgrade to... http://www.truenorthgear.com/catalog/products/packs/aero-vest-urban

Best of luck!
There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk.

Walkman

I've tried several different loadout variations, and I still haven't found what the perfect one for me. Luckily I have a patient wife!

The next exercise you attend where there are lots of ground pounders around, I would suggest asking if you could try on some of the various rigs people use on a break. You'll see as much variety of systems as there are people on a wing-level exercise. Packs & vests fit everyone differently. Ask those that have some wear on their boots why they like the system they use now. It's one thing to do this here on CT, but another to have that convo in person. You'll get a much better understanding.

lordmonar

+1

For starters....just use your school backpack....that is plenty big enough to hold all your 24 hour gear.

Get with other people in your local area who are also just starting out to help split the cost when trying to find all the components to your 24 hour gear.  (100' of 550 cord is cheaper by the foot then a 10' hank from the surplus store, get 100 count bandaid box instead of a 10 count travel box, 100 count box of latex gloves instead of just 2, etc).

Don't buy a camelback....just buy 2 liters of water from the 7-11.

You don't have to go all Rambo right out of the gate.  Take your time, find out what works for others, and build your rig as you go along.  If you decide that GT is not for you, then you are not out a huge wad of cash.

Also....check with some old hands to see if they have old gear that they upgraded.

And finally.....there is nothing wrong with the old school LC-2 stuff......it is very cheap and while not as flexible as Molle, it is still good stuff.

Storm Chaser

There's some trial and error involved in finding the configuration that works best for you.

I wouldn't spend too much money, especially in the beginning. The reason being is that you need more experience to see what works and what doesn't. This experience is going to be unique to you and the type of missions you do. The last thing you want is to spend hundreds of dollars in gear, just to find out it's not what you wanted or needed. You also may want to see how active you'll be after qualification.

I've seen cadets spend a lot of money in GT gear that ends up collecting dust in a corner. If you continue to be active after GTM3 qualification and after you've had the chance of participating in a few more exercises and missions, then you'll be able to determine what you need and how much you'll be willing to spend for it.

And I also agree with lordmonar's advice... I know, shocking!  ;D

CavScout

After a recent price check on the older, but common LCE pieces, they are dirt cheap these days. If you are willing to spend a little more, you can still get milsurp MOLLE II. It's a ton more adaptable.

Also, if you take the shingle triple mag pouches, bandolier, etc out and resell them, you can make some of your money back.

Milsurp camelbak for a water source. They are cheap, replacement bladders are cheap, and you'll likely stay better hydrated. I have no idea what the color requirement is though. Field use might be whatever, but activities may dictate it be black or woodland CP.

It's usually a lot more convenient and comfortable to keep your pouch and gear off of your back for vehicle ops.

Best of luck.

TexasCadet

What is LCE and MOLLE II? I've only heard of ALICE and MOLLE.

Sapper168

Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

TexasCadet

SierraOneThree

Bit late to the party, but MOLLE-II is garbage. Stay awaaay from MOLLE-II.

MOLLE equipment is excellent, and there are plenty of MOLLE packs out there that would be excellent for the more active team members out there. Blackhawk equipment really is no longer anywhere close to top-tier anymore either. :(